280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet Kit question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:09 PM

Carpet Kit question

Anybody have any experience with the carpet kits from Auto Custom Carpets (ACC)?
I have the dash and all the heating/AC stuff out and figured it was only a matter of taking out the seats and some panels to replace the carpet.

I am planning on getting this from rockauto:
ACC Part # 268982CUTPILE {Cut Pile - Constructed from 100% first quality Dupont yarn. Color: OE Color - Silver (852)}
1982 DATSUN 280ZX CARPET PASSENGER AREA; 3 PIECES; MOLDED
$137.79

Thanks
Old 06-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

i have seen acc in jc whitney too, this is quite intresting and i hope you get your answer i might refer back to this when i get some money for my interior

Last edited by 280zx2by2; 06-19-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:14 PM

So the carpet has been ordered, it took awhile for RockAuto to ship, but they did state it would be delayed three business days. It should be here by july 2. I will try to get some photos of the car when i replace the carpet.

I bought the entire carpet kit for both the front and back trunk area. Cost was $212.99 plus $40 in shipping. Shipping was expensive. I may have been able to get it cheaper through JC Whitney, but JC Whitney doesn't state whether it is a 4pc or 3pc kit.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

still $200 isnt bad if it can be eazily installed
Old 06-30-2008, 09:17 PM

i just got the kit off ebay for $230 came with all the pieces and also carpet for strut towers. Even a can of glue
Old 08-24-2008, 08:30 PM

Almost two months later.... Drivers side and passenger side carpets have been replaced and only trimmed enough to get the seats back in. It molds in fairly well though not perfect....

This has feels like quicksand.... first I removed the dash to replace a broken speedo cable and to clean the ac/heater ducts.... once that was out I decided I might as well do the carpets since taking out the ducts was fun... got the old carpet out and noticed all the mold underneath... figured that while I have the carpet out I could take out the wiring harness and check all the wires since I have a few accessories not working right.......... I also removed all the plastic panels and am thinking about repainting them before putting them back in.......... ordered new speakers for the car..........

Any suggestions for other "while I'm at it" ideas?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:08 AM

Replace the rotted headliner, the cracked dome light cover, door molding (weather stripping), lubricate the window mechanisms, make sure the rear hatch release still works...... should I go on?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by duckyz
Replace the rotted headliner, the cracked dome light cover, door molding (weather stripping), lubricate the window mechanisms, make sure the rear hatch release still works...... should I go on?
Headliner is already pulled... probably going to Joan's tomorrow to buy new foam/liner

Dome light cover is going, broke into tinny pieces when i removed the headboard....

Window mechanisms... reminds me.. need to swap out the side mirror mirrors into my original mirror frame as the mirrors fell out of them...

Rear hatch release does still work!!!!!

Have already bought the vinyl and plastic paint to do the $150 dollar refresh....

Know where I can get replacement brushes for the power wind motors?

Good news is that the driver and passenger carpets are about 90% trimmed
Old 08-26-2008, 10:36 PM
eff good grammar

Originally Posted by BackHouseZ
i just got the kit off ebay for $230 came with all the pieces and also carpet for strut towers. Even a can of glue

where the heck do you get carpet that goes on the rear strut towers? and can we get some pics?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:34 PM

Have some pics of the new carpet installed! Will update more later

Working on the door panels next, going to wash them tonight and possibly paint them tomorrow. Also had to remove the rear light panels because they were leaking into the spare tire well... now its rusted out badly but thankfully not through the metal.

Seats look bad and so do the cracks on the dash...... no money right now and none forseen for the next year

Old 09-15-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm a Registered User!

Wow that carpet looks great. It even makes the black trim pieces look a deeper black. Sexy.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:54 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Lookin' good dude. Just get some $20 seat covers for now. Until you have the cash to recover the seats. But anyway...good job on the carpet install. I can't wait to get my all black interior finished in my '82 slicktop. I just need to take care of a few things. All aside..keep up the good work man. Piece by piece..is how I have been doing it. And when you do it that way. It shows what you have accomplished. As you go along.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:35 PM

Oh Yeah! I am soooo going to put these in my car!

Old 09-20-2008, 11:59 AM

More Pics

Painted the doors including the carpet.

Here is what they looked like before I painted:

Here is a comparison of the two doors with the carpet painted on one of them:

As you can see, the paint turned out a bit darker than the original color. For the carpet on the door I used SEM silver vinyl/carpet paint.

Here is two pics of the freshly painted door panel fitted in the car. In the second pic you can see the difference in color of the door carpet to the interior carpet.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:05 PM
The Evil Twin

nice work there. My interior is the same color but I think I may get black carpet for it.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:27 PM
eff good grammar

Originally Posted by Duck Ryder
Painted the doors including the carpet.

Here is what they looked like before I painted:
[IMG]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7474/morepics006jr7.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6484/morepics007qv5.jpg[IMG]

Here is a comparison of the two doors with the carpet painted on one of them:
[IMG]http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/8079/morepics011dm8.jpg[IMG]

As you can see, the paint turned out a bit darker than the original color. For the carpet on the door I used SEM silver vinyl/carpet paint.

Here is two pics of the freshly painted door panel fitted in the car. In the second pic you can see the difference in color of the door carpet to the interior carpet.
[IMG]http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/6613/morepics019jq1.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5287/morepics020ii6.jpg[IMG]

what kind of paint did you use, like what brand i mean
Old 09-21-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
what kind of paint did you use, like what brand i mean
Duplicolor for the vinyl and SEM (got at NAPA) for the carpet. Both of them intended for vinyl and carpet...

So I have myself some options for reupholstering the interior... I could go with the cheaper vinyl (~$24/yard) and paint over that so it matches all the other vinyl I have painted over... Or I could get some of the imitation leather ($39/yard)... but it wont match as closely to the door panels and seats as the cheaper vinyl.... I am redoing the headliner, back panel over the rear lights, panel at bottom of trunk lid, and the panel covering the power antenna motor.

Unless someone knows how to duplicate the pattern on the doors? (I.E. the pressed horizontal lines on the door)

Last edited by Duck Ryder; 09-21-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:16 AM
eff good grammar

you could always go fabric, i am gonna have to redo mine they sun bleached but i am gonna get something a little better color fasted so it doesent happen so soon and so i get an idea what i want to do on my next car.

my head liner is still good after i resprayed it with the correct adhesive
Old 09-22-2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bleach
nice work there. My interior is the same color but I think I may get black carpet for it.

I have mixed feelings about an all black interior. Black like that hides too much of the interiors shape and shadow... but then again that can be helpful

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
you could always go fabric, i am gonna have to redo mine they sun bleached but i am gonna get something a little better color fasted so it doesent happen so soon and so i get an idea what i want to do on my next car.

my head liner is still good after i resprayed it with the correct adhesive

I've actually decided to go with the imitation leather because I have a 40% off coupon for Joans Fabrics!