280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tow hooks with msa body kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:58 AM

tow hooks with msa body kit?

Last couple days I've been fitting my msa II bodykit to my 280zx. I'm having lots of fitment issues but that seems to be par for the course with these kits.

My question, anyone got pics or ideas on incorperating funtional tow hooks on an s130 with this body kit?

I don't want to have to remove the air dam to flatbed or trailer the car when needed. I hate to think of a tow truck driver tearing up all my hard work for lack of a good place to grab the car...

Mark.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:18 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Are you talking about the 2 hooks, that are on each side of the front of the car? If so, my tow hooks are still on there. And I have the MSA Type II bodykit. Did you release the pressure in the bumper shocks? You need to do that, in order to mount the bodykit. If you have any other questions. Feel free to post them. Good luck man.

Also I want to note. It may be difficult to tow the car normally with the bodykit on. Because of the closeness to the ground. I am not looking forward, to when I have to have the Z towed. Because it will be a pain to do so, with the low air dams.

Last edited by WildmaN; 01-14-2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Wanted to another thought.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 AM

Hey WildmaN, thanks for the reply.

I'm not using the factory tow hooks. They were in the way of my fmic set-up.

Yeah I released the pressure on the bumper shocks and welded them in place.

I also made extra brackets to support the air dam in a few places.

Fitment of the air dam was really poor around the front of the fenders so I had to add fiberglass to fill the big gaps. Not bonded to the body, just to the air dam to make it fit tight to the contour of the fender. I still have to trim for hood clearance too.

I have some experience with fiberglass parts and realize they never bolt right up but this kit is difficult (time consuming) to fit properly.

My main concern with tow hooks is to be able to load the car onto a roll-back or trailer to send it off for paint. I've seen a towtruck driver tear up a body kit on a friends car because there was nothing to hook it with.

I'm thinking about using oem stlye eye bolts that screw into the bumper support and can be removed when not needed like a 350z.
Or these:tow hooks with msa body kit?-tw.jpg
Old 01-14-2011, 10:30 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by bluezx
Hey WildmaN, thanks for the reply.

I'm not using the factory tow hooks. They were in the way of my fmic set-up.

Yeah I released the pressure on the bumper shocks and welded them in place.

I also made extra brackets to support the air dam in a few places.

Fitment of the air dam was really poor around the front of the fenders so I had to add fiberglass to fill the big gaps. Not bonded to the body, just to the air dam to make it fit tight to the contour of the fender. I still have to trim for hood clearance too.

I have some experience with fiberglass parts and realize they never bolt right up but this kit is difficult (time consuming) to fit properly.

My main concern with tow hooks is to be able to load the car onto a roll-back or trailer to send it off for paint. I've seen a towtruck driver tear up a body kit on a friends car because there was nothing to hook it with.

I'm thinking about using oem stlye eye bolts that screw into the bumper support and can be removed when not needed like a 350z.
Or these:Attachment 8261
No problem, I know NismoPick had his Z towed home before. And he has the same bodykit as us. Maybe he can shed some light on how it got towed, without destroying his air dam.

I didn't have too much trouble with mounting it. I did use the hardware it came with. Because it seemed a little easier. The side skirts still aren't quite right though. I still may have to re-adjust, and move them in a different spot. Otherwise the front and rear air dams are on there pretty good.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:40 PM

Those screws they provide in the kit for mounting hardware are worthless. Rivets are your friends
Old 01-14-2011, 01:39 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by pete8717
Those screws they provide in the kit for mounting hardware are worthless. Rivets are your friends
They worked for me. Anyway, I didn't want rivets, the bodykit is not a permanent fixture yet. I still have body work to do in the future. I just wanted to mount it, to make space in my shed.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:15 PM

I bought my kit new from Msa about 5 years ago.
It came with no hardware or instructions...

I've spent countless hours searching this and other forums for the info on mounting it properly. Alot of people have this kit installed but not many have documented what all
they did to make it fit and look good.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:44 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by bluezx
I bought my kit new from Msa about 5 years ago.
It came with no hardware or instructions...

I've spent countless hours searching this and other forums for the info on mounting it properly. Alot of people have this kit installed but not many have documented what all
they did to make it fit and look good.
I bought it from somebody on here, that purchased years ago. He never used the hardware, because he used body glue for it. I thought it would be more a pain to mount it with body glue. So I decided to use the hardware. It also gave me some more practice.

It isn't real difficult on mounting it. And yeah, it is kind of hard to explain how to mount it and such. I mocked it up, then used what hardware I had with it, to make it work. It still isn't quite mounted right. Mostly on the sideskirts. Because my fenders, aren't perfectly straight. But it still looks pretty good on the car. And has gotten a lot of comments. So I guess it is not a total loss. lol