280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car set up......

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 11:50 PM

car set up......

I needed some help to set up my car...It is a 1981 200sx with 280zx irs, and frount suspension...I have coil overs all around and camber adjustment frt and back..the car weights about 2200lbs. and is very close to 50/50 weight. Does anybody have some good street, auto-x set ups that save on tires and still be good at the track? I have the motorsports rear adjustment and don't know if I need to install it yet...I ate up my rear tires but then replaced the wore out control arm bushing that were making the rear tires to toe out....Thanks for you help..There is an autocross coming up this month at bcc palm bay and would like to try to make to test out the car....just a around about would help so I can scale and set the car to get it close.....
Old 04-02-2004, 12:51 PM
The Evil Twin

Control arm on the rear? ...or do you mean the trailing A-arm? That's probably what you mean.

Anyway, if the wear was feathering and you replaced the bushings you should be ok. Although I don't think there is any adjustment for toe on the rear of a 280ZX, you could get an alignment done just to check or do some precise measuring yourself to see how close it is. You want it toed in just ever so slightly. (although I don't know how much toe in u need) This keeps the rear from drifting at speed. As far as camber goes, you'll know if you have any by looking, plus the inside of the tread will wear prematurely. I'm sure you know about that already.

As far as saving on tires, I think what works good on the street does good on the track. You want a small amount of negative camber, but not too much. Just BARELY noticeable to the eye. Any more than that and you're losing traction by forcing most of the weight to the inside of the tread and taking some of the traction off the outside edge. On a circle track you want your outside tires cambered more, but for autocross you make more then just left hand turns!

Keep it stiff on the spring rate. I have heard another good track method is an oversize sway bar up front with eurathane bushings and no sway bar on the back. u might try it once to see how it does.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:55 PM
The Evil Twin

Thumbs up

So, your 200SX has a rotory in it? Is it turbo?
Old 04-02-2004, 08:59 PM

13b rotary

The car is square 2"x 3" box frame from the fire wall back. The motor is a bridgeport 13b twin weber setup makes 200rwhp.The car weights about 2200lbs ..The first time out w/2 runs best the car has gone is 14.6 at 98mph with a bad 60' time of 2.25. hard to take off bog or go into wheel hop. I now have the urathane bushings in and are going to try a little smaller rim and tire set, 16x8 with 225/40/16's do not give at the strip...I rather the car handle like a mad man than go down the 1/4.