280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Afm

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 06:34 PM

J's "How to Rebuild your Air Flow Meter (AFM)"

I redid the write up as a web page. Now it's got pics and any corrections. Plus there wasn't a size limit so I was able to put in all the information I needed to.

Heres the link: http://www.geocities.com/jfairladyz/...?1144191577198

And if that doesn't work for some reason then here's a link to the same page (courtesy of lww ): http://www.kamikazeracing.org/dl/JsAFMRebuild/

Enjoy.

Last edited by jfairladyz; 04-04-2006 at 07:47 PM. Reason: PICS!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 07:23 PM

I'll be posting pics of all this with a writeup on my website as I just found my camera (finally). Hopefully this will save some people some money.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:18 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Hey man I printed out this thread, you are quite intelligent, and very much to detail. Thanks for the info, I am going to try it on my Zx's!
Old 08-20-2005, 02:47 PM

Well I tried to post the writeup with pics on my site last night but it didn't work. After 8 hrs it was still uploading and everytime it tried to upload a pic it just said error. I think may have something to do with this AOL dial up CRAP. I need to get back on high speed, I never had a problem then. Anyway, good luck WildmaN and if you have any questions just give me a hollar and I'll try to help you out. Same for anyone else who needs it. And I'll try again to get the pics up on my site too.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:33 PM

Excellent post! Very easy to understand. I'll be printing this out also. Maybe me and Wildman can do this at the same time and help each other out.

Thanks for the work of typing that all in.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:41 PM

yeah thanks man i printed one out and will be doing it in the morning good looking out man
Old 09-02-2005, 06:10 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well me and Carl did it this afternoon, it seems his car runs better. I will ask him later if it improved his pickup or performance. Unfortunately I can't tell in mine, because I can't run mine without a battery, and fuel pressure regulator. I will let you know, hopefully soon.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:24 PM

I had to make an edit on my original post. Its all in bold as I felt I better add a disclaimer as non members can get ahold of that info too. And since there's a limit on how many characters you can have I had to delete the last part about the next mod I'll be posting soon.

I hope this post has helped a good deal of people. Or will help them in the future. Remember not everyones AFM needs to be rebuilt. Mine had quite a bit of wear which is why I saw such good results. But look at it like this: If you rebuild it now then it's going to be good for a while to come and you won't have to worry about a faulty AFM. Plus it's FREE. I mean come on. How many mods can you do for free. The only thing you could possibly need to buy is some silicone sealant. And if you don't have that you can seal it up with some elmers glue and secure it with a tie so it dont fall apart (I don't condone this type of quick fixit though ). Good luck to everyone who wants to give it a go and for those who are afraid to try it I'll do it for FREE. All's I ask is that you pay for the shipping. But everything else I will do for free. And in that case the disclaimer wont hold true and I will hold myself responsible for any damage and will replace anything that I do damage. I have confidence in my ability to perform this task and so am willing to supply this service to whomever needs it. But I do recommend saving the money on shipping and doing it yourself as its really easy. But like I said, if you're worried about screwing something up... Let me know.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:37 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Hey jfairlady, Carl was wondering about the adjustment screw. If you knew where to adjust it, to work better. He says the car is running rich, after he adjusted the gear wheel with the teeth. And the car bogs about 3500rpm, unless he punches the throttle. But when the car is cold, it runs at like 250, and then when it warms up, it hits around 750 or 800rpm.

So he asked me to ask you, if there would be a way to adjust that adjustment screw to more factory specs. He would appreciate it, because he is going to screw with the AFM in the morning. Thanks for your help, and anyway to fix this problem.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:42 PM

That's odd. As for the enrichment screw, clockwise to richen and counterclockwise to lean it out. It shouldn't bog out like that though. I didn't have to make any adjustments to my mixture after I finished. I went ahead and richened it anyway though. No part of the mod should've put him rich though. Tell him to check the sweeper arm to make sure it's staying on the carbon track through its entire arch. If it's coming off the track the signal to the ecu will be broken up and that could be causing his bogging. There isn't much adjustment for the board but he should be able to hold it in place and tighten the screws so the board is lined up to where the sweeper maintains contact. If either one of you has a DVM you can take a reading from the O2 sensor while making adjustments. It should fluctuate from high to low. About 400mV to 700+mV is about right. If you don't have to worry about emissions then 800+mV is preferable on the top end. The higher the voltage the richer the mixture. If you have anymore questions just let me know. And let me know if that fixed your problem.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:44 PM

jfairladyz, I posted under the "help" post with what I came up with. Running much better now....

Thanks, Bud...
Old 09-05-2005, 06:51 PM

Yeah I just read it. Good to hear. I'm gonna give a heads up to anyone else who might run into that problem though.

UPDATE:
When adjusting the spring tension I suggest adjusting it as posted in orginal post. If you have an issues with drivability and you're sure the carbon track is properly adjusted then pull back the spring tension toward you're original mark one tooth at a time until the drivability issue goes away. Carl had a problem with his and didn't need nearly as much adjustment as mine did and so he had to back his off quite a bit. I would've squeezed this into my original post but theres that damn character limit.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:37 PM

does the screw adjust the mixture only at idle or all the way through the rpm band
Old 09-08-2005, 07:51 AM
The Evil Twin

I believe the fuel delivery is linear... it should richen the mixture all the way through the rpm band.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:28 PM

It'll enrichen the whole mixture through the rpm's as it's unmetered air. But above idle it's pretty negligable as it's not letting(or letting) much air through at WOT compared to what's actually coming through the AFM. Basically crank the screw in either direction and you'll see the difference at idle and just off idle. But if you floor it you won't even be able to tell you messed with the screw.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:18 PM

Glad I thought of that.. lol NO, THANKS

i FOUND THAT Afm FIXIT POST TO BE THE MOST BRILLIANTLY WRITTEN, EASIEST TO UNDERSTAND AND STRAIGHT-UP AND TO THE POINT THING I'VE EVER READ. Will you be my buddy? lol ~Denise w/ a 280ZX 2+2 n/t car that is floodin fuel ALL OF A SUDDEN and fouling plugs within 2 minutes of running..... SO IT WILL NOT STAY RUNNING.
Its just got to be this free fix CAUSE I'M TAPPED after trying everything else.
THANKS FOR SPEAKING ENGLISH THAT A ROOKIE CAN UNDERSTAND!
Originally Posted by jfairladyz
I had to make an edit on my original post. Its a ll in bold as I felt I better add a disclaimer as non members can get ahold of that info too. And since there's a limit on how many characters you can have I had to delete the last part about the next mod I'll be posting soon.

I hope this post has helped a good deal of people. Or will help them in the future. Remember not everyones AFM needs to be rebuilt. Mine had quite a bit of wear which is why I saw such good results. But look at it like this: If you rebuild it now then it's going to be good for a while to come and you won't have to worry about a faulty AFM. Plus it's FREE. I mean come on. How many mods can you do for free. The only thing you could possibly need to buy is some silicone sealant. And if you don't have that you can seal it up with some elmers glue and secure it with a tie so it dont fall apart (I don't condone this type of quick fixit though ). Good luck to everyone who wants to give it a go and for those who are afraid to try it I'll do it for FREE. All's I ask is that you pay for the shipping. But everything else I will do for free. And in that case the disclaimer wont hold true and I will hold myself responsible for any damage and will replace anything that I do damage. I have confidence in my ability to perform this task and so am willing to supply this service to whomever needs it. But I do recommend saving the money on shipping and doing it yourself as its really easy. But like I said, if you're worried about screwing something up... Let me know.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:32 PM

Smile Glad I thought of that.. lol NO, THANKS

i FOUND THAT Afm FIXIT POST TO BE THE MOST BRILLIANTLY WRITTEN, EASIEST TO UNDERSTAND AND STRAIGHT-UP AND TO THE POINT THING I'VE EVER READ. Will you be my buddy? lol ~Denise w/ a 280ZX 2+2 n/t car that is floodin fuel ALL OF A SUDDEN and fouling plugs within 2 minutes of running..... SO IT WILL NOT STAY RUNNING.
Its just got to be this free fix CAUSE I'M TAPPED after trying everything else.
THANKS FOR SPEAKING ENGLISH THAT A ROOKIE CAN UNDERSTAND!
Originally Posted by jfairladyz
I had to make an edit on my original post. Its a ll in bold as I felt I better add a disclaimer as non members can get ahold of that info too. And since there's a limit on how many characters you can have I had to delete the last part about the next mod I'll be posting soon.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:10 PM

So I'm running a little rich and not passing smog. My CO is a little high at 25MPH. I'm .12 high in CO. So to lean it out a bit we turn the adjustment screw to the left. Any help is appreciated. BTW... Oxygen sensor is new, tested and working well. Full tune up. My injectors are about 12 years old. I don't know why the image is loading upside down.
Attached Thumbnails Afm-img_1505.jpg  

Last edited by davidjoe007; 01-14-2018 at 09:20 PM.