280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Gear boots

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 02:40 PM

Steering Gear boots

Hi all,
I'm having a big problem with my steering gear boots leaking all the time from the ends. I've tried clamping and ty-wraps etc. The hoses are always coming out of the fittings....any suggestions besides plugging the hoses. This is the worst design I've come across. Any help would be appreciated.

apache21
Old 12-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Doesn't post much...

If the bellows boots are leaking, then so is the Rack and Pinion itself... not good. Time to look into a rebuilt rack.

Rod.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:08 PM

Try Lucas Power Steering stop leak, Ive heard good things about it. I rebuilt the power rack myself, the seal kit is about $70 online. You definatley have to be handy to get the rack apart and rebuilt without destroying anything though. No burrs, no gouges, no dirt, it has to be perfect.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Doesn't post much...

Lucas works miracles... Almost. I have Lucas in my system right now because the high pressure hose leaks at the fitting and I haven't yet been motivated enough to replace it. It stopped that leak dead in it's tracks. If you have a seriously leaking rack though, it won't do much good for long until the added pressure from the super thick fluid makes a small leak A BIG ONE. It's a temporary fix at best.

Rod.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:01 PM

Try different clamps. If you go to different parts stores you're bound to find some good clamps that will keep the boots from slipping out of the clamps. I had a problem like that will CV boots. I upgraded the clamps and they stopped slipping out.

Last edited by jfairladyz; 12-19-2005 at 11:04 PM. Reason: different part
Old 12-20-2005, 09:42 AM
Doesn't post much...

Sorry J, but you're kind of missing the point here. Those boots are not supposed to have fluid in them. They are only there to keep dust and dirt out. If there is fluid leaking from the boots, that means that the outer seals on the rack have leaked and allowed the boots to fill with fluid... Not good. Replacing the boot clamps won't fix the problem.

Rod.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:53 AM

Oh I know. I was just trying to help with the slipping boot problem. You guys already handled the leak problem.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:11 AM
Doesn't post much...

I knew you knew what I thought you knew you knew, I just didn't know you know what you know. Now I know what you knew and what you know so I know you know what you knew now.

Rod.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:31 PM

I knew I could count on you to know that I knew what I know when I said that I knew you know what I didnt have to say I knew cause I know you already knew Or, something like that
Old 12-20-2005, 02:32 PM

If you type that word enough it starts to look wrong. Kind of like saying the word cracker too many times. After a while you'll start to second guess if you're saying it right
Old 12-20-2005, 08:57 PM

How many times have you guys seen Dodgeball? Ive only seen it like 3 times.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:07 AM

I guess my next question should be if the boots aren't supposed to have fluid in them, what are the tubes going into the boot for? Ignore my ignorance, I'm new to the 280 thing.
Apache21
Old 12-21-2005, 11:09 AM

There shouldn't be tubes going into the boots themselves. There are lines that appear to go into the boots, but they shouldn't actually go all the way into the boot. They should go into the R&P assembly just at the boot..

Last edited by jfairladyz; 12-21-2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:38 PM

Hi ya J,
Well, I must have something "special" on mine..ha! I have a hose going into the boot on each side. go figure, every car I get has to be the special one. Got any ideas? I think that's where the fluid is coming from. I thought about just capping the lines but wasn't sure that I didn't need them to be hooked into the boots. They both connect up to a fitting on the boot itself.
Apache21
Old 12-21-2005, 09:04 PM

Where do the lines go once they're into the boots? I was looking at a diagram and they do indeed appear to go into the boots. Thats my mistake. Have you seen inside the boots yet?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:26 PM

They are sitting in the boots in a fitting. The fitting looks like a T with the hose on the leg (bottom) of the T. The top of the T slips into the boot and holds it there. I've had to rotate the boots some to get the hoses clear of other things, the guy that owned it before me had the lines weaved around and they would pull out of the T fitting when you wnet over a speed bump because they were too tight. Anyways, thats good now, but I still have the leaking issue. I placed ty wraps around the clamp sections again and that seemed to help with one side but the other side still has a problem.
apache21
Old 12-21-2005, 11:09 PM
Doesn't post much...

OK, Nevermind. I thought I was clear on the fact that simply stopping the BOOT from leaking wouldn't solve the problem. Oh Well... Most people don't listen to me anyway, so why should you? Good luck cleaning up the giant puddle when the boots burst.

Rod.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:17 PM

You were clear enough, I was just wondering how the hoses to the boots came into play.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:26 PM

Yeah thats whats confusing me. Why are there hoses going into the boots?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Doesn't post much...

Sorry Apache, I get a little perturbed after a long day of dealing with employees who don't listen to me and wind up making their job harder. Didn't mean to sound so cross. As for the lines going into the boots, you got me there. Are you sure they are actually going into the boots or are they going into the rack near the boots? Have you had a chance to get under the car and check it out really good?

Rod.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:11 PM

No problem, I've been under the car several times and tired to figure it all out. They do go into the boots The rubber hose attaches to a T fitting in the boot itself. I'm hoping that's where the fluid is coming form. I hav\d the rack and pinion replaced about two months ago, so I guess I need to get it back the the place and ask them what's up.
I do thank you for your input. Have a great Christmas.
Apache21
Old 12-23-2005, 06:58 PM

Guys Guys Guys, 21 posts about SIMPLE stuff? PLEASE!!!

Rod seems to be the only one here with a clue on this one.

The boots are supposed to be sealed. That in mind, think of what happens when you turn the wheel. The inner tie rod ends move back and forth inside of the tube itself. The plastic tubing that goes into the boots is merely a vent tube, to allow air to move from one side to the other when you turn the wheel. There is NOT supposed to be any fluid inside the boots, as Rod stated earlier, if there is, then the seals at the inner tie rod ends are shot. If the vent tube weren't there, or if the boots were independently sealed, when you turn the wheel (effectively moving the inner rods in and out of the housing) you would blow the boots apart. They are supposed to be sealed to the housing on the inside and the inner tie rod ends on the outside, this is why the zip ties are used. The vent tube is REQUIRED. They are also supposed to be installed with the vent tube on top, 15 degrees off vertical, that way if there is any power steering fluid that has leaked past the seals, it will remain in the boots themselves and not get transferred from boot to boot and froth up when you turn.

So now, the mystery is solved. Would you guys please throw away that damn Haynes manual or even worse, the Chiltons's book and buy a factory service manual, or at least read it if you have one. They're readily available on CD from Courtesy Nissan, in Richardson, TX. CLICK HERE

Sorry for stepping on anybody's toes here, but this is elementary stuff.

Warren

Last edited by Warren; 12-23-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:52 PM

That would explain it
Old 01-12-2006, 08:30 PM

What happens if the boots are torn (have been for years) and no leaks?
Old 01-12-2006, 09:58 PM

That means you have manual steering! You would have to have a stadium full of psychics trying to will the dirt away from your rack if its power.

Quick Reply: Steering Gear boots