240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

new Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 07:03 PM

new Z

well guys i just purchased a 78 280 Z. it has had a complete engine rebuild, mild cam, struts springs, sway bars, new radiator new braded steel brake lines, new injectors new rings. it has stock exuast. new i want to upgrade the header, is it as simple as just taking off the old one and putting the new one on, as far as just the header goes?
Old 06-22-2006, 03:31 PM
I have a present for you...

You will have to remove the intake since they share the same gasket and you will find that the flange on the new header is thinner than the original. Since both intake and exhaust share some of the same studs, you will need step washers to compensate or you will bend, possibly break off a stud. I don't know if anyone offers the stepped washers. I took some stock ones and milled about .100" off one half and they worked fine. Afteer you get it on you will need to get it to a muffler shop to get a new headpipe made and installed to the muffler. It's best to run all new 2 1/2 " pipe to the rear with your choice of muffler. I like the SuperTrapp which you heard on mine because it's tunable.