240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Where do these go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:16 PM
ダットサンマニアック

Where do these go?

Hey guys,

I'm installing the tokico blues/springs on my rear suspension. While I'm at it i was going to change the bushings. I was looking on MSA's website today add I noticed that they sell "Urethane Bump Stops" http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PSDC06E/23-4196
Where exactely do these go on the suspension of the car, between the insulator and spring seat? And are these in the energy suspension master kit?

pictures would be nice

Thanks

Allen
Old 04-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Über User

all have bump stops... when you take out th stock suspension you'll see them, and then you'll know. but they are standard equipment.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:27 PM
ダットサンマニアック

dude, I already took out the rear suspension and I didn't see anything like these. Where are these suppose to go?

Allen
Old 04-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Über User

really... my bad, im trying to think, i know i used them on my Z32 and other suspension setups when i changed them i just cant think where.... its so simple im just having a huge brain fart and a half right now cause i have alot going on myself.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:12 PM

They go on the shaft of the damper cartridge after you put the retainer/gland nut on, but before the spring, or the boot, or the spring perch, etc. I'm not surprised you didn't see any when you took it apart. I took my '78 apart, and saw no bump stops, but wondered how or why a mouse would have crawled into the boot. What I thought were mouse droppings were little shreds of rubber left from the long dead bump stop. I did the exact upgrade/change you did (the tokico springs and blue tubes), and used the MSA bump stops. You do need to trim a little off of it (like 3/8" I think), but it works great. Try to re-use the shock boots if you can (and do not run without them), because new ones are pretty expensive.
So, order of assembly: put the damper cartridge in, fill to recommended level in the housing with moto fork oil or atf fluid, put the retainer/gland nut on, put the bump stop (trimmed) on, then the spring, then the upper perch with the boot, then the spacer/isolator, then the top nut to hold the whole mess together.
Edit: almost forgot, no they do not come in the master kit from MSA.
Good luck!
Dave

Last edited by BoulderZ; 04-09-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:32 PM
ダットサンマニアック

thanks Dave, I'll finish the rest of the rear suspension by this weekend. Yea, I think we're doning the same set up on the rear, 4.38 diff, tokicos, and energy suspension.

Ohh ya, i was looking as the haynes manuel, the 240 70-73 didn't come with the boot. Although, the Z's after that did.

Allen
Old 04-13-2007, 08:51 AM

Wow, no boots in the early ones! Didn't know that. Not surprised they added it later. That's tough on damper cartridge shafts. I need to clean up and sell my old shock boots and steering rack boots. How'd the reinstall go?
Dave