280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Z Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 12:53 PM

New Z Owner

Hi, Just recently (last week) purchased a 1980 280zx. Bought it as my personal beater while my daily driven 65 Mustang gets a quick makeover (Putting a 174 roots blower on it).

Huge difference between it and my 65. But beater isn't the term I'd care to give it, I'm actually starting to like it!

It seems to be pretty original with a whopping 196,000 on it, yet drives well. It's a gold exterior with a tan Cloth Insert Vinyl edged interior. I was wondering if there was a way to decode the VIN? I looked on the firewall and saw a tag for paint code, yet its blank so I'm not sure on that one. I'm just starting in the paint business, working as a prepper at the moment doing some moderate body work here and there. The cars basically straight as an arrow, doesn't appear as if its ever been in a wreck minus the fact that the passenger side of the lower valance is bent in a bit. Goal is though once the Mustangs done I'd like to give it a quick go over (Minor surface rust on roof and lower doors) and try my hand at painting it.

Couple questions technical wise; Theres a black button (Says PULL) to the right of the steering wheel on lower side of dash, can't seem to figure out what this is for? Also, is there a place I can get a owners manual for it? I checked ebay but found 'em for a '79 and '83.
The self check usually checks out OK, but sometimes, it'll stay red and after pushing the check button it'll show "Water". Popped the cap on the radiator and its full (Actually a bit too full it appears, almost to the top lip of the radiator) would this cause the light to stay on? Also Battery light comes on at night with Lights and Heater on, assuming the alternators not putting out enough.

Is there a tag on the rear end to tell whether its a Limited Slip or not?

One of the injectors has a hairline crack in it, not sure whether its leaking or not, but I'd like to go ahead and replace it, Theres (2) local pick n pulls here that I frequented for parts for my stang; I've rarely seen Z's there though, are there other cars that an injector would be the same from? Or need I just goto the part store and grab one, hoping for the pick n pull so I can grab an alternator as well.

In the future I'd love to slap a turbo on it, I haven't got a chance to read any back posts on turbos yet, I know in 81 they came out with the ZXT. I did find out that I have the P79 head though. Are there any good tech articles out there to give this lil car some more oomph. I'd love to have a blown Mustang and Turbo'd Z. Best of both worlds.
Thanks For Any Help/Input,
Luke
Old 05-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Bleach is my Hero

I kinda got lost in the 2 page story there, but on the water issue, the sensor is in the overflow tank and mine has to be at least 1/2 way full in order for it to stay clear. p.s. Welcome to the ZX Familia. and if you want some carbonfiber parts for your car go to www.zspecgarage.com
Old 05-08-2005, 03:53 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Hey man welcome to the Z family. Pretty soon you will love the car even more. I own 2 Z's. And I want another one! Sometime I want an older 280z. I love the interior in them. And they are easier to find then a 240 or 260. But like s/cl3.0 was saying. You just need to put water in your overflow. And as for injectors for now to save money. I get remanufactored ones for $20 after the $10 core. I get them at Autozone. And they work quite well. Well good luck on your Stang, and your new Z. I too like musclecars. I own a Firebird and Trans Am. I am trying to get rid of the Firebird on E-bay it doesn't look good.

I am rambling, so again good luck to you, and your new experience with Z cars!
Old 05-08-2005, 04:15 PM

Here's the breakdown on the VIN for you:
H=L28E
G=2+2, a space here means Coupe(2seater)
S130=This is the chassis code for the 280zx
######=This is just the production number.

If your VIN is layed out different then this one let me know. Otherwise this should be the layout for the ZX up 2/81.

The black handle, I believe is used for something to do with the climate control system. I just don't know what exactly. Vent maybe?

Are you looking for the actual owners manual, like the thing you stick in your glovebox, or like a shop manual? The owner manuals come around, but they can be hard to find in good shape.
And sometimes that resevoir sensor gets stuck and stops floating. Then it will always say you need coolant. I've had that happen to me with two different units.

Good luck with your Z
Old 05-08-2005, 05:51 PM

Is the crack in the actual injector, or just on the plastic injector holder? If it's just the holder, don't bother.

Also, I'm pretty sure the "pull" thing you've mentioned is for the outside vent opening or closing (or something like that).

Welcome to the Z family. You can get a factory service manual on CD at Courtesy Nissan in Texas (Google it). About $60, or Ebay should have something. If nothing else, just get a Haynes....
Old 05-08-2005, 07:12 PM

Thanks for all the responses; sorry for the lengthy first post. Wanted to be a writer before I started in the autobody field .

The crack in the injector, not sure whether its in the holder or the injector itself so I'll have to check for that tomorrow.

As for the owners manual, I meant the actual owneres manual (glovebox). Somehow or another a buddy of mine ended up with a copy of Mitchell on Demand so I'm not in need of a service manual, that should cover a good bit of it I'm hoping.

Thanks for the tip on the overflow, never thought of that.

I'll have to get some pics together and post them of the Z, is there a specific forum for off-topic stuff?

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions, but don't want to drag out this one post to an endless questionaire.
Thanks Again for the help,
Luke
Old 05-09-2005, 08:33 AM

Owners Manual

mooney
i've got an 81 zx, came with a 1980 owners manual. send me your address and you can have it.
my email is BJ_BISIG@YAHOO.COM
Old 05-09-2005, 12:19 PM

Hi,
Thanks Bisig, I went ahead and shot you a PM.
Thanks,
Luke