240Z-280ZXT S30-S130 Tech Tips For 70-83 S30's & S130's

$150 interior refresh

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:55 PM
eff good grammar

alright i thought i would perform a little update since its been some time since i have done this stuff, it hasnt gotten any further how ever, its still grey and black from the rear of the doors back.

the headliner is still staying up after using s WHOLE can of mystery 3M stuff. they changed their cans and their look and how they identify things, the no longer number things like they used to now instead if you go to a supply store you find cans with guages printed on them that have less old to more old and i got one with the dial 3/4 full which menas a better old. used the whole can and it was about $15

some of the painted interior pannels are holding up ok and some arent. right behind the door the sill peice that goes up and down is still not scratched at all except from where i missed with a screw driver, seat belts and stuff have been scraped by and been rubbing aginst it for almost a year and its not scratched, i did a kick pannel down under the dash and its the same way, the bottom driver side door sill will not hold any paint and its getting the same ammount of abuse as the others so go figure.

the pannels arround the pop out windows are strange, in some spots the paint wont ever come off but others it scratches easily. i wonder if it has something to do with the vynil and how its mabe more dry in places. these pannels are constantly in and out of my car, theyre currently out because i had to rip into the stereo wiring.

the upholstered pannels are doing ok. the headliner has no problems like i said before but the rear pannels are having some problems, they are still stuck to the backings for the most part, they arent unglued so much they look bad. i just pulled up a little to test it and its sticky but comming off the backing. theyres one problem i hadnt taken into consideration......the sun.

the rear pannels are fading, they are almost a grey or green color depending on the pannel and how much sun it gets. like some ones green 280 carpet. the headliner doesent get any sun so its ok but i am supprised at the rate of fade this fabric has, i have found the same fabric in other cars that was barely faded even after several years, almost a decade. so i am kind of dissappointed, i may have to redo these or i may just put something over the top of them..... or get new pannels any way.

i am obviously going to have to get some new interior pannels because of how some spots wont hold the paint, i dont want black and i cant seem to find a plain grey. any other color just wont work. i figure a black and grey interior wont be too bad any way.

i can find silver but there arent any real pictures, if the silver really silvery looking or is it just a fancy name for grey?