280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon fiber

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Carbon fiber

Does anyone know of any one who makes a carbon fiber hood for the 79-83 Z?? If not can anyone on this forum makeone?? Actually anything made in CF for my 82 Z other than shift **** would be cool... Anyone have any in put or links I can check out?? Thank you..
Old 02-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Externally Wastegated

If I remember correctly, Beta Motorsports made CF hoods for the 1st gen Z's. I spoke to my friend who bought one and he said they were willing to make some CF hoods for us ZX people if there was a big enough demand, and if someone with a perfect hood was willing to let them borrow it for ~1 month to produce a mold for the hoods. I'll get back to you on the link.

John 82ZXT
Old 02-02-2005, 05:53 AM

I know of a website that advertises their carbon fiber work that seems top quality.
-It is IMPORTANT that carbon fiber especially delicate interior pieces are done by superior craftsman otherwise there will be cosmetic & durability issues.

http://www.rau-autowood.com/home.htm

I have a handcrafted carbon fiber interior in my Ford Probe commissioned for me by a custom shop in New York and it cost a few thousand dollars!
-But exterior panels would definately cost much less if mass produced like lifegrddude says...& I think that most carbon fiber panels are probably a carbon fiber "mixture" of some sort.

Well here a a few pics of my Ford interior...

Last edited by 280gty; 02-17-2005 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Do you know if the motorsport hood for the older Z would fit?? Never mind just called motorsport, they told me it would not, BUT THEY ARE MAKING ONE :hpydance: :burnout: , it will be done 6months to a year.... :doh: :doh:

Last edited by s/cL3.0; 02-02-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:16 PM

Lightbulb soon

I'm new here on this site, but I'm not new to Z's, or Carbon Fiber.
And, as a matter of fact, I've just now finished the legal stages of my new business, Zspec Garage, and am starting on parts fabrication.
I will be making fiberglass, Carbon Fiber, and Carbon/Kevlar (in colors) parts for the 280ZX. Other Z's to follow. My first part is going to be the stock turbo style hood with other variations very soon thereafter.

Unlike other companies I've researched, I am not looking for minimum group orders or anything like that. Just anyone who wants quality FRP products for their ZX. I should have my first parts ready to go within a couple of months, at which time I will begin posting them on ebay to start with.
It sounds like there are atleast a couple of people here who are looking for CF hoods for their ZX's.

Just for feedback purposes, could anyone who would be interested, just go ahead and post a response. Not an order, just what you think or any questions you may have.
I will be posting on this site just before I begin selling so that anyone interested will be informed ahead of time.
Also, anyone who wants to leave me an email will be put on my notification list, and will get first dibs on any of my first products, as the initial run may be little limited until I get a demand for the product. Your email will not be used for any reason other then for that purpose.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:24 PM

Oh, feel free to email me too. I'll answer any emails I receive.
Web page will be up soon.
Jason Williams
Zspec Garage
jfairladyz@yahoo.com
Old 04-25-2005, 10:09 PM

I'd be interested too, if the price is right. If a CF rear hatch is feasible too, I may also be interested in that too. (the fewer rustable parts on my car, the better!)
Old 04-26-2005, 06:41 AM

Also interested, depends on price.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:47 AM

I'll have prices in the very near future on the CF hoods. The Carbon Kevlar will be the same prices as the CF.

As far as the hatch goes, it is definitely something I will be doing, but not til after the hoods. Would you want to retain the stock glass, or would you be looking for something to hold a lighterweight material?

Fenders, bumpers, full front fascia's; these are all products that will be offered. I'm even in the midst of designing a full widebody kit.

If there are any requests as to what kind of parts you would like to see made of CF or Carbon/Kevlar, post it. Feed back is the best way for me to get the parts you would actually want to see into production.

All parts are molded off an 81 280ZX, so basically any parts on this car that are feasible, can be made. Just let me know.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Doesn't post much...

If the quality is there, and the fitment is good... I'll buy anything you can make... just let me know.

Rod.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

hood and hatch
Old 04-26-2005, 01:53 PM

I won't sell a part I don't think is perfect in fit and finish. Once I get my site up and running I'll post detailed pics of all the products I develop. And all the parts will be available in all the materials I listed above. Keep them replys coming, I'm taking note of everyone who's interested.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Doesn't post much...

IF YOU BUILD IT... THEY WILL COME
Old 04-26-2005, 04:30 PM
The Evil Twin

I too am interested. I'm dumping lots of money in my car this year so I won't be up for buying a new hood probably untill summer 2006.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Z8 driver

mark me down... I am looking for a CF hood.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
As far as the hatch goes, it is definitely something I will be doing, but not til after the hoods. Would you want to retain the stock glass, or would you be looking for something to hold a lighterweight material?
I'd want to retain the original glass, so as to keep the defroster function.

