280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning, Horsepower, and bling bling

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 12:10 PM

Tuning, Horsepower, and bling bling

all right. I am almost to the point where I have collected all the parts for my 81 turbo. My question being, I have 330cc injectors which if I calculated right should be enough to handle well over 300 horses, and I want them to be at the right duty cyle while maintaining the correct fuel mixture without getting a stand alone. This is my first car that I have done anything like this to, and need a little help in tuning it in right.
Obviously I need a air/fuel ratio gage. Will a Autometer work with out with the stock 02 sensor??? And also where can I adjust this ratio, AFM + regulator??? I understand the idea of the fuel pressure regulator being set to the right level to support the correct hp(hopefully 300 at the engine someday) at a certain boost, but I also want to make sure my injectors aren't over working time...
I know I am thowing a lot out there without knowing much myself. Just need somewhere to start. Thanks for your time

Thanks,
Jason
Old 02-13-2005, 08:46 PM

As far as I know, nobody makes a piggyback computer for our cars. Just keep in mind, the EFI in these cars was designed in 1975 ...

An Autometer gauge is plenty fine - however, I asked a local shop guru about using the stock O2 sensor, and he strongly opposed it. Something about it sending false readings to both the gauge and ECU because of more objects reading the signal instead of just the ECU itself. Your best bet would be to get another sensor anyway, and replace the stock one while you're at it.

As for AFR adjustment, I believe the AFM is where to look. I can't honestly say, because I haven't adjusted mine, nor do I plan to, as I'll be running an Electromotive TEC-III standalone in the near future. Just remember, it's better to run rich than lean ...

Hope this helps,
-Dave-O
Old 02-14-2005, 01:49 PM

all right dave thanks for your insight. I was afraid of the fact I would have to get a new o2 sensor. Damn money.

Thanks,
Jason