280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Z has CV half shafts

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 11:34 PM
The Evil Twin

Which Z has CV half shafts

I looked at the back of my car and it looks like CV boots on the inner and outter joints. No visable U-joints.

Does anyone know what models of 280ZXs had the CV shafts stock?

Mine is a 1982 280ZX 2+2 non-turbo 5-speed.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:03 AM
Externally Wastegated

I think the turbos were the only ones with CV shafts, but I could be wrong.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:28 PM

hmmm if boots are covering the joints how can they be visible....:P
Old 01-17-2005, 04:14 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by BleachZee
I looked at the back of my car and it looks like CV boots on the inner and outter joints. No visable U-joints.

Does anyone know what models of 280ZXs had the CV shafts stock?

Mine is a 1982 280ZX 2+2 non-turbo 5-speed.
1981 through 1983 Turbo's only had the CV's. None of the NA's had CV's.

If it does have CV's then CONGRATULATIONS! a previous owner already did the swap.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:13 PM

Is there a benefit to swapping in CVs? Or does this go hand-in-hand with an R200 LSD swap?
Old 01-17-2005, 11:32 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by Skully
hmmm if boots are covering the joints how can they be visible....:P
Covered joints means CV joints. U-joints are not covered with a boot, right? That's kind of what I'm asking/saying.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:32 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

Originally Posted by Dorifto
Is there a benefit to swapping in CVs? Or does this go hand-in-hand with an R200 LSD swap?
CVs are a lot stronger.. they're ball joints not u joints which makes then capable of withstanding a lot more stress than the typical u joints.. theyre covered because the ball joins in them are pretty big and they must stay well greesed.. the reason why bleaches 2+2 had them is cuz the car is is heavier than the 2 seater and theres more stress put on the half shafts...
Old 01-18-2005, 01:32 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by icice9
the reason why bleaches 2+2 had them is cuz the car is is heavier than the 2 seater and theres more stress put on the half shafts...
Ice, are you saying the 2+2's came with CV's? I've never owned a 2+2, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. If it is, I'll be headed to Dorris in the morning to rip the CV's out of the '82 2+2 they have for my R230 swap!
Old 01-18-2005, 09:07 AM
The Evil Twin

Ya, that extra 190 pounds sure does need a stronger drivetrain!
I'll look in the junkyard next time I'm there just to see if some of the 2+2's have CV joints.

You think maybe only 1981 2+2 and newer had them? ...once the turbo came out?
I think all 2+2's should have a turbo motor... because they are heavier you know. They need more power!
Old 01-18-2005, 02:10 PM

mine have boots on them....well torn off boots but theyr there!!! gotta get new ones...
Old 01-18-2005, 08:58 PM
I have a present for you...

I've pulled cv shafts from '81-'83 ZXTs and I think I saw them on the 2+2.
They have a boot on each end. They bolt on a 6 bolt flange at the stub axle and simply snap in at the R200. The U joint style has one boot in the middle. See pic
If you want to change over you will need adaptors because the splines are different. I'm going to cut the flanges off in a lathe and weld the cv flange to the old hub. The cv axle is longer and could cause a bind on a lowered first gen car.
Attached Thumbnails Which Z has CV half shafts-axle-comparison.jpg  
Old 01-19-2005, 08:02 AM
The Evil Twin

Ya, I knew the U-joints usually didn't have a boot over the joint itself. I've got CV axels.
Could someone just put the rear struts from a 2+2 into a 2-seater to help with a CV swap?

I got CVs! :woot:
Old 01-19-2005, 07:54 PM

That swing arm suspension is hard to get out in a junk yard. One way is to remove the cv axle, flange hub and stub axle from the doner car. Raise the car, wheels off, raise the swing arm. You must unbolt the axle (6 bolts) without lowering the swing arm as this puts a bind on the axle and can tear the boot. Compress the axle toward the diff and pull the axle down out of the flange untill it is clear. Now use a short crowbar to pry the other end out, don't worry it pops right out with brute force. The flange end has a cap over the end to keep in the grease, leave it alone. With a 1 1/8" socket, breaker bar and cheater bar you can loosen the axle nut. I used two cheater bars, 1 1/2" square tube 4 feet long. One to hold the axle from turning (put lug nuts on to protect the threads). The other on the breaker bar. Once loose you can use a ratchet. I tried using an impact gun but it wouldn't do it! Wedge the bar between two lug nuts and let the ground keep it from rotating. The hub will come off with light tapping. An axle puller works best to pull the stub axles out. Gently remove inner bearing, hammering can damage it.
When you reassemble be sure to clean everthing, check the bearings, re-grease and install new seals.
You can call me if you don't understand this post.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:53 PM

Wait, so do the CV joints of the 280ZX 2+2 bolt right into the 280ZX 2-seater, or does it require modding?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:33 PM

I am only 90% sure of that swap. Logic tells me that Nissan wouldn't have different suspension in the same year. I do have axles from all years, '70 to '85. They all use the same bearings. There are three different splines however so you need to have matched sets. Even the '85 5 lug axles are the same except for the seal diameters. I am going to swap to the five lug in my '77. The hubs might be a little long but I can shorten them. I have also found that the front struts from the '85 can be put on the front with some modifications. The results will be - vented rotors and bigger brakes, discs for the rear, coil over springs, a huge selection of wheel sizes without spacers/adaptors, and I can do it for less than all that mickey mouse bolt on ****.

