280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 not turbo/turbo swap??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 05:32 AM
The Evil Twin

The 2+2 is the perfect donor! Same engine, engine compartment, and transmission length. In fact, you can use your non-turbo transmission if you like. they bolt right up. The body of the 2+2 won't be used so it doesnt' matter on the length.

And that is the best way to do the swap. There are different sensors and gauges so swapping in the entire wiring harness, computer, and gauge setup is the best way. Go for that, and rebuild the turbo engine when its out of the car. Also, you could rebuild the engine, drop it in the turbo 2+2 and run it for a bit to see that's it tuned right. Then do your swap. That way you start out knowing everything is working right.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:46 AM
The Evil Twin

don't worry about increasing the compression. Just pump in more boost for more power.
The intake port on the head would be great. Stick with the P90 head if you have it or the P79. The open chamber of the N42/N47 is very bad for a turbo. The square exhaust ports have very little advantage compared to a closed chamber design of the P79.

Just have the factory L28 crank balanced if you want to revv higher. There are no aftermarket cranks. The stroker crank is not really good for a turbo engine and causes all sorts of unnessisary problems.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jason92Classic
Hey ya'll! I'm interested in this thread as well as I want to put an ET into mine -- I've been researching quite a bit for my 280 and I'm curious about the rebuild process:

Are there some things that we should take advantage of during the rebuild? Should we try using different pistons or a thinner gasket to increase compression? I know that's taboo for turbos but there's room in the L28ET to increase it a bit (I'm thinking to at least 8.5:1 maybe even 9.5).

I also saw something about using a better crank but I forget whose. I remember reading it was to take advantage of better balance at higher revolutions and making the motor sound for 7000+.

In the head should we swap if it's a certain kind? I think I read that the N42 was preferable?? I cannot remember. I also realize that since the head will be off that it's a good opportunity to do a mild port/polish (saw a good book on blueprinting that explains this in detail and the degree to which many folks may want to do it).

What else?

TIA,
Jason
to add to that i've heard that the f54 turbo blocks are ideal for porting. i think they're in the 81zxt. probably want to go with a t-5 tranny two. supposed to be the best z tranny made.