280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 07:09 AM

Help!

Ok, I took my Z out for a spin, it has been running PERFECT as of late. Well I'm driving it around I pull into my driveway, stall out, but figure who cares I'm parked anyways. Then try to start the car, and it won't start. Everything is getting power and the motor aint even tryin to crank, what the heck is going on?
Old 06-29-2005, 07:52 AM

As in the starter isn't turning the engine over? Could be your ignition switch. The fact that the engine stalled while driving means it's not likely the starter or starter circuit. Something could've just come loose in your ignition switch wiring. Pull the lower dash panel and check around in there. Sometimes connections just come loose, or you could just need a new ignition switch. Of course, if the starter is turning the engine and it just wont start, thats a whole nother story. Let me know if thats what you mean. Otherwise hope this helps.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:53 PM

Wierd things sometimes happen sometimes to cars that dont make logical sense. It pays to check all relevent connections for connectivity. My car died three times on different occasions and there would be no power to anything else. It turns out the negative terminal was still connected but a tad loose. The circuit would break unpredictably causing the car to die. To me the battery was still connected so I never made the relation until I manualy took the terminals off and then placed them back on. So I changed the neg terminal and problem solved.

My advice, check all wires and spark from the coil to the dizzy to the plugs, check the starter for power and then for operation, check all fusable links and fuses. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2005, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
As in the starter isn't turning the engine over? Could be your ignition switch. The fact that the engine stalled while driving means it's not likely the starter or starter circuit. Something could've just come loose in your ignition switch wiring. Pull the lower dash panel and check around in there. Sometimes connections just come loose, or you could just need a new ignition switch. Of course, if the starter is turning the engine and it just wont start, thats a whole nother story. Let me know if thats what you mean. Otherwise hope this helps.
I agree, j. That switch has a three or four prong plastic connector that may have come loose. Even though it may not explain why the car stalled initialy ( I am assuming the car stalled on its own ) it makes sense to just check it anyway.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:43 PM

Example relating to what z said: The plastic connector that has the headlight wiring running through it under the dash. It's connected good and tight. But the wire for the power to headlight switch had come loose inside the connector to where it would break contact even though the connector was still firmly connected. If I pushed the wire up into the connector the lights would come back on. After so much vibration, the wire would work its way loose again. Stuff happens for stupid reasons, and take z's advice again, check even the stuff that looks right. If this fixing cars stuff was obvious, then everyone would be a mechanic (that'd be great wouldn't it).

I've found corrosion hidden in wire insulation. Wires that had broken for no apparent reason, but the insulation showed no signs of wear. If you're going to diagnose electrical, get yourself a meter, it will make your life 150x easier. Especially on these cars which seem to be plagued with electrical issues.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:31 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

So right man, I spent hours trying to figure out why everytime I turned on my running lights. The fuse would blow! I finally decided I would do the backyard thing. And stuck a gum wrapper with the fuse. And low and behold. The car started talking to me, and smoke eminated from under the dash! Woila the horn was plugged into the lights! WTF!! Anyway after spending $180 for a new headlight assembly. It was a simple idiotic problem! Oh well you live and learn how stupid people can be!