280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need an opinion

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 07:19 PM

Need an opinion

well i have been doodling in the garage about the body while waiting for my engine...
i got my airdam done the way i want (roughed out untill i bolt down everything and put final touches on it before i paint) now...the hood....
I would like to get more air forced in there to cool the compartmant because of the turbo....i need opinions where to put this...i know best place would be to put it on the drivers side above the turbo but it looks odd when the scoop is on one side...
it looks awsome ( i think) with it in the middle, now my Q is (but im sure its enough) will this be enough of an opening to cool everything under there if i shave the old vents (so the scoop will be the only thing there) thanks and feel free to add any comments....

Last edited by Skully; 04-28-2005 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:37 PM

i think your Z would look cool with 2 small ducts/scoops on each side of the larger central one. im sure with 3 youd get enough ram air
Old 04-28-2005, 07:46 PM

You'll be fine. There are cars making gobs of power and heat under their hoods with no scoops what so ever. If you are going to worry about anything, don't worry about that being enough air getting in to cool it, you should think about evacuating the hot air that's already in there. It's not neccessay, but it's far more effective than letting cool air in.

You might consider turning one of the existing openings into a NACA duct ( the one over the manifolds). It will suck cool air in when the car is moving at decent speed, and let the hot air out when it's at rest. You get the best of both worlds.

I think once you mold that scoop in it will look great in the center there. I too think it would look a little funny off to the side because of the hump the Z's have in the center of the hood.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:47 PM
I have a present for you...

Much better with the three especially if you do a good blend into the hood.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:49 PM

yeah if the middle hump wasnt there it wouldnt look bad on one side..
and i have tough about making the duct on the sides but i think that be a tad bit overkill with bulges in the hood....im jus concerned because my steering box is gonna be really close to the turbo...but i do plan to put a GOOD insulating heatshield inbetwen there...
Old 04-28-2005, 07:49 PM

That would look good too.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:51 PM

now how well does this stuff stick to metal....if i was gonna blend it into the hood...would it crack and peel off? that would suck after the paint comes on.....im afraid of the twist in the hood when you open it...and if the middle is going to have a hole in it under the scoop..taht would be a weak point too..
Old 04-28-2005, 08:05 PM

You could put strut supports on either side of your hood, that would eliminate the twist of the hood, they'd hold the hood up too.

Or you could check out the Carbon Fiber thread as a hood alternative.

They make turbo blankets you can put on the turbine of your turbo. It traps heat inside so your turbo stays hot (good for spool up) and your steering box (in your case) stays cool. These things work really good. Just make sure you have a turbo timer on that thing if you go with a blanket. Otherwise you can, correction, you will fry your turbo because when you shut that sucker off you'll be trapping even more heat in that turbo than normal. Oil cooler too, no doubt.

Oh by the way the bumper looks really good. You did that yourself. Respect.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:08 PM
I have a present for you...

You could use Corvette panel adhesive and cut smaller holes in the hood instead of one large one. The flex in the hood is a concern. Maybe have the scoop made out of steel by someone in that line of work using the glass one as a model. Then sell the glass one on eBay. It will cost you a little more but it's better than spoiling the whole project.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:12 PM

yes i was wanting to play around with strut supports...to have them lift evenly...

400 is good price...but the shipping on that sucker would be unreal to here, not weight..but size...and customs...ugh.....i went trough this with the kit when i bought it...they taxed me and whole nine yards, i still dont get how they can tax a product they did not make, sell or distribute?!!?! but oh well

i will look into the blankets, that would help out alot...and yes oil cooler a must...

yeah i did the bumper myself... i tought it would be harder then it was ehe....
Old 04-28-2005, 08:13 PM

steel would be a good way to go but im not sure if i have what it takes to blend it in well after welding...
Old 04-29-2005, 06:21 AM

Dude, why don't you switch your box steering over to rack and pinion while you have the engine out? The actual steering is better and it allows more room also.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:54 AM
The Evil Twin

Nice work Skully!

I was pondering the same thing last week. I was looking into the 200ZR (Z31 JDM) hood scoop that goes just offcenter in the 87-89 Z's in Japan. It is a little narrower and long like the scoop you got there. I don't have it though to test fit but I was thinking about the middle scoop as well. On the side would seem best to get the air in there as it is already set up with that heat shield/air deflector by the brake booster.

