280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KYB/Eibach vs. Tokico

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 07:49 AM
Z8 driver

Talking KYB/Eibach vs. Tokico

Ok, looking for new suspension... On Ebay, I could either buy the KYB shocks and Eibach springs, or the Tokico shocks and springs bundle...

After shipping/insurance, and everything added up, I have the KYB/EIBACH @ $383.00 and TOKICO @ $369.00

thats a difference of $14.

Which one????
Old 06-23-2005, 08:22 AM

I have the Tokico setups and I LOVE them. But I have no expirience with KYB or Eibach so I dont know.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:14 AM

my friend had tokico in his Z31. it felt like you were riding in a go cart. really really stiff. he picked me up when i was drunk once and i puked all over the inside of his car cuz of the "go cart like" feeling hahaha. i want tokicos
Old 06-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Z8 driver

thanks for the input... still looking for someone who has the eibach/KYB setup... anyone?
Old 06-23-2005, 03:29 PM

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but uh, don't get the eibach/KYB's No really though, if you just want something descent thats still as comfortable as stock, then go for the eibach/KYB setup. If you want good handling, and a decsent ride Tokico all the way. Eibach and KYB are just way too mass produced and designed to appeal to everyone, and do nothing for low speed handling. The tokico setup is higher quality and higher performance. But like livewakesnow said, be prepared to sacrifice a little in the way of comfort. I don't think they're unbearable at all(that was a Z31, my experience was with a 280), and all my fillings are still in place. Eibach racing springs are absolutely awesome, but their street stuff leaves a little to be desired.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:29 PM

you know jabo..i was gonna get that package but dude wont answer me about shipping charges...i sent him 3-4 emails with no reply...
Old 06-23-2005, 09:17 PM

[QUOTE=jfairladyz]But like livewakesnow said, be prepared to sacrifice a little in the way of comfort. QUOTE]

i would still definately go tokico. they were amazing. i just oculdn't handle the amazingness while under the inflluence haha
Old 06-23-2005, 10:14 PM

Yeah they do handle great but when you get on the rough roads they can be pretty annoying. I live off a road with a bunch of pot holes and uneven pavement and I got used to it fast. Just be prepared to rattle your car a bit on the rough stuff. It is all worth it when you hit those twisty back roads doing 80+ mph....
Old 06-24-2005, 05:42 AM
Z8 driver

Originally Posted by Skully
you know jabo..i was gonna get that package but dude wont answer me about shipping charges...i sent him 3-4 emails with no reply...
which one skully? the Tokico?? hmm.. this one says free shipping to continental US... ohh i forgot you were in CAN;
Old 06-24-2005, 09:04 AM
The Evil Twin

Did anyone see what brands are listed as progressive and non-progressive? I'd like the non-progressive springs for a more harsh ride. Suspension Tecniques also makes springs for the 280ZX at less than $200 a set. I've heard they were recomended. Anyone else using something other than Tokico?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Doesn't post much...

I run the KYB/Eibach set on my car. Both are really good. I would not go so far as to say that Tokiko is higher quality, or that KYB is mass produced (or what ever that line was). Truth is, if you own a japanese car, there's a 90% probability that the OEM shocks/Struts were made by Tokiko or KYB. Both are the largest OEM manufacturers. Both have Aftermarket products that are far superior to their OEM stuff. Both are Outstanding in quality. Yes, the Tokiko's are a little stiffer (mainly because KYB only makes the GR2 cartridge for one half of the car rather than the beefier Gas-a-Just). Stiffer doesn't always translate directly to "better" or even "better handling". If the rear of your car is too stiff... you will ABSOLUTLY find out the true nature of "oversteer". There is a fine line there. You can't really go wrong either way, but the ride quality difference is pretty noticeable. My car handles like a bad dog with the KYB's. Replacing the factory bushings with uerathane will do way more for handling and response than either of those two packages alone, and will make them do their job a whole lot better. Bottom line... comes down to personal choice, but don't do either without replacing those bushings.

Rod.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Z8 driver

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
I run the KYB/Eibach set on my car. Both are really good. I would not go so far as to say that Tokiko is higher quality, or that KYB is mass produced (or what ever that line was). Truth is, if you own a japanese car, there's a 90% probability that the OEM shocks/Struts were made by Tokiko or KYB. Both are the largest OEM manufacturers. Both have Aftermarket products that are far superior to their OEM stuff. Both are Outstanding in quality. Yes, the Tokiko's are a little stiffer (mainly because KYB only makes the GR2 cartridge for one half of the car rather than the beefier Gas-a-Just). Stiffer doesn't always translate directly to "better" or even "better handling". If the rear of your car is too stiff... you will ABSOLUTLY find out the true nature of "oversteer". There is a fine line there. You can't really go wrong either way, but the ride quality difference is pretty noticeable. My car handles like a bad dog with the KYB's. Replacing the factory bushings with uerathane will do way more for handling and response than either of those two packages alone, and will make them do their job a whole lot better. Bottom line... comes down to personal choice, but don't do either without replacing those bushings.

Rod.

