280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blinker relay

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 04:29 PM

Question blinker relay

ok my blinkers are not working. i have decided after checking several things its the relay. i know where its at to replace it. heres the question. where the hell do i get one?

i havent bothered to check at oreileys yet but no one online carries a replacement

thanks
Old 06-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Taste My Rainbow

do they all not work or just one side?
Old 06-21-2006, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by skittle
do they all not work or just one side?
blinkers dont work period and the hazzards only work in the back and are dim.

i checked all the fuses and they are all good. and all the wiring appears to still be intact as it would have been from the factory
Old 06-21-2006, 04:58 PM

I've got a half dozen Nissan flashers for the 280zx. Dont ask me where they all came from I've got both the square and round type. PM me if you want one. The best place to get them is in the junkyard though.

If you go to an autoparts chain you can find generic flashers. They might not be a direct fit but they will work with a little ingenuity. Take your old one with you and see if you can find something that will plug in the same. Right now I'm running 2 mini flasher relays from walmart. I payed $3.00 for both of them and just rewired the flashers and hazards.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:20 PM

Location: Houston Tx. Cleveland Tx. New Caney Tx. and every other Tx.
so did you check the integrity of all your grounds with a meter, or your eyes? believ me, it is kinde of hard to se an ohm, let alone a few ohms with just your bare eyes . dim lights made me think about the ground. I don't know if my questions help you any, but it dosn't hurt to check, cause atleast you will know.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by EatmyDust
so did you check the integrity of all your grounds with a meter, or your eyes? believ me, it is kinde of hard to se an ohm, let alone a few ohms with just your bare eyes . dim lights made me think about the ground. I don't know if my questions help you any, but it dosn't hurt to check, cause atleast you will know.
actually no i didnt even think of it. i checked to see if the power wire was getting good voltage. but i didnt think to check the grounds other than them being hooked up. but regaurdless shouldnt the relay click on when i hit the lever? you know like the ignition relay will do when you turn the key to the on position.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:36 PM

well I supose your right all a relay is, is a electroninc switch. it uses small amount of curent to controll more curent. but still if your grounds are not hooked up then it still will not work, cause the blinker relay is really a thermal braker switch. if you are not geting a ground, then the cercuit is not complet, no power being used=no heat=no necesary relay switching.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:09 AM

well I supose your right all a relay is, is a electroninc switch. it uses small amount of curent to controll more curent. but still if your grounds are not hooked up then it still will not work, cause the blinker relay is really a thermal braker switch. if you are not geting a ground, then the cercuit is not complet, no power being used=no heat=no necesary relay switching.
well the grounds are definatly hooked up. weather they are still any good or not after almost 30 years is another thing. ill probably just hit up the junk yard this weekend and grab a bunch and see what happens.

its sad because all i have to do is pass the saftey inspection due to the cars age. but i cant even do that because i dont have blinkers lol
Old 06-24-2006, 03:30 PM

buy grounds frome a junk yard oh how cute. why not hook your meeter up, and ohm the grounds out see how much resistance you are geting. any higher than .2 ohms is not exceptable. I still can't get over the whol buy grounds from a junk yard . if the wires are bad, just finde some wire around the house that is the same size and rip it off of what ever its on, and do the conecting thing and make sure you keep it clean, then protect it from the weather.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:41 PM

buy grounds frome a junk yard oh how cute. why not hook your meeter up, and ohm the grounds out see how much resistance you are geting. any higher than .2 ohms is not exceptable. I still can't get over the whol buy grounds from a junk yard . if the wires are bad, just finde some wire around the house that is the same size and rip it off of what ever its on, and do the conecting thing and make sure you keep it clean, then protect it from the weather.
oops, i wasnt very specific , i meant ill get a bunch of relays. i have spools upson spools of wire in the garage. i don't screw with old electrical stuff i just replace it with new wire if its bad.

Last edited by Whitesmoke; 06-24-2006 at 03:44 PM.