280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing bodywork

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 07:57 PM

Doing bodywork

well while i wait for my engine and my head to come back from the shop, i decided to start doing the exterior...i started sanding down, i got right side almost done gonna do the left and rest of it, weld in the side markers so i dont have them no more...can anybody give me more ideas for some unique look i can fab up, i really wanted to open my hood up more because its gonna be turbo and i just want it to cool more, plus i wanna change the look if it a bit...i tried fabing up some crap out of cardboard just to get some ideas...but i wouldnt mind your input on this too...i wana add something to the hood, the fenders and the rear to make it different

also i gotta ask what do you sugest for painting all the trim??? sand it down? and prime and paint it with the same paint and primer as the car or...???

Last edited by Skully; 04-09-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:09 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

HI are you talking about the plastice trim pieces? If so I just roughed it up with wet-dry sandpaper. Spray painted them, and then clearcoated. THey look nice to me. Hope this helps you out! Later
Old 04-09-2005, 09:12 PM

Keep the trim black! I think painting the trim the same color of the car makes the whole car look wrong. If you keep the trim black the lines of the car look a lot better.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:21 PM

no i was gonna paint everything black...trim AND my car....so i was just wondering do i use same colour on the body and the trim pieces or do i need a special colour for trim???

and also again gimme ideas for body mods...

i duno but i think all black looks slick

Last edited by Skully; 04-09-2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:34 AM

Both those cars look freakin good man. I especially like the top one. I'd say go with something like that. If you want to mess around with the body you could buy some fender flares or a spoiler. I'm not a big fan of this myself but Ive seen a lot of cars with "Z3" fenders with the gills in them. Ive also seen a bunch of first gen Zs with the hoods louvered, you could try that. Just some suggestions.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:05 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by Skully
i duno but i think all black looks slick
All black definitely looks sick, but it's a PITA!! to keep clean. It shows every single bit of dirt and every little drop of water.

What color is your car now?

Got any pics?
Old 04-10-2005, 09:40 AM

I'm liking the all-black idea, sounds very nice. I'd be interested to hear how the trim painting and prep work is done, as I'm going for a super-nice paint job on my Zed. I'd want a medium-light metallic silver (medium flake), with red pearl and dark graphite metallic entangled pinstripes down the body lines. Still torn on trim color/shade though. I am debating on a "brushed aluminum" look for some of the interior trim (stereo surround, center console), do you guys think that would also look alright for the chrome window trim?

Also, could you or anyone please tell me what airdam/skirt package that is on the Zed in the top pic? I think it's rather nice looking, would suit my application well.

Last edited by Dorifto; 04-10-2005 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Adding more detail
Old 04-10-2005, 10:10 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by Dorifto
Also, could you or anyone please tell me what airdam/skirt package that is on the Zed in the top pic? I think it's rather nice looking, would suit my application well.
It looks like the MSA Classic Fiberglass w/driving lights:

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merch...gory_Code=7FAD

Last edited by lww; 04-10-2005 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:26 PM
The Evil Twin

...and he has the 82-83 bumpers which have been completely painted black.

I do like those cars. That's what I'm going for on my car but I'm going to try to get the very dark purple "Brickyard" 350Z color and then black the chrome trim with tinted windows. I saw some stick-on semi gloss black "tape" in an auto parts store. It was specifically made for car chrome trim. I'm going to try that. Plus, if it gets scratched or peels in a few years I can replace it easy without paint.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:50 PM

shes black now...and i wanna keep her black with tint all around....
so i started sanding it down and just want ideas what to add to the hood, fenders and im goind with different taillights i just dont know which ones yet, i might go trough a junkyard and find some from a car that would satisfy my taste...and also about the trim painting...

Old 04-10-2005, 06:41 PM

Holy crap dude!! I think your car looks awesome as it is now. I wish my car looked that nice.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:57 PM

hahaha..well its SPRAY CAN PAINT yes you heard right...i bought spray cans because i couldnt afford paintjob just to protect the bare metal...laugh if you want ...but it protected good....now i gotta compressor and paintguns and i got painting experience so ill give her a go....

still need ideas...
Old 04-10-2005, 07:07 PM
The Evil Twin

On the marker lights, you could shave the front side markers and (if you want side markers) install some markers from a newer car into the bumper trim of the airdam. That will place your side markers at the same level as the front running lights.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:13 PM

im shaving rear and front side markers...
Old 04-10-2005, 11:23 PM
The Evil Twin

Well there goes that idea!

I think I might do that on my car. I'm keeping my side markers.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:47 AM
I have a present for you...

I think you should keep some of the trim (roof bands) and add smoked headlight covers. It needs some 17" or 18" wheels. Check with your auto paint dealer about that spray paint, you may have to sand it all off. Nothing looks better than a straight boby with a good clear-coat over black.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:39 AM
The Evil Twin

Don't start with the 17" wheels. Skully is all about running those polished 14's.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:41 PM

yes hells yes if anybody even looks strange at my 14" i will seriously kick ***...those now have sentimental value and they are awsome as it is...

but anyways keep ideas coming on the body work...i went to the engine shop and they are FAR from done so at least i can get the body done...

and im already sanding it all off....

Last edited by Skully; 04-11-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

yes hells yes if anybody even looks strange at my 14" i will seriously kick ***...those now have sentimental value and they are awsome as it is...
i second that

i was wondering if that polished look was achieved at home, or if you bought them? i have a set of zx wheels hanging out and if i could get them to glow like that it would be great
Old 04-11-2005, 05:26 PM

my brother got them redone at a shop while i was on vacation for my birthday...they were re-machined and then polished...

Old 04-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

they were re-machined and then polished...
re-machined? well crap. i wonder what the polishing process involved to get them to look like that. . . .
Old 04-11-2005, 05:40 PM

just aluminum polish and a hard worker like yourself to go at it...heheh
Old 04-11-2005, 06:26 PM

You could always just get them chrome dipped... I hate chrome wheels personally but its an option.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:48 PM

yeah yeah...ideas for bodywork...cmon....:P
Old 04-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Doesn't post much...

Hey, I wanna know a little more about the "black tape" that covers the chrome trim. My objective is to completly black out the car... You can't paint that chrome crap without it looking like caca, or flaking off right way. I thought about powder coating them, but they want more to do that than I paid for my paint job. Anyone knows where to get that stuff let me know. The only non-black surfaces left on the black demon are the chrome trim pieces.

Rod.

P.S. The wheels seen in the picture of my car are the old ones that got stolen. The new wheels are a 10 spoke 17" with gun metal spokes and a machined outer lip. I thought about maybe having the chrome stuff painted/powder coated in the same gun metal color as the wheel spokes... what do ya think?

Last edited by RodMoyes; 04-11-2005 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Doing bodywork