240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

mag wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:32 AM

mag wheels

The good news... the car came with a decent set of mag wheels, no centers but I will deal with that.... and brand new expensive tires on all four corners... The bad news... when I put the car up on jack stands, and removed all four wheels to work on the body of the car, I found that the lug nut shanks were just no long enough... Does anybody have any expertise in this area? The wheels are one inch thick... it appears they need the washer? but I am not sure.. and the existing wrong nuts are labeled starting with 12P.... meaning 12 mm??? and the shank just barely goes inside the wheel.... My plan B on this is to find a local old time parts store that will sell me one of each of the two shank lengths I think I need and then buy them.... but any ideas/suggestions are welcome here from someone who has been there/ done that... thanks
Dennis
Old 03-30-2013, 04:33 AM

mag PS

Pictures available upon request... I did send the information to three ebay lugnut professionals....business must be good because none of them bothered to reply.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:46 AM

Screw and nut retailers

There has to be someone like Tacoma Screw near you, I remember Nismo referring others to a similar company, these guys usually carry just about every dimension of nut and bolt you might imagine. Every time Ive gone in they have had what I needed, fasteners of all kinds, tools too. Locations
Old 04-04-2013, 05:26 AM

Thanks

Hey... thanks for the lead but I went there and looked around a bit and they do sell lug nuts there, but only the basic lug nuts for vehicles.... Around here, we have a similar company called Fastenal.. and I have their massive catalog... same kind of a deal. What I need is someone who has gone through this before and knows something about mag wheels, probably someone who had a set in the 60's or 70's.... My other recourse, which is probