280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightmare my gf wreaked my lady!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 AM

Nightmare my gf wreaked my lady!!!!

Ok so I’ve been spending allot of time effort getting my 83 280zx none turbo t-top 5speed in good working condition, I finally get to that point getting her all dialed in and start making plans for the future. And then my girl goes and does this to her!!!!! I’m thinking she got jealous and wanted her out of the way hahahahha no jk but that would never happen..(Me getting rid of the Z that is ) So i've been on a search to find a new to me ride, a decent start and wanted to know from all you experience zedsters the range of yrs I can go to use my car as a parts car for the new lady. Differences in models, L28 to L28e, auto to 5 speed swap difficulties ect, ect down the line. Not much in my area wouldn’t mind going to a 2+2 for the extra seats but don’t really care for the look of them. As far as slick top there’s no differences right? Besides the obvious wiring changes?? Have found a couple of 300z and a 240 but really love the 280 plus I have all the extra parts all ready. Any thought’s, comments, advise or otherwise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Nightmare my gf wreaked my lady!!!!-straight-.jpg   Nightmare my gf wreaked my lady!!!!-bck.jpg   Nightmare my gf wreaked my lady!!!!-fwd.jpg  

Last edited by ZguyECV; 11-16-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:38 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Aww man that sucks! What did she do, to get it like that? And I think you should try and get it fixed. Is that the only damage? Is the frame still straight?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Big Poppa

man that is easy to fix that, a door and a quarter panel. i guessing by your post and small amount of damage your gf is fine.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:37 AM
The Evil Twin

Looks totaled. Those rear panels are a pain to fix.

Keep that car and make it her daily driver. She'll never forget (dont' fix the door or leaky roof for her) muahaha!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Aww man that sucks! What did she do, to get it like that? And I think you should try and get it fixed. Is that the only damage? Is the frame still straight?

She was practicing driving stick she was getting pretty good, I was in the passenger seat. she went to make a left at a main intersection it changed from the green arrow to solid green, and a mighty max pick up came through the intersection on the other side I guess he thought wed clear the lane before he got to us but he was wrong.

I belive the frame is straight the roof did buckle right at the t-top but, it does still come out might have tweaked the axle ill find out today after the adjuster comes out and i can cut the pannle off of the tire so i can drive it.

Last edited by ZguyECV; 11-16-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bleach
Looks totaled. Those rear panels are a pain to fix.

Keep that car and make it her daily driver. She'll never forget (dont' fix the door or leaky roof for her) muahaha!

That’s a good idea let her drive it around the way it is huh lol loving that idea

Last edited by ZguyECV; 11-16-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
man that is easy to fix that, a door and a quarter panel. i guessing by your post and small amount of damage your gf is fine.
Yea she’s fine got a lil bruising from the seat belt locking up but otherwise ok. I’m really sore on my right hip and backs tweaked a lil but nothing serious.

I thought these were uni-bodies and the rear panels couldn’t be replaced unless you cut out the old ones and welded in new ones off another car??? The door pillar and quarter in totally smashed in, I thought she was done totaled. Im sure the insurance is going to say the same, and pay me off instead of fixing it so it’ll be a salvaged title so wont be worth putting a whole lot of money into her so, that’s why I was leaning to getting another car with a clean title. So i can make a nice ride i want to but on a body kit wing paint bored engine maybe go turbo ect ect. You know!!

Thanks Guys keep em coming..
Old 11-16-2010, 02:02 PM

I say sell her...she has been damaged and may not perform as well as she used to. You will always know that she is damaged goods and it may bother you in the future.

Besides, you and the ZX will be much happier without her.

I hate seeing smashed Z's...it just means someone pulled the wings off of an angel somewhere.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by ZXGrinch
I say sell her...she has been damaged and may not perform as well as she used to. You will always know that she is damaged goods and it may bother you in the future.

I hate seeing smashed Z's...it just means someone pulled the wings off of an angel somewhere.
Yes I hate seeing any good/cool car/truck smashed up. I even hate seeing it in movies where those guys total perfectly good classics.

The gf is unsellable those you just get rid of. lol. The zx and I would have been allot happier if I had done so before this had happened. As far as bothering me, if I can get her fixed up the only thing that would bother me would be the value of the z on a salvaged title so I wouldn’t want to put into her what I was planning to.

So does anyone have any Idea about: 1 being able to get the door pillar straight enough to have a new door work properly, 2. the replacement rear quarter panel from black dragon? Is it an overlay or a weld in?

I will post more pics tomorrow with that pass door open and door pillar and rq panel.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Um Looking at it. its kinda a goner. Its had to have buckled the frame. and even if you fix manage to fix it theframe structure is compromised so it will never be as good as it was.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Über User

Arrows don't just go from green to a solid green. there is a yellow light in between. And I have a hard time believing the truck crossed the intersection at full speed without even considering yielding to any other traffic even the slightest on a fresh green... Plus from the time a green arrow turns to a yellow arrow then to just a solid green, the other side STILL doesn't turn from red to green for another 2 seconds. This story does not add up. Either the truck blew a red and is a complete fu-ck-tard in which case I'd assume a witness woulda stayed to support you in the police report, cause I sure would have, or your GF is like many women drivers, impatient and not practical, and not always paying that good of attention and get this sense of invulnerability behind the wheel, and cut through the intersection expecting the oncoming traffic to wait for her since their crap had just turned green somewhat recently. In which case, don't let that broad touch your vehicles.

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 11-17-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:49 AM
The Evil Twin

She gets smashed Z. Seller her car and buy yourself a 280ZX turbo with the money. You can buy my Z if you want just as long as you never let her drive it!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Tough Guy

Originally Posted by ZXGrinch

Im real upset that you beat me to this type of comment.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
Arrows don't just go from green to a solid green. there is a yellow light in between. And I have a hard time believing the truck crossed the intersection at full speed without even considering yielding to any other traffic even the slightest on a fresh green... Plus from the time a green arrow turns to a yellow arrow then to just a solid green, the other side STILL doesn't turn from red to green for another 2 seconds. This story does not add up. Either the truck blew a red and is a complete fu-ck-tard in which case I'd assume a witness woulda stayed to support you in the police report, cause I sure would have, or your GF is like many women drivers, impatient and not practical, and not always paying that good of attention and get this sense of invulnerability behind the wheel, and cut through the intersection expecting the oncoming traffic to wait for her since their crap had just turned green somewhat recently. In which case, don't let that broad touch your vehicles.
Ok well there snwbrderphat540…first of all I don’t give a **** if my “story” doesn’t make sense to you but ill respond any way further more I really didn’t go into detail about how it happened just gave the general idea of the situation .. Ok I can say that I don’t know jack about Lemont, Illinois, but obviously you know the same about California mmmmmk. The lights at any intersection vary on how old, or new they are, and what system they are running on. At this particular intersection the green arrow for the turn lanes turns from a green arrow to a solid green to solid yellow to solid red. A yellow arrow doesn’t even exist reason being is because the turn lane changes from a green arrow turn lane having the right away to a solid green meaning yield to oncoming traffic at which point the light changes from red to green on the apposing side. This is California and a typical thing that happens here. Have you ever hear the saying a yellow light runner getting hit by a green light anticipator. Guess not cuz this is Cali and not the mid west. So the trk didn’t run a red light he kept his speed up as it changed to green and thought that wed clear the lane before he got to us well he was wrong. As for my gf is it partially her fault no its not she was already at speed entering the turn the only thing she could have done would have been to down shift and nail it and gotten out of the way if she was more experienced driving a stick then she might have.. As for the rest of what you have said yes women drivers are always a bit stupid on the road. The way I see it is u jumped on my thread talking **** about something because it didn’t make sense to you which wouldn’t have bothered me cuz I did ask for thoughts or comments, if you had some sort of technical information or advise to lend which you did not so in my book as of now you’re the fu-ck-in tard. My opinion might change in the future well see.

Originally Posted by Bleach
She gets smashed Z. Seller her car and buy yourself a 280ZX turbo with the money. You can buy my Z if you want just as long as you never let her drive it!
The z is my ride I just taught her how to drive stick the week before and was letting her get some more practice. **** happens I’m not mad just totally bummed out. Id love to buy a 280zx turbo is that what u got and what would you be letting her go for and why. AND she will not be driving anymore of my rides Ill keep the smashed one fix it and let her drive the salvage title one… If it happens again shame on me and she’s gone lol on all other notes she’s a great young girl and we fit well. But if she starts to wreak cars the way my x-wife did forget it lmao

Last edited by ZguyECV; 11-18-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
Um Looking at it. its kinda a goner. Its had to have buckled the frame. and even if you fix manage to fix it theframe structure is compromised so it will never be as good as it was.
Yea blue your right the body did buckle at three places. Just above the roof line next to the t-top, just under the door latch pin, and inside just below the quarter window bout 4” from the door frame. If I can get it all straighten out. it will never be as good as new and if I was to get into another wreak one being worse then this or at any type of real speed the body being compromised on that side would be the weakest point and would go first no matter where the impact started, as far as cabin buckle that is.

Good thing is that the underside frame and axle is ok. I straighten out the wheel well and got it off the tire and had clearance for any bounce, bunggied on the door to keep it from popping open and took her out for a good drive both low and high speeds I had no dog legging (had a friend following) handled well even hitting corners both sides seemed to respond as normal. So I think I’m going to try to repair the damage and see how well I can get er done. will post more pic's tomorrow after I bang on her some more.

Last edited by ZguyECV; 11-18-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:32 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Awesome man, that's good to know your Z is not too bad off. Good luck on the repair, and hope all goes well.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Über User

RAWR!!!! some-one got butt hurt of me inquiring. The only reason I did is because you made no point as to if you are getting any insurance form the truck driver or your insurance, that is assuming you had something other than just liability in the instance if it were your GF's fault or irregardless of faults in a cops eye and he assigns shared fault and you guys have to take care of your own vehicles respectively. My point was simply to find out if I should pity your loss or if you/your gf fcuked up. In which case, like I said, don't let the broad drive again.

You made yourself look really little with that out lash to maybe not a sympathetic message, but not one that implied any attack on you. At least not yet.

If you want technical input, you can make it look straight again, but with more money than it's worth unless you can do full body shop work. It's not cheap to get a rear quarter replaced and painted nor to get the roof line pulled enough to look straight or the worst case scenario, cut off and replaced as well. Doors are simple. and the Front fender looks ok and you can get the lower jambs pulled simply enough.

Don't cry little fella... it'll be ok...

And as for the midwest, we have both setups, but in either case, there is a delay from the yellow arrow/green arrow, until the solid green goes active on both sides, more than enough for anyone crossing the intersection to get out of the way or stop in time.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:47 PM

Awesome man, that's good to know your Z is not too bad off. Good luck on the repair, and hope all goes well.
Thanks as do I its been awhile so we’ll see how it goes. I’ll keep posting updates..

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
RAWR!!!! some-one got butt hurt of me inquiring. The only reason I did is because you made no point as to if you are getting any insurance form the truck driver or your insurance, that is assuming you had something other than just liability in the instance if it were your GF's fault or irregardless of faults in a cops eye and he assigns shared fault and you guys have to take care of your own vehicles respectively. My point was simply to find out if I should pity your loss or if you/your gf fcuked up. In which case, like I said, don't let the broad drive again.

You made yourself look really little with that out lash to maybe not a sympathetic message, but not one that implied any attack on you. At least not yet.

If you want technical input, you can make it look straight again, but with more money than it's worth unless you can do full body shop work. It's not cheap to get a rear quarter replaced and painted nor to get the roof line pulled enough to look straight or the worst case scenario, cut off and replaced as well. Doors are simple. and the Front fender looks ok and you can get the lower jambs pulled simply enough.

Don't cry little fella... it'll be ok...

And as for the midwest, we have both setups, but in either case, there is a delay from the yellow arrow/green arrow, until the solid green goes active on both sides, more than enough for anyone crossing the intersection to get out of the way or stop in time.
No I didn’t get butt hurt I got annoyed because either way if i am getting money or not from the insurance companies. Which I didn’t say it doesn’t matter this is the issue at hand. So shall you pity me if I or the girl ****ed up who cares whose fault or why just at the fact that this is the issue. I am not here for pity. If anything if you’re a z lover you should feel for the car it self and/or the owner who is obviously a z enthusiast as well. I do understand your thinking why bother helping someone who just smashed up there ride if that’s how the treat it then they shouldn’t have it in the first place, but that’s not the case. As for making myself appear little lol I dnt believe so I find it completely ridiculous of people that get on the internet web sites forums ect and talk down to people its little minded people who dnt stand up for themselves in life who have that tendencies.

As for the work to be done although I may not have journeymen experience across the board I know my way around the shop and jobsites and do 95% all my own work I don’t believe in all these people that take there vehicles and pay thousands of dollars to get them fixed up with a lil bit of research and technical ability can do it themselves for a 1/8 or 1/16 of the cost.

The only tear I have shed would be for the poor smashed up lady sitting in my driveway that just was at the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong driver.

If you have both set ups then why wouldn’t you understand the situation from the get go but again I wasn’t hear to talk about the accident how it happened who’s at fault if i am getting funds or not.

This is a forum for Z Repairs and insight from a collective group is it not??

P.S. Since you where so concerned with the fault or money return from this there was a pd report, yes there was a witness and the insurance co are still processing paper work . So the other driver and myself are still waiting to get a response it’s only been four days now.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:16 AM
Über User

The simple fact is if the car wash smashed from a bad driver, then why should I care, if it were the trucks fault, I supposed the better word would have been sympathy. And I never talked down to you in the first post, it was all relative to the situation. Which is technically theoretical. YOU are the one who flipped their **** and went bananas so at that point, yea, i'll definitely loose some politeness. Mostly out of leisure, because I don't really care.