Rod, how about a link to some uerathane bushings???
Old 06-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Externally Wastegated

Bleach, I'm using the ST springs with Tokico non adjustable shocks. The ride is fine for me, I don't mind sacrificing some comfort for extra handling. The ST springs are stiffer than the Eibachs from what I've experienced. (friend is using Eibachs with Tokicos shocks). If you get the urethane bump stop for the front shocks, hitting uneven pavement isn't too bad unless it's a big bump or good sized rut. The drop in ride height from the springs was about an inch all the way the around.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:15 PM

Uerathane bushings: http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merch...ry_Code=PSDC06
Old 06-24-2005, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by lessthanjabo
which one skully? the Tokico?? hmm.. this one says free shipping to continental US... ohh i forgot you were in CAN;
yeah it sucks...everybody ignores the better half of America :P
Old 06-24-2005, 05:42 PM

Upgrading the springs and struts will also help with that infamous rear end squat and brake dive which plague the Z pretty bad. Suspension geometry plays a huge role in this, but stiffening things up will help a bit. I personally don't care for Eibach's progressive rate springs. They do provide a more comfortable ride, but aren't as predictable as a non progressive spring. Good Coilovers are far supperior to any of the setups listed, but you pay the price$$. But you gain the ability to corner weight the car which will do more for your cars handling than any other suspension mod mentioned. Progressive rate springs also don't provide the low speed handling ability of a linear rate spring. Add adjustabillity of camber and toe and you got one mean handling machine.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:58 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WD1V

Those are what I bought about 6 months ago and they are on my shelf because I need to get new struts and springs and paint before I install them so I'm not sure how good they are...
Old 06-24-2005, 11:15 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Definitely get the bushings too. If you want a smooth ride, get the original Nissan rubber bushings. The Urethane will make the ride quite a bit more harsh but they should be replaced regardless.

I have Tokico HP's with Eibach Pro-Kit progressive springs with one coil cut out, Energy Suspension urethane bushings and Suspension Techniques swaybars on my 240z.

On my 280ZXT I have Tokico Illumina's, Suspension Techniques springs and sway bars with Energy Suspension urethane bushings, adjustable camber, TC rods and swaybar end links.

I've run the Tokico springs as well, but like the Eibach Pro-Kit's with my coil modification better.

The Turbo is purely a show/track car so I've got it setup very stiff and very adjustable.

On the 240z, cutting off one of the high-rate coils makes it ride a little flatter and makes the ride a little softer over the harsh roads/highways here in the Bay Area. It's still a little too stiff for a street car so I'll probably swap back to rubber bushings in the next month or so if I have time.

Still have to drop the motor and tranny out of the turbo to get the engine bay painted. Have to re-design the the intercooler piping, rebuild the fat T04 turbo and powder coat freakin' everything!

Interior is back together with new pieces where available, re-upholstered otherwise, new paint and the new custom roll-bar, camera mount, seats, 4 point harness w/ custom brackets and fully functional stock seat belts.

The hood, bumpers, hatch, glass and the rest of the ground effects are going back on this week...

I actually drove the car Thursday about 2 blocks with no hood, bumpers, ground effects or hatch glass! WooHoo!!

Wait a minute... what was the title of this thread again...?

Last edited by lww; 06-24-2005 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:00 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Hey lww lets see some pics of your interior, and your Turbo ZX.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Doesn't post much...

On progerssive VS. Non-progressive springs... I had a set of linear rate springs on my car which were great for handling high g loads, but not so great for the street. Unless it's a track car, I'm not sure you want to go there. Also, I could tell within a gallon, how much gas was in my car by how high or low the rear end was sitting when parked on level pavement.

Rod.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:52 PM

In my opinion, skip the progressives and install the tokicos. I've shock dynoed the tokico illuminas vs. koni not kyb and the tokicos were awesome! All four were very consistent with each setting, they blew the konis away.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:37 PM
Big Poppa

I Have A Friend Who Does Coil Over Kits (modern-motorsports.com) The Are Reasonable Price And Work Great. I Run Chevy Van Springs In The Back That Are Progressive (no Squat And They Fit!) And Kyb Shocks. If You Read About Kyb The Are Not For Use On Lowered Vehicles, It Screws Up The Valving. My Brother Runs Eibach Springs In His With Tolkico? Shocks, But It Still Squats Really Bad. Just Some Insight!
Old 07-17-2005, 11:31 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Hey lww lets see some pics of your interior, and your Turbo ZX.
I'll be posting a complete biography of the rebuild once it's completed. I don't want to do the reveal before it's finished! It'll lessen the dramatic effect!

Cheers,
lww

Last edited by lww; 07-17-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:54 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay lww fair enough man, I should talk, my project is on the back burner now. But it is for the best, what can I say. I will try my hardest to get things done.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by DynamicJ
thanks for the input... still looking for someone who has the eibach/KYB setup... anyone?

Eibach/KYB: 3 month Summary
Aside from the extra noise from the new bushings the car handles really well car sits lower & corners like mad howecver I reccomend the MSA swaybar/Cusco strut tower brace setup to go with it

Quick Reply: KYB/Eibach vs. Tokico