I just found out today that the front spindles on the '85 sit forward of the center of the strut while the first gen are on center so that won't work. I'm going to check hybridz for more info since the bearings are the same. It is possible re drill the hubs on a mill to the five hole pattern.
Here is a pic of the hubs and axles side by side.
Attached Thumbnails Which Z has CV half shafts-hub-comparison.jpg   Which Z has CV half shafts-stub-axle-comparison.jpg  

Last edited by theramz; 01-20-2005 at 08:32 PM. Reason: add picture and text
Old 01-20-2005, 01:57 PM

Is the 5-lug transplant workable for ZXs? I have heard of several people on hybridz.org performing this mod to their '70-'78 Zs. It interests me, as I would like to have something besides Panasports on my car without a huge cost or adapters.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:26 PM

5 lug axles

Here is what I meant about re-drilling the 4 lug axles and hubs for 5 lug wheels. This must be done by a competent machine shop. I have the X/Y dimensions if any one needs them.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:45 AM

I have an '82 NA 280ZX. Which models of 280ZX had the R180 and which had the R200? How can I tell what I have by looking? I do know my car has U-joints, so does that mean it automatically has an R180? I get the impression from the talk here, that only CV joint cars had an R200.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:03 AM

To check this go to www.zhome.com You can also check the gear ratio by checking the color of your speedometer gear in the trans, they have a list of ratios to colors. Black is 3.9/1
Old 01-26-2005, 07:59 AM
The Evil Twin

Pretty much all 280ZX's have the R200. The R180 is rare in the ZX.
The gear ratios vary though. R200 is just a measure of the gear size. (strength)
The '82 NA should come with a 3.9 geared R200 if you have a 5-speed. Automatic cars had the 3.54 R200
Old 01-26-2005, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the info. In the MSA catalog, i see these Spicer U-joints supposedly for racing. Has anyone heard anything about these, like if they'd make a decent alternative to CV joints for higher horsepower applications? (around 300-400hp)
Old 01-28-2005, 05:36 PM

I Want Your Old Sub Axles

Originally Posted by theramz
I am only 90% sure of that swap. Logic tells me that Nissan wouldn't have different suspension in the same year. I do have axles from all years, '70 to '85. They all use the same bearings. There are three different splines however so you need to have matched sets. Even the '85 5 lug axles are the same except for the seal diameters. I am going to swap to the five lug in my '77. The hubs might be a little long but I can shorten them. I have also found that the front struts from the '85 can be put on the front with some modifications. The results will be - vented rotors and bigger brakes, discs for the rear, coil over springs, a huge selection of wheel sizes without spacers/adaptors, and I can do it for less than all that mickey mouse bolt on ****.

I just found out today that the front spindles on the '85 sit forward of the center of the strut while the first gen are on center so that won't work. I'm going to check hybridz for more info since the bearings are the same. It is possible re drill the hubs on a mill to the five hole pattern.
Here is a pic of the hubs and axles side by side.
NEY IF YOU WANT TO SELL THE 4 LUG ONE I NEED IT BAD MY LEFT SUB ALXE HAS ALOT OF PLAY ON THE OUTTER BEARING I WAS CHANGEING THE BEARING TODAY A I FOUND OUT THAT ITS NOT THE BEARING ITS THE SUB AXLE IT SELF HAS WORE DOWN
Old 01-28-2005, 08:26 PM

That brings up a good question; if there's anyplace that makes new/aftermarket CV axles for the 280ZX, or if the only choice is to get worn out ones from a junkyard. I mean, where would a Nissan dealer get theirs if we took it in to get fixed?
Old 01-28-2005, 09:42 PM
The Evil Twin

I saw the picture of your rear suspension. Its a u-joint setup like a 2-seater non turbo 280ZX. I think I'll go pick up one of those tomorrow. If you can wait a couple days you can stop by and pull the axel.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:31 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by theramz
To check this go to www.zhome.com You can also check the gear ratio by checking the color of your speedometer gear in the trans, they have a list of ratios to colors. Black is 3.9/1
MOST of the manual trans 280ZX's had R200's but ALL of the automatic 280ZX's had R180's except for the 79 & 80 GL models and the Turbo that had R200's either 3.7:1, 3.9:1 or 3.545:1 respectively.

Although the 1979 4-speed was an anomaly and came with a 3.364:1 R200.

If you're looking for an R200, make sure you pull the diff from a 5 speed. You can tell it's an R200 if the housing is offset and has different length half-shafts where the R180 is centered with equal length half-shafts. While you're there, try to find a turbo so you can get a set of CV's to go with it!

I'm picking up a set of 'spares' tomorrow morning after I pick up my new trailer! WooHoo!

Thunder Hill here I come baby!

Last edited by lww; 01-29-2005 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Which Z has CV half shafts