240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

non turbo intercooler question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 08:19 PM
Dead

Re: non turbo intercooler question

Some people are kinda confused on why an intercooler works. On a turbo motor, the action of compressing the air builds up a lot of heat making the air going into the engine really hot. The intercooler takes this hot air and provides a large surface of aluminum for the outside air of a lower temp to cool the hot air inside. Using an intercooler on a n/a engine wouldn't change the intake air temp because there would be no difference in temp from inside the intercooler to the outside. Not temp difference, no heat transfer. Make sense?
-jeremy-

Old 03-15-2002, 03:07 PM
Dead

At best, you can expect to get the same amount of horsepower that you started with. First off, you need to go read up about how windchill works. You are trying to get something for nothing here. If there is no heat difference between the inside of the intercooler and the outside, there is going to be no heat transfer. The only way for the air moving over the outside to have a "wind chill" effect would be if there were a temp difference. Think of it this way. Is a pole sticking up out of the ground with wind blowing over it cooler that the air blowing over it? You can experiment with this. Take temperatures of things outside on a windy day. Let me guess, they will all be the same?? I think you time and money would be better wasted on a perpetual motion machine, because people are just going to laugh when they see an intercooler on a n/a car!
-jeremy-
if you really wanna do it though, is a Isuzu NPR, cause they look the coolest!! HAHAHA

Old 03-15-2002, 10:33 PM
Externally Wastegated

The intercooler idea is unique and may lower the intake temp, but the pressure drop resulting from the piping and intercooler might make you stay at the same hp. I don't know if that's totally true, but it's just my .02.

Old 03-15-2002, 11:18 PM
Dead

Come on guys, this is really amazing me?? Are you actually buying into this intercooler crap on a N/A engine?? Before you go on talking about this, I think you guys need to read up on the laws of thermodynamics.

Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics
Two systems individually in thermal equalibrium with a third system are in thermal equilbrium with each other.

The First Law of Thermodynamics
The internal energy of a system changes from an initial value U(I) to a final value U(F) due to heat Q and work W:
change in U=U(F)-U(I)=Q-W

Second Law of Thermodynamics
Heat flows spontaneously from a substance at a higher temperature to a substance at a lower temperature and does not flow spontaneously in reverse direction.

Third Law of Thermodynamics (not needed for this explaination, but interesting stuff none-the-less)
It is not possible to lower the temperature of any system to absolute zero in a finite number of steps.

Now, to explain wind chill factor, lets look at how the wind chill factor scale was made. Way back in the day, people realized that it felt colder outside when the wind was blowing. To figure out a scale of relative temperature, they devised a method. When the wind was blowing, they stuck a bucket of water outside and timed how like it would take for the water to freeze solid. The wind chill factor was determined by comparing the time to freeze the water in the wind compared to the time it would take to freeze with no wind. So, if the wind is blowing and it is -8C outside and it takes five minutes for the water to freeze, the windchill temp could be said to be
-20 since it takes five minutes for the bucket to freeze at -20 with no wind. The thing is, wind cannot cool something more than the outside temperature is to begin with, like with the intercooler on the N/A engine. The air going into the intercooler is the same exact temp and the air outside, since it is the same stuff. Therefore no temperature change. You guys need to go read a science book before you buy into all this crap. Go with the alcohol injection if you want to cool your intake air temp. That will work.
-jeremy-

Old 03-16-2002, 11:16 PM
Dead

In responce to tombarace14, then answer is no, hooking up your air conditioning to your intake will not give you a power increase. Again, we are trying too hard here to get something for nothing!! Remeber, by turning on you air conditioner compressor pump, you are sucking fifteen to twenty horse right there to turn the thing. The gain you will get from the colder air going into the engine will be less than that. You can't get something for nothing!!!! By moving energy from one source to another, there is always a loss, and that is what you will experiece. Also, by opinion on the alcohol injection is to use a pump and a sprayer nozzle. If you use the venturi action, I don't believe that the alcohol will be atomized enough, therefore reducing your cooling effect. Use something like a windshield washer pump and a sprayer nozzle that you can get at a hardware store. Easy setup that actually works!
-jeremy-

Old 03-17-2002, 08:28 PM
Dead

I have heard of people getting a performance gain by using the air conditioner over an intercooler on a turbo motor. So you idea was sound!!
-jeremy-

Old 03-19-2002, 03:18 PM
Dead

Re: lol

I think that you are right in that alcohol injection wouldn't help an N/A motor out that much. There isn't really that much of a performance increase with temperature drop. On a turbo motor though, the increase is supposedly a whole bunch. First off, with a slightyly cooler charge of air, the pressure is going to drop allowing the turbo to increase its output to maintain the pressure at where it is set. That equates to more cubic feet of air going into your engine. Also, by injecting alcohol, you will make the air fuel mixture harder to ignite giving you the same effects as a higher octane gasoline. By essentially raising the octane of the fuel, you can therefore increase the turbo boost output. So, just putting alcohol injection on a turbo motor wouldn't really do a whole lot, but it makes it possible to squeeze more power from the turbo. I have heard on the www.turboford.com that alcohol injection gives you almost as much power increase on a turbo motor as an intercooler.
-jeremy-
ghostkilla2179, what is so funny about this post that made it so entertaining???