280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who do you think would buy this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:51 AM

Ok not to sound two faced or anything, I do want to explain one more thing. Since the 280zx has no part over the window this kit can be made to open much better than the other kits out there (but with some large financial considerations included) First the shape of the door is to be considered when opening straight up, try rotating a square block out of a square hole. Ok so reshape the door's so they dont catch when swinging up. My second point is the windows. When opening up the windows will catch, they sell a kit that has a sensor switch connected to the handle that will rool the window down just enouph to clear when opening. As far as a true scissor door is concerned I will not be doing it, and I think it should be left to quailty show cars.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:54 PM
From NY to AZ

Originally Posted by ShadyJ
Ok not to sound two faced or anything, I do want to explain one more thing. Since the 280zx has no part over the window this kit can be made to open much better than the other kits out there (but with some large financial considerations included) First the shape of the door is to be considered when opening straight up, try rotating a square block out of a square hole. Ok so reshape the door's so they dont catch when swinging up. My second point is the windows. When opening up the windows will catch, they sell a kit that has a sensor switch connected to the handle that will rool the window down just enouph to clear when opening. As far as a true scissor door is concerned I will not be doing it, and I think it should be left to quailty show cars.
I've seen something like that on a mid 90's M3 that i was looking at with my dad (i think thats what it was... been a while) that had nothing above the glass. When you went to open the door the windows would go douwn maybe 1/4" almost instantly to clear the weatherstriping... i thought it was a pretty good idea at the time
Old 01-04-2006, 01:41 PM
The Evil Twin

some late model luxury cars actually have support for scissor door hindges. when you pull the handle, the door opens about 8 inches and then the hindge is spring loaded to open up. You have to help it just a little. That way the door and stock window frame all clear the car and seal up as they did from the factory. When it drops, it closes the last little bit as a car door normally does.

Of course, people that have those cars never actually install the kits themselves. They might have to get their hands dirty. They take it to a custom shop and have the shop order the parts and install everything. They just come back a week later and bring their checkbook.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:03 PM

Thats sort of how these kits work, like what Bleach described. Except they're usually not spring loaded. You just open the door a few inches (theres a stop on the hinge that can be adjusted) and then you lift the door up with the help of a strut. So thats how the doors overcome all the "cant do it" aspects.