280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a 280ZX!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 12:17 PM

Just got a 280ZX!!

Hello all
I just came up on a 1980 280ZX for $400. It's straight, only one ding in the back, only topical rust, and starts and runs great. And it comes with a second motor!!

So after minutes of concideration, I decided to buy it and build it up. I found this place during my research and have read most of the threads now.. But naturally, I've got a bunch of questions I was hoping you guys could help clear up.. So uh.. Sorry in advance for the length...

Here are my goals:
Street Legal, pump gas, get as close to 200HP as possible, stay smoggable in California, stay N/A

The motor in the car has the N47 head, while the other motor has the N42. I'm figuring I'll use the N42 as I've heard good things about that, while I've heard nothing about the other. I'm assuming they both got the same blocks as I couldn't find the number... And I'm not worried about dished pistons or flat, cause I'll be replacing them.

So after looking through the zcarparts catalogue and reading this site, I figured I'd have to take the entire motor apart.. I was looking at the new big bore kit, and upping displacement to 3.1, but I think it said compression would be too high for pump gas. I was wondering if a 2mm metal head gasket would fix that. I was also looking at the stage 2 cam kit, hoping that would be the best balace of drivability and performance.

And of cource the port and polish of the head, but I'm not quite sure what I should tell the machinist to do. I've read about machining the exahust ports, combustion chambers, and intake, and also shaving (don't know what that is), but I'm not quite sure how much to do of any of it.

As for fuel, I need to keep it FI... So I was going to go with a larger throttle body and injectors.. I read that a different O2 sensor might be needed.. And I heard that the zcarparts TB was crap, and the 60mm off the 240sx was recommended?

So how close to my goals you guys think I can get with that?? Am I missing anything? I'm probably going to start this next summer, after I've saved all the money I'm going to need..

thanks in advance
Old 11-04-2004, 10:41 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Get a 60MM 240SX Throttle Body (Junkyard)

Get the JSK 240SX Adapter Plate
http://www.jskinnovations.com/tbspacer.htm

I would use the JSK Fuel Rail as well.
http://www.jskinnovations.com/billetrail.htm

Get the Big Bore Kit from NISMO through Courtesy Nissan
http://www.courtesyparts.com

Find a REPUTABLE head builder and tell them you want a 3 angle performance valve job and port matched intake and exhaust ports. You'll have to give them your intake and exhaust manifolds and gaskets so he can match them up. This can be VERY expensive...

AVOID the local hatchet machinist. It's even more expensive if you have to pay for it twice! If they don't know what they're doing, you'll have a VERY expensive aluminum paperweight. Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

Get a good camshaft made from new blanks, not a re-grind. .480/270 is what I have in my NA. Decent but a little rough idle. Good power at 2500 rpm and GREAT power from about 3500 to 6500 rpm. Don't forget to get new valve springs, new rocker arms and lash pads.

Get a decent CARB approved header. (This may not exist) If not, I would re-work the entire exhaust from the collector pipe to the tip. Replace the factory catalytic converter with an after-market Hi-po version and a straight through muffler. Don't use a muffler with funky exhaust flows. In my experience, straight through is the best.

WW