240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Windshield wiper questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:58 AM

Windshield wiper questions

So... I researched and read the reasons why my windshield wipers don't work and yesterday devoted the morning to solving this problem once and for all; and succeeded, kind of... which leads to the next question as well. I found that the relay was fine, and that the motor was getting electricity so the switch was good too. Forums and a friend told me that with a car sitting in storage this long, that the linkage may be frozen... pulled the motor (four mounting bolts and the linkage bolt) and removed that... set it aside.. removed the linkage (6 small bolts/screws) and set that on the work bench. Every joint was frozen tight... so I went to work. An hour later, all joints worked perfectly. Thought... plugged the bracket/motor in and turned on the switch... motor worked fine!!! Installed everything, and one wiper... no go.... and read where this wiper system was a PITA from new but need a solution... In my opinion, I need to RainX the windshield to make it as slippery as possible.... then new blades are a must... but it seems as though the spring holds the arms wayyyyy too tight against the glass!!! Possible? I can hold the blade a little off the glass and no problem.... And read one post where someone said the arm cap should be only one quarter turn tighter than to contact.... ideas on that one? Ideas on the spring being too tight? Ideas on how someone can lose one of the arm cap nuts? I am looking for someone to blame and only found one person for that!!! Thanks... Dennis
Old 04-16-2013, 05:00 AM

Ps

I made several contacts about a Honda CRX/Civic motor and found a couple I could live with... and will keep looking for one of those now in the weeds.....

Another question: On Ebay they show the cap nuts to hold the windshield wiper blades on the linkage shafts.... fine, but hint that ALL Datsuns have these cap screws.... Anybody know if that is true or not? If so, I will try to find an old Datsun B210 in the weeds....