280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 08:18 PM

And don't come back until you get something done
Old 12-20-2005, 08:44 PM

If the engine crankshaft and the tranny input shaft are not fairly well aligned during dissassembly the input shaft will bind on the clutch, and make it a bitch to remove.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by jmmorriso
...and make it a bitch to remove.
From my experience thats an understatement
Old 12-20-2005, 11:10 PM

I am done whining. Now it's personal!! Okay 240 motor seperated. But got another problem. I was keeping the old motor just hanging by a hoist halfway above the engine bay. Till my friend would let me store the 300 in his garage. So tonight I moved my 300 over to his garage. Okay great. I got the other half of my garage to use, to work. So just like any other night, I go to lift the motor up and move it over to my now cleared work space. And what happens, the lift decided to quit working. It wont lift it high enough to get it out the car. It just wont lift, pump on the handle, no resistance and no lifting. So now I got a motor half way out the car, resting about a half inch above the front end piece. No way to get it back in or out. And no way to get the other lift close enough to grab it. So what do I do???

It is so personal now. No matter how much this son of a b**** fights me, she will run again and she will get fixed back up and she will look great and run like a champ. She will probably put up a great fight, but she will lose in the end!!! I will be VICTORIOUZ
Old 12-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Big Poppa

Take A Piece Of Wood And Cut It To Fit Under The Arm At A Long Point. Hammer The Wood Closer To The Smaller Part And Pump The Piston. Once Up It Should Stay. Get Your Motor Out Quick. It Will Come Down Fine Like Normal. After Removing Engine From Lift Fill Fluid With Hydraulic Jack Fluid To Manufacturs Specs. Good Luck.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:51 PM

Okay motor out. Had to jack the car up and remove the wheel. Then dropped it on the jack. Gave me more than enough room. I only had to do 1 side. Now just reassembling the L 24 motor. Or swapping parts. I am sure I will have more questions later. Took some pictures tonight. Will load em later. So you guys can see what I am dealing with. Later

O.T. Anyone want a 4 speed tranny?????
Old 12-21-2005, 11:00 PM

Try the S30 cars forum next door. Someone with a 240Z or one of those cars might want one over there.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:08 PM

Okay everything is swapped over, except the fly wheels. After I unbolt the torque converter, do I need to swap flywheels too? Can the torque converter bolt to a 240 flywheel, or is there a difference between manual and auto flywheels??
Old 12-27-2005, 08:39 PM

You should need to swap the flywheels too. On an auto trans its refered to as a flex plate. I've yet to come across a car that I serviced that had those two parts interchangeable. But I've never pulled an auto trans on a S30 or S130 before, so I've never actually seen the flex plate on these cars. But my guess is that they are NOT compatible.

Its good to hear you're coming so close to getting this done though
Old 12-27-2005, 08:49 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah it looks like it will be close with his Z and mine LOL! But I am really damn close to driving him.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:12 PM

I think you will be first. Mine has a long way to go.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:49 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Ha Ha that's cool man, just poking fun. We both have a strong ambition to get our Z's roadworthy. May the best man win, and or ZX owner win. LOL
Old 12-27-2005, 11:46 PM

Good luck. Your car better be up and running soon. She is starting to look to good to be a lawn ornament
Old 12-28-2005, 12:33 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks man, but just to let you know, my Z is a he. Not a she, but I appreciate the compliment none theless. And it was kind of cool to see him out of my driveway on the street. I took a step back, and I was like man that Z is friggin' sweet. Weird if you ask me, but still a trip nonetheless.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:06 PM

How do you take the flywheel, or flex plate off. It looks bolted on, but I can't seem to get to those bolts. Anyone know????
Old 12-29-2005, 11:19 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Do you have a manual for it? The best I have found is the FSM of course, and the Haynes workshop manual. But I am sure somebody on here, will help you out. Good luck to you man.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:43 PM

On the underside of the converter housing there is a removeable cover that gives you access to the torque converter and flex plate. There are 4 bolts that hold those two parts together. You'll need to turn the engine over to get to the individual bolts though. Just rotate it until the bolts come into reach. That's it.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:51 PM

Still having bolt problems, will try more tomorrow
Old 01-05-2006, 10:49 PM

Flex plate and converter finally off. I had to have my wife stand on the breaker bar, while I stood on the one, that was on the crank pully nut. Those bastards were on there tight as a ****.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:39 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Anything new on your Z project? Perhaps some pics, don't leave us in the dark brother. LOL Anyway go ahead and check out my cardomain page for some more inspiration. If you are running low on it. He he I have some more recent pics of my engine almost done. Later man
Old 01-15-2006, 07:21 PM
Big Poppa

Nice Engine Pics Wildman. Thats The One That Is From The Damaged Car Right.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:09 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by SHADY280
Nice Engine Pics Wildman. Thats The One That Is From The Damaged Car Right.
Correct man, yeah that engine is from my '81, which I will restore later on. And thanks for the compliments, much appreciated.wink.gif

Anyway don't want to ***** up Vegaz thread, if you have any more questions or comments feel free to post them on my threads.smile.gif

Last edited by WildmaN; 01-15-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:48 PM

Me, I've been busy with the 3000 GT lately. Have big issues now. The 240 motor is ready to drop back in. I just got the 3000 back up and running. And ran into the mighty smog monster. I can't pass a smog test, am still fighting it out, I all ready failed 4 tests. Everytime I fix the problem, I get another, and my registration expired today. So since I still drive the GT alot, I don't really have time to play with the 280. So she sits looking like a abused car. Dirty, cold, no motor, interior still tore up, wheels flat and she looks just terrible. I feel bad but right now my time and attention are devoted else where. But as soon as I get the state taken care of, I'll be back in the garage battling it out.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:40 PM

Wait a minute. With all the stuff that IS legal in Las Vegas, they're still worried about smog out there Thats just off
Old 01-15-2006, 09:57 PM

Tell me about it. But now I have another headache. I just ran to the 7-11 for some Mountain Dew and cigs, My clutch is about to go or my slave is about to go. The clutch is grabbing hard, about a inch off the floor. It just feels wrong and like there is no pedal any more. Screw it. I just parked it and came in the house. It's dark and cold, will look more into it tommorow. So many problems, just replaced a cooked turbo, and now the smog problem and to cap it off a clutch problem. Cars just suck.

Quick Reply: motor swap