280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you Dye Plastic Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 06:09 PM

Can you Dye Plastic Parts?

Can you dye the door sills, ecu and fuse box kick plates and make it last?
I dont want to dye them and 3 months later it look sick.
Does the professional dye look good and last?
My Z is black interior except for the three areas listed above, and i want to make it all black, if it can be done to last.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:17 PM

On the parts that werent black on my car I used black die from the local AutoZone and it works great! It also lasts and you can use Armor-All on it like all your other interior panels. And dont worry it will last
Old 01-07-2007, 06:58 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Or you can do what I did, and use the Dupli-color spray paint. Just clean up the pieces you want to paint. Use 1500 sandpaper or close to it. And spray the paint on, 3 coats seems to work for me. I have done most of my interior that way, and it turned out great. And you can get the paint in different colors. You can also buy dupli-color at Walmart, Autozone, Checker, Pep Boys etc....

And I did my interior in blue and silver, still touching it up. But it is over 90% finished. I will have to get some more recent pics of it. Probably after I finish primering my Z. Stay tuned.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Or you can do what I did, and use the Dupli-color spray paint. Just clean up the pieces you want to paint. Use 1500 sandpaper or close to it. And spray the paint on, 3 coats seems to work for me. I have done most of my interior that way, and it turned out great. And you can get the paint in different colors. You can also buy dupli-color at Walmart, Autozone, Checker, Pep Boys etc....

And I did my interior in blue and silver, still touching it up. But it is over 90% finished. I will have to get some more recent pics of it. Probably after I finish primering my Z. Stay tuned.
Thats the exact same stuff I was talking about, as long as you prep it good it comes out real nice.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by WildmaN

I used the same paint (same color too) to paint the rear interior pieces and it worked great. I used 4 coats on some badly-yellowed pieces, but 3 did the job most of the time.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:51 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Right on man, sounds great. And welcome to Zdriver loddie, this really is a great website, with lots of cool people, and useful info.

I mainly used 3 coats, probably did have to use 4. I just said 3 for most applications. Unless in your case, you had some yellowed parts. Also you want to wipe with a clean cloth, after sanding of course.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:41 PM

thats what i did.. got the spray can at autozone.. and re-did all my interior parts.. now its all black rather then tan..
Old 01-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Big Poppa

make sure to use stuff called plastic prep, makes the stuff stick better, best company for the spray is actually S.E.M they got good dye.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:13 AM

Man, I feel like I didnt do any work compared to you guys. I just used the textured Rustoleum plastic paint from Home Depot (Ive used it on all my cars so far) and I only did 1 coat at that. Looked great on all my vehicles but as far as long term I cant say... yet.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
make sure to use stuff called plastic prep, makes the stuff stick better, best company for the spray is actually S.E.M they got good dye.
yea SEM has good stuff, I did vinyl armest and dash on my old car with that a few years ago and it lasted.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by DGriffin
Man, I feel like I didnt do any work compared to you guys. I just used the textured Rustoleum plastic paint from Home Depot (Ive used it on all my cars so far) and I only did 1 coat at that. Looked great on all my vehicles but as far as long term I cant say... yet.
If that crap actually worked for you, you are the guy I know of who had success with it.

Congrats!

I tried that stuff and had horrific results.

The DuliColor worked a thousand times better.

Rod.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
If that crap actually worked for you, you are the guy I know of who had success with it.

Congrats!

I tried that stuff and had horrific results.

The DuliColor worked a thousand times better.

Rod.
I didnt know until now duplicolor works for that. But its defintely been a progression, my first truck came out a lil rough in spots because I sprayed to close, 2nd truck 100% better but still some shiny spots from spraying to close(neither that noticable but once you find a flaw its all you see.) And I just did almost all my interior peices for my 280 yesterday and PERFECT!!!! I ended up with a few shiny spots but once I saw them I dabbed a paper towel over them and the whole thing came out perfect with a awesome texture look & feel. But as far as holding up over time anything short of scrapped with a sharp metal object itd be fine.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:22 PM

I used the plastikote stuff and it looked pretty rough on my previous interior. Are all of these paints and not dyes?
Old 01-09-2007, 03:56 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yes it is paint, but not your ordinary kind you use. The paint I am mentioning, is a vinyl and interior paint. It sticks great, and looks killer. Go look at my cardomain in my sig. And see the dupli-color in action, in my pics. I will be updating that page some more soon.