240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Z ac

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 10:08 AM
jbq

Z ac

hi every one ,
I have 280z model 77 . I want to install an ac and my question is , does the ac effect on the efficiency of the car ? are there any problems that I should avoid ? as you know the car is very old , it used to be driven without ac , and if I change that can the car be driven without any issues after installing ac system ?
thanks
Old 11-09-2016, 07:58 AM

Of course AC has an effect on a car's performance.

Air conditioning uses a compressor that is driven by the motor. That puts a load on the motor which takes some of your horsepower away from the drivetrain, i.e. less power to the wheels.

The system moves heat from the car's cabin. This is done by transferring heat to a radiator which is mounted in front of your existing radiator. That heat mostly gets moved through the engine's radiator causing the cooling system of the engine to work harder. If your current cooling system is marginal, it needs to be upgraded.

All that said, if you live somewhere where it's hot, A/C is a must unless you drive only when it is a cool day. Obviously when you want performance, you can turn off the A/C.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:09 PM
jbq

Thanks for the info