I've been trying to find some subtle fender flares for the 280zx, so that's another possibility.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:24 PM

Heat Rave R,
I plan to have the stock style fenders available very shortly after the hood. I will also be producing a flared version in addition to the stock style. How much of a flare are looking for?

I am desining a widebody kit for my personal 280zx to use as a demo vehicle. I didn't plan to produce this kit, but I am considering one duplicate to put on ebay if it gets positive feedback once it's done.

I can also make small cosmetic items too. Such as A-Pillar gauge pods, trim for the gauge cluster, radio face plates or block off plates.
The bigger parts are going to be designed and produced in succession, but smaller parts can be pretty much produced as the demand arises. I will mainly be using requests to expand my inventory, as there is no point in producing parts that are not wanted.

If anyone would like to see their ideas made into real items, let me know. I've experienced the frustration of trying to find parts for my ZX which is what led me to form this company. So if there's something you really want, I'd be willing to consider putting it into production.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:21 PM

I'm not sure if you're interested in producing parts for the 2+2 ZXs ... but if you are I'd like a hatch made. I'm willing to offer my Zed as a template - depending where you are - for the 2+2 hatch, but it won't be for a year or so. I'd want to use a Lexan rear window for that particular application.

I'd be interested in the hood, and fenders as well. Is there perhaps a possibility of fabricating flared or widened fenders for the 2+2 - no more than a 10-15mm flare?

Here's another idea I'm sure a few have considered ... doors. I'm not sure of a difference between 2+0 and 2+2 doors, but I'd love to have a CF set. Never can be too light, and it would greatly counteract the full interior I plan to have.

Again, I'm very interested in these products and, paycheck permitting, will purchase some for my Z project. I'd like to help get your name out there ... I'm trying to open up a shop as well, and would be obliged to put your parts, shop name, web address, etc. on my car to get you and I both business. Keep it rolling, let us know about updates!
-Dave-O

Last edited by Dorifto; 04-26-2005 at 10:26 PM. Reason: adding stuff ...
Old 04-26-2005, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Heat Rave R,
I plan to have the stock style fenders available very shortly after the hood. I will also be producing a flared version in addition to the stock style. How much of a flare are looking for?
I'm looking for something subtle. There's a pic of gold ZX around this section that has one of the nicest flare jobs we've seen (posted by icice9). I don't plan on getting super wide wheels, so that's why a subtle flare job would be perfect.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:52 PM

That would be that '82 with an RB26 and Skyline rear suspension subframe, right? That car is the ish.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:55 PM

Is that car on this site?

Dorifto, I sent you a PM. You might be interested in what it has to say.

If anyone else has suggestion on parts, send em this way.

Would you guys prefer a hood with the latch or hood pins?

What do you think of CF versions of the exterior emblems?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:23 PM

Has anyone ever come up with a replacement for the T-tops? I know that with sunroof cars, sometimes people will replace the glass/panel with something like a cf plate. I wonder how feasible it would be to make a t-top replacement (that doesn't leak!).
Old 04-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by Heat Rave R
Has anyone ever come up with a replacement for the T-tops? I know that with sunroof cars, sometimes people will replace the glass/panel with something like a cf plate. I wonder how feasible it would be to make a t-top replacement (that doesn't leak!).
That would Be awsome.. theres something new.. I would prefer a latch for the hood and a turbo emblem would look nice in CF.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:01 PM

Theres a red Z from Mid Knights racing team I got a pick from overboost.com but its the only pic i can get from that car. If you want to take a look at that Z and the other gold Z RB26, Id be glad to give you the pics J. Just give me your email address and ill send them to you.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:07 PM

"Theres a red Z from Mid Knights racing team I got a pick from overboost.com but its the only pic i can get from that car. If you want to take a look at that Z and the other gold Z RB26, Id be glad to give you the pics J. Just give me your email address and ill send them to you."

That would be great. I'll put my email at the end of this post.

As far as T-Tops go. That is completely do-able. The ones I have planned just replace the glass with CF, and the rest remains stock. To keep the part light, the panel is really thin, but still incredibly strong and stiff. The edges are thicker so that it will still seal up in the original trim. I will only be offering the replacement for the glass though. The rest of it is up to you, because I don't want to be responsible for any damage like to the weatherstripping. That stuff is expensive. Probably cost more then the CF part would.

Any emblem I can get my hands on I plan to make in CF and C/K. They won't offer any benefit, but hey, they'll look cool as hell.

I'm also trying to fease together a replacement for the stock bumper supports. Those things are damn heavy. I'm not talking about the absorbers, but rather the heavy gauge piece of metal that connects these to the bumper cover. They wouldn't be quite as strong in an impact, but they would offer significant weight savings for racing applications. That would shave a significant amount of weight while allowing you to retain your stock fron end, or aftermarket. Anyone like that idea?

Keep it coming guys.
Heres that email Zskyline79
jfairladyz@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber