280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's Dead!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:25 PM

It's Dead!!!!

So I just put in my 12" woofer in yesterday and I drove around today for a half an hour then stopped. Let it set for a good 4 hours. I got in started it up and went about six blocks. It sputtered and died. When I try to Start it up it turns over and about one cylinder will fire for a little bit then it will just die. So we towed it home with our truck try to start it but nothing happend just the same thing as mentioned before. We checked coil distruputor gas line to see if it was pumping gas and thats about it. Any Ideas or a spare turbo engine lying around?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:49 PM

Check fuel pressure, make sure you have spark on all plugs
Old 08-01-2006, 07:21 AM

I've got spark to all cylinders but to a few its pretty weak but its sill there. And it is pumping gas past the fuel filter. My dad says it might be a problem with the fuel injectors so today after work im gonna take them off and check um.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:38 AM
The Evil Twin

Unplug and re-connect all the major sensors. Air flow meter, throttle position sensor, head temp sensor, and the ECU. Charge up your battery just so you know it has a good charge. Remove the spark plugs and clean them gently to be sure there isn't too much fuel on them right now. Crank it a little after that to see if it will start. If not, then spray some starting fluid in there and crank it. If it fires for a second with the starting fluid but dies after that... then you've got some fuel delivery problems. If the engine won't fire up with the starting fluid then the spark is gone or too weak somehow.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:26 AM

Thanks a million bleach unplugged the sensors and ecu turned it over, plugged everthing back in and it purred like a kitten!!
Old 08-03-2006, 04:29 PM

Ahhh..... It was running for 10-15 minutes pretty good then there was a knock and what not it sounded like when my valves were loose before only worse. So after I took the valve cover off to check it there was nothing wrong so I put it back and to see if I could hear it again but it did the same thing as before Argh!!!!!!!!!!!! I took the afm apart and did the rebuild and stuck it back on before it broke down. I am now a little disappointed cause it was running and idling better than it ever has.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:50 PM

just went out to check and see if it will start and now the starter won't kick in!!! im gonna charge the battery and try later
Old 08-03-2006, 06:06 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Definitely check battery and alternator. When the battery gets low, weird stuff happens...

These cars are very sensitive to voltage irregularities.

Also, check your battery cables to make sure they aren't in the least bit corroded on either end.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:26 PM

Thumbs down

We sparked the injectors and it fired up again but...the sound it made...this may be the begining of the end for this Z engine....

Last edited by Fleaicous; 08-03-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:52 PM
NisTuner

Did it make a high pitched squealing sound? I had my car fire up once and it was making a high pitched squealing and it had something to do with the fact that the spark plug wire wasn't connected all the way, so it wasn't getting full spark. Check your spark plugs, and wires, and make sure everything is connected well. I'd also say do a compression test to let you know before you jump to conclusions.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:12 PM

No, its a very mechanical sound, very bad not consistant like metal is flapping around some where in the engine.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:13 PM

Could be the timing chain slapping.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:26 PM

It sounds like more to the rear like above piston #4 maybe a bearing or valve my uncle is coming over tonight to listen to it. I hope its not singing its last song...
Old 08-03-2006, 10:04 PM

If it's a problem in the valve train then it's not as big a deal. It still requires attention, but wont be nearly as big a fix as it would be if it were something inside the block. Lets just hope is ABOVE #4 and not #4 itself
Old 08-03-2006, 10:08 PM
The Evil Twin

low oil pressure??? the valves get noisy when they aren't lubed. Lube is very important!!!

Old 08-03-2006, 10:11 PM

Well there some good news and some other news :/ Piston #4 is A O.K... some other good news is the sound stopped hooray!!! The other news is #6 closed the gap on my spark plug... meaning broken piston or crank bearing out most likely tommorow I want to pull the pan if i can and take a look then if nothing there pull the head.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:17 PM

are you sure you have the right plugs? If the piston hit the plug AND your car is able to run then it sounds like your plugs are just too long. If it hit due to a bad bearing then I dont think the noise would just go away. That rod would most likely have thrown itself through the block by now if it was a bad bearing causing the contact.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:24 PM

Well we've ran the spark plugs for about 8 months now so I really don't think its that. And its not like it mashed the plug it just closed it looks like some just pushed it together. This car has been a daily driver for a while and i might of had it running for a little over 6 mins since this sound started. I guess I will just have to wait and see. BTW can you pull the oil pan without doing anything to the car?
Old 08-03-2006, 11:59 PM

^ yeah. I pulled mine to change the gasket. I already had the sway bar out...but I doubt that would interfere. Other than that I didnt take anything else out of the car that I can recall.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:36 PM

Alright every bolt pulled of the oil pan but I have to go to work now so i will finish it after I get off at 10.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:12 PM
"Destroyer of Worlds"

BTW can you pull the oil pan without doing anything to the car?[/QUOTE]

I just pulled mine out because i spun three bearings, dont really have to take anything out, just unbolt the motor mounts, and raise the back of the engine at the bell housing, its easier to slide the pan out that way. Oh, and disconnect the pick up tube before you try to take it out.

bob
Old 08-04-2006, 08:36 PM

Location: Houston Tx. Cleveland Tx. New Caney Tx. and every other Tx.
an afm can make a car do exactly what yours did as it did to mine. the slaping noise that went away my car did that to after exsesive cranking, then my starter to stoped engaging then I reallized the noise was the starter, so I hit it 4 times with a jack handle, then it started to work again with out the noise, then I adjusted the afm and pushed the pedal down just a tad, then cranked the engine and it fired right up. you need some vacume on the vane to set the syper arm in the afm in the right spot it sounds like. I know that it may sound like a load of crap, but it works for me on the afm every time, and it dose exactly what your talking about you will here a fire only on one cylender.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:13 PM

alright we pulled the pan and it looked good. We also so checked the rod bearing on piston #6 and it actually looked close to new so were going to button her back up see what it sounds like. After that we might pull the head. Another thought is maybe something feel into the piston??? broke off carbon or something who knows?
Old 08-05-2006, 04:29 PM

Alright we started it up and it didn'tmake the sound so where goin to put it back together to see if it still makes the sound...cross yer fingers.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:14 PM

Location: Houston Tx. Cleveland Tx. New Caney Tx. and every other Tx.
Im telling you, your started will start making a clicking, and slaping sound it has done it on mine. I hit it with a jack handle and it stoped doing that and actually started working right.

Quick Reply: It's Dead!!!!