If it was centered, you'd maybe want to make a simple shield or duct under the hood to direct the air to the exahust side of the engine. Even if its back by the firewall it will shoot air down and help pull some of that hot air out of the engine compartment and under the car.

Nice work on the bumper and the whole car. INVU
Old 04-29-2005, 03:10 PM

yes..the master envies the grasshopper!! im getting somwhere then....
yeah what im gonna do with the scoop is like you said...have it throw air more on the drivers side engine than anywhere else...

well if i could find a rack and pinnion setup i wouldnt mind doing that...but i cant..so ill stick with what i got and make the most out of it...

the scoop was molded from the bump in the hood

Last edited by Skully; 04-29-2005 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:34 AM

there are two ZX's with rack and pinions at a wrecking yard here. One will be mine soon to be used with my turbo engine the other is fair game. they want $150 for the whole set up. that means the cross member, hub and strut assembley as well as the rack and pinion set up. I am not sure but I would assume it includes the steering spindle as well. of course that is a pull it yourself price. let me know if you want it and Ill give you their contact info
Old 04-30-2005, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by zNuclearBeast
there are two ZX's with rack and pinions at a wrecking yard here. One will be mine soon to be used with my turbo engine the other is fair game. they want $150 for the whole set up. that means the cross member, hub and strut assembley as well as the rack and pinion set up. I am not sure but I would assume it includes the steering spindle as well. of course that is a pull it yourself price. let me know if you want it and Ill give you their contact info
So If say a $200-300 check were to magically appear in your mailbox, what are the odds that you would pull the parts and ship them to the sender of that check?

Not that I'm asking or anything...
Old 04-30-2005, 03:25 PM

not bad at all....gimme the contacts and ill see PM it tho..i dont want nobody stealing my parts :P
Old 04-30-2005, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chewievette
So If say a $200-300 check were to magically appear in your mailbox, what are the odds that you would pull the parts and ship them to the sender of that check?

Not that I'm asking or anything...
If you are dealing with me...the odds are actualy pretty good. However as my message clearly says I dont have the parts for sale. The wrecking yard does. That is why I offered their info outright. I see someone in need I try to help. The deal with the wrecker is all up to you. Hopefully that clears that up for ya.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:56 PM

Oh well, I should probably find one on my side of the boarder anyways. Less hassle with the authorities and such...
Old 04-30-2005, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chewievette
Oh well, I should probably find one on my side of the boarder anyways. Less hassle with the authorities and such...
Chewievette, dont get me wrong. I'd go to great lengths to help out a fellow zdriver. Although I can't make a habit out of it cause my wife would kill me, I have no problem going there to do the dismantelling if you need the part badly. I do ask that you work out the price and shipping details with the business on your own though.

..........and another thing...you settle it with that Scully dude on your own. that is cause both of you seem to want the same parts.

I have to say this and I'm suree most of you would agree that this is virtualy the only forum that keeps all of us coming back to see whats up with Z guys (and gals). I believe the reason is that the brotherhood is stronger here. No one really is judgemental enough to cross the line and it seems all the regular Z freaks are always stirring up the interesting stuff.

lemme know if you want the wreckers info...sorry Scully we're all on the same boat dude plus your car is gonna be kickass with or without that rack and pinion anway...
Old 04-30-2005, 11:23 PM

I'm not ready to install anything yet so Skully, it's all yours! When I get to the appropriate point then I'll see what I can turn up. I can wait, so I yield to those in more pressing need.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:45 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Where is it located?
Old 05-01-2005, 12:07 PM

sorry Scully we're all on the same boat dude plus your car is gonna be kickass with or without that rack and pinion anway...
its ok as long as it doesnt go to waste...im actualy thinking ill pass on that so you guys go ahead and ****** it before its gone...thanks beast...i was just looking for a soplution with the turbo being close to the steering..i dont care about actual difference IN steering...i wish i had manual....
Old 05-01-2005, 09:49 PM
The Evil Twin

Did I hear someone in the US wanting a full steering rack from an 83 280ZX? PM me!
Old 05-02-2005, 03:48 PM

Bleach = Z-pimp...selling the body parts left n right!

Quick Reply: Need an opinion