240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Tune Up Parts Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 06:45 PM
tah

Tune Up Parts Question

Okay we're talking about a 72 240. Been sitting pretty idle for a long time and seems really sluggish. A lot of hesitation and surging. What do I need besides plugs, points, distributor cap & fuel filter. The points and cap look really good!!!

Timing light? Dwell meter? Rebuild the SU's??

Running pretty doggy, and from what I read here, shouldn't be slow at all
Old 08-09-2004, 12:41 PM

tune up

Originally Posted by tah
Okay we're talking about a 72 240. Been sitting pretty idle for a long time and seems really sluggish. A lot of hesitation and surging. What do I need besides plugs, points, distributor cap & fuel filter. The points and cap look really good!!!

Timing light? Dwell meter? Rebuild the SU's??

Running pretty doggy, and from what I read here, shouldn't be slow at all

First, take a deep breath. Remember to let out breath. Summary of my '70 240Z: bought it based on seller's pictures and (supposed) insight on the car, that it was a one-family car, upgraded and maintained, not beaten on, etc. Swore on a stack of bibles that it was road-worthy, and could be fully restored quite easily. Had it shipped to my home, and it's been only after owning it for 6 months that I can drive it around.

Your description of the car's performance sounded like mine, too, which in a way is pretty typical for cars like this that were 'garaged'.

From what you describe, the first thing I would do is check the gas in the tank since gas tends to gunk up if left sitting in the tank for a while, and it tends to clog the lines, mess up the carbs, etc. You may need to get the tank flushed, as well as the fuel filter and lines. While you're at it, have the spark plugs checked, and if needed, changed, as well as the distributor points, and have the carbs' timing checked (Motorsports has a pair of synchrometers that are user-friendly in case you want to check it out yourself). Don't automatically assume the carbs need to be re-done until all else is checked out first, since this can be rather pricey (trust me, I've had to get it done). And since I had to have the ignition coil changed on my car, just check out the condition of your; this should all help out the running of the car. IN other words, a pretty decent tune-up should even out a lot of bumps in the car's behavior. Remember that you're dealing with a 32-year old car, so some parts just wear out.

I also noticed your other post regarding the rust issues on the car...this car is notorious for hiding rust, and if you're able to get the prior owner to 'help' on the cost of the repair, you lucked out.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:24 PM

Ta. Keep it simple to start with . First I would replace the fuel filter and you may have the filters at the inlet to each carb . Those are unnessary . Surging can be caused by a weak fuel pump. You havent provided much information to go on here. Check the vacume advance on the dist also. You said that the points look good ? As long as they are not burned or pitted then just check the gap , and adjust to spec. If the car hasen't been driven regularly the fuel could be stale, fill with fresh hi octaine and drive the car and use up what is in the tank. If the car has been setting for over a year and a half then drain the tank. Backing up a bit , if the fuel filter is found to be clogged or dirty and the cause of the problem , by all means drain the tank.