240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Not starting send help aSAP

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 10:31 PM

Andy,
Where you located ? Sometimes it helps to get somone to stop by your place to take a look .

Was the car running before and then all of a sudden wouldn't start , or did you buy the car and find out its not starting now ?

You say you are getting spark at the plugs , and fuel to the cylinders. IS the car a late 72' with the flat top carbs or an early 72 ' or a converted car with the round tops ???

Is the car trying to turn start or does it just turn over ?

Whats the timing set at ? Has the distributer been removed ?

Give me a bit more information and I will try to give you an hand getting it going .

Take Care,
Mike
Old 05-18-2003, 10:58 PM

Andy,
Check and see if you have it wired correctly . Did you change the plugs
when you changed the wires ? Sometimes the plugs foul and the
car either won't start or it will run like crap.

It would take a lot for the plug wires to go out all at once . Usually they fail slowly.

Check your fuel filter and make sure its not clogging. I know you said your getting fuel to the plugs. Also check the points . Sometimes the setting slips and the car looses timing.

You will get it running its just a matter of elimimation . I had a problem with my car last year and after changing just about everything I figure out it was one of the plugs.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:13 PM

Andy,
I had a brand new plug go bad or foul on me all of a sudden. The sad thing was I changed the cap, rotor, coil , plug wires, reset the timing , adjusted the valves before I finally replace the plugs. I put new plugs in and it fire right up and ran fine.

If the car sits for awhile they tend to get junk in the tank and it can break loose and clog the filter or the opening in the tank.

Mike