280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes Leak--Need Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 03:22 AM

Angry Brakes Leak--Need Help ASAP

My 1983 280zx I just purchased is leaking from the right rear (passenger) brake caliper. I thought that it required a new caliper and so repalced both rear calipers as well as pads. Well it is leaking again! Specifically when I press down hard on the brake pedal, fluid gushes out from the caliper piston. I am thinking I have a bad proportioning valve? Or somehow my vacuum is screwy? Any help would be appreciated.

As a last resort I will take to a shop, cause I am stumped.

I bought the car for $300 and have already plunked about $400 into it, but do not want to spend much more......

Thanks...
Old 07-13-2004, 08:19 AM
The Evil Twin

The seals should be able to withstand a LOT of pressure. The proportioning valve should not cause any problems like that.
Did you replace them with new calipers (with new seals) or were they used? When I had a problem with mine I bought used calipers and just rebuilt them with new seals and they were fine.
What about your brake lines. Did you replace the rubber brake hoses?

The piston itself could have some major corrosion and be allowing fluid to leak by the seals. Did you reuse your old piston in the replacement caliper?
Old 07-14-2004, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by BleachZee
The seals should be able to withstand a LOT of pressure. The proportioning valve should not cause any problems like that.
Did you replace them with new calipers (with new seals) or were they used? When I had a problem with mine I bought used calipers and just rebuilt them with new seals and they were fine.
What about your brake lines. Did you replace the rubber brake hoses?

The piston itself could have some major corrosion and be allowing fluid to leak by the seals. Did you reuse your old piston in the replacement caliper?

Thanks for your post, the calipers were new or remanufactured. The hoses going to the calipers are also new. But there is a second set of rubber hoses that feed into those that I will be replacing today. Somebody told that when a hose "shreds" inside it not release back pressure causing my piston seal to rupture. i am also going to get another new caliper for the side that is leaking. Due to several individulas who provided guidance, I am pretty much ruling out the proportioning valve. Again thanks.....