280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trouble getting turbo swap running.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 01:41 PM

trouble getting turbo swap running.

Ok so i bought a 280zx with a turbo L28 swapped in and the engine runs so rich that i can't even get it started. Plugs are immediately SOAKED when the key is turned. spark and timing are good though. Now the guy i purchased the car from never completed the swap and the car still has the N/A ECU with the large single connector, N/A distributor, and the N/A wiring harness. I have since replaced the fuel pump with a new one made for the L28et and a turbo AFM i bought from ebay. My question is would the car in theory, run with the N/A ECU, distributor, and wiring harness or do i absolutely NEED to replace those parts with those for a turbo engine?
Old 07-26-2005, 02:38 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

What I have learned on here, from reading other posts. Is you have to replace those parts for the Turbo to work right. ECU, fuel injectors, AFM, distributor, etc... You can't run a Turbo on n/a components. Most of them anyway, I need some input from the pros here!

All aside, I want to eventually Turbo my '82 he is n/a right now. But later on I want to go all out, and replace everything, get a turbo motor, rebuild it if need be. And that way it will run right, because he will have the right components. Hope this helps you, hopefully other experts on here, will give you more info.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:44 PM

im not an expert but you need the turbo ECU, turbo AFM, turbo fuel pump & injectors, and i dont think you need the dizzy..
it may be dependant on year tho.. ask bleach on that one..
Old 07-26-2005, 07:07 PM
Bleach is my Hero

I think you can pull it off with a N/A ECU you will run more lean I would think. .. Was the motor timed #1 TDC when you put it in?? Also is it getting spark at al???
Old 07-26-2005, 10:41 PM

you dont want to run lean with turbo though.. otherwise.. kaboom!
oh and if yu keep trying to start it over and over your engine is going to be overflooded.. take out the spark plugs and let it sit overnight.. when i was tryin to get my car started at first after rebuilding i flooded the engine and i couldnt get it started no matter what i did.. so i finall took the plugs out and just let it air out over night and came back in the early afternoon and replaced them and it started up within a few turns..

another option may be to just pull the plugs and dry them out and then spray some starter fluid in the intake and then try cranking it.. acetone and alcohol.. thatll get her goin in no time...

Last edited by assimilated420; 07-26-2005 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:04 AM
The Evil Twin

Two options

Run all NA stuff. NA air flow meter, distributor, fuel injectors, ECU. Keep the turbo itself down to low boost. 5-6psi and no more. Premium fuel only.

Run all turbo stuff. (recommended) Turbo AFM, distributor, wiring harness to ECU, ECU, injectors. This way things will run proper for low and higher boost. Still do research on how to set up a higher boost turbo engine before you just start turning the boost up.

For now, take out that turbo AFM and stick the NA AFM in there and see what happens. Make sure the block and head temp sensors are plugged in. Both are on the passenger (right) side of the engine.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:28 AM

alright ill try airing out the cylinders first to see if i can get this thing started. does it really take overnight to completely dry?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:35 PM

well not necessarily.. depends on how flooded they are.. id clean off the plugs in the process..
Old 07-28-2005, 01:05 PM

if you have acetone or some alcohol.. or starter fluid.. same stuff mixed.. spray that in the cylinders and replace the plugs and she'll be roaring in no time.. unless of course another problem is preventing you from starting.. 4 things you need to run.. air, fuel, spark, compression.. and it all has to be timed correctly.. youre getting spark and fuel you say.. and air usually is no problem so make sure your compression is good.. if all checks out then she should start.. acetone is HIGHLY volatile so just a smidgen will do ya.. that stuff is 10x more explosive than gasoline so BE CAREFUL! too much and you can easily blow out a cylinder if you use too much.. just a few drops in a cylinder.. otherwise just stick with starter fluid sprayed into the intake
Old 07-27-2008, 03:32 AM

be carful with ether, it doesnt like pistons and can burn a hole through them if you use to much.

Originally Posted by assimilated420
if you have acetone or some alcohol.. or starter fluid.. same stuff mixed.. spray that in the cylinders and replace the plugs and she'll be roaring in no time.. unless of course another problem is preventing you from starting.. 4 things you need to run.. air, fuel, spark, compression.. and it all has to be timed correctly.. youre getting spark and fuel you say.. and air usually is no problem so make sure your compression is good.. if all checks out then she should start.. acetone is HIGHLY volatile so just a smidgen will do ya.. that stuff is 10x more explosive than gasoline so BE CAREFUL! too much and you can easily blow out a cylinder if you use too much.. just a few drops in a cylinder.. otherwise just stick with starter fluid sprayed into the intake