280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im going to buy a 280...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 05:05 AM

Dude the car is 20 years old and has 171,000 on it so you can expect some repairs will be needed. Thats not to bad if car has been maintained well. So I would check with owner now and see if he has any records on repair or service. Also if your state has emission laws car must pass ask owner if it will pass, they can be real pain to get to pass sometimes. Check all fluids when you go check out car again. Look for nasty anti freeze and really black oil. Both signs car not maintained very well. Check under oil filler cap for water, it will gather under cap if water is getting into oil. Take someone with you who knows a little bout cars and drive it. Should run smooth no knocks or pings and at 2500 should run very smooth. Check body, floor pans, bottom of fenders for rust, rust is like cancer must be done right or keeps coming back. Good luck and hope its mint..........
Old 10-13-2003, 02:36 PM

Also check the frame rails that go from the firewall to the front bumper. For $2500 they should not have any hint of rust. Does it have an automatic or manual transmission? The automatic in the NA cars just doesn't do it justice. Check the climate control system and make sure it works. Again, for $2500 it should! Spray water from a hose on the t-tops to see of they leak. Most of them do to some extent. If they leak bad, there might be alot of rust under the carpet that you can't see from under the car.

I personally would only pay that much if it was in nearly mint condition, being a non-turbo. Scratches in the paint are no big deal, but body and frame damage can be very costly to repair as well as a poorly maintained engine. 171,000 miles really isn't bad if it has been well taken care of. These motors are nearly bulletproof.

I hope this helps, and good luck with it!
-Kel
Old 11-06-2003, 07:28 PM

Even if it does run like a champ and looks great, you will have a few problems with it. Let's face it the car is 20. If you run into any problems (and I mean ANY...) all of us around here will put our minds together to help you out. Trust me! Without these people here, my '83 would still be sitting in the driveway and the neighbors would wonder why I even have the car.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:25 PM

you might want to check the suspension, in addition to the rest of things mentioned, the front end of the car is heavy and wears heavily on the front struts. look and see if it has rack-and-pinion or pitman arm steering setup. the rack/pinion is very durable and should last very long but the other style has many more moving parts and any number of these can wear out much sooner then a rack. jack the car and look at all of these components. you may think that they look good but the only way to be sure is a "hands on" inspection.