For the car, either way, I guess I feel a bit sorry for it... But I don't care much for the S130, let alone an NA one. I honestly feel they are only valuable as drivetrain doners for the S30.

And what's the difference between getting butt-hurt and annoyed if you lash out in either instance? I see none.

For the work, I never really insinuated your capabilities nor insulted them, BUT you ask our opinions, which means you probably don't personally have the experience nor the equipment to tackle a BIG EVENT such as this one where the majority of the car is now a curve instead of a straight line lol. I don't have the tools, I do have access to someone that does though and could fix it. But in the end, it still would seem like to much of my own time to attempt to fix that.

I don't trash these cars by any means nor look down on them, but they aren't an original shelby daytona, so I have to be realistic and know when a car is worth MY MONEY and time or not. If it were the other dudes insurance money though, I'd milk them for all they are worth. Then debate on using the money to fix the car or to part it make more money and then buy another Z and holy poop look at that, I have a profit!

See, I have an angle to my original post, it wasn't just to tell you not to let your woman drive your Z anymore. Which other than that, there wasn't anything remotely insulting about the post, you could interpret it as condescending if you'd like, but who's to say that's how I pictured it when I typed it? I just like to live in factual worlds.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:40 AM

Ok buddy we can do this till the end of time. Just makes me think to why youd post on it at all. So lets just call it a wash shall we..
Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 PM

ok so I’ve made some progress, her shape is starting to come back but still got allot of work to do to get her straightened out properly, but I believe that with some time ill be able to get her pretty close and have to finish off with some bondo. starting to wish I had taking the time to learn the old fashion way to do body work when I had the chance but I was to young and impatient at the time, that guy has now past and don’t think there is anyone that still knows how. I know I don’t know anyone that does. So here’s some pics of how she’s coming. The first shot is before I started on the body wrk just got everything outa the way and the smahed door off and gutted.

Got a call back from the guy with the 2+2 countered with 600 might do it just to have another. Drive it for awhile and make some money. She is all there and has been sitting for nine yrs. When I looked at it seems to be in pretty good condition even still has the stock lovers on it. Said that the owner had just parked it and bought his wife a new car instead of dealing with some miner issues. Jumped it and the motor turned over first try, didn’t start of course the gas has long turned. Have him checking to see if they had taking care of the non op or if it’s off dmvs books
Attached Thumbnails Nightmare my gf wreaked my lady!!!!-1290207955852.jpg   Nightmare my gf wreaked my lady!!!!-1290222769423.jpg   Nightmare my gf wreaked my lady!!!!-1290214257411.jpg   Nightmare my gf wreaked my lady!!!!-1290214211116.jpg   Nightmare my gf wreaked my lady!!!!-1290222829602.jpg  

Old 11-20-2010, 12:51 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Wow, looks like you are making progress. Keep at it man.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

If you know how to spot and braze weld. you can drill out that quarter panel and order a new one from black Dragon. and I "Think" you might be able to order the part where the latch bolts to from Nissan themselves. as for where the door hinges go. I really have no clue. you might be able to order that panel but it might be a pain to change.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:44 AM

Wow, looks like you are making progress. Keep at it man.
Thanks bro positive encouragement is always welcomed in my presents as I like to give it out as well, Makes everything go a whole lot smother and puts a nice state of mind into work.

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
If you know how to spot and braze weld. you can drill out that quarter panel and order a new one from black Dragon. and I "Think" you might be able to order the part where the latch bolts to from Nissan themselves. as for where the door hinges go. I really have no clue. you might be able to order that panel but it might be a pain to change.
Yes I can do both as well as ark, mig and tig. Although I don’t have the equipment here at home I, do have ark but running a stick is way to hot for sheet metal. I could barrow or rent them though. From what I can tell from reading the black dragon is there rq panel is just the outer skin and more then likly as for repop panels go are a whole lot thinner gauge then factory. So I could do that rather then slapping bondo on to make it look clean again, after I get the interior walls back in place. To be able to get that done need the force and strength of the outer skins to remain intact so they move together. I will look into Nissan for the door pillar that would make completion and proper alignment easier as well as the door seals to sit straight, thanks for that info. And luckily the front qp and pillar are fine other then a small dent line at the bottom of it if that was gone too I would go ahead and part this one out for another that would be just to much damage to bother with. Thanks guys back to banging, keep ya posted, later.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

I hope you get that Z all fixed up!

Quick Reply: Nightmare my gf wreaked my lady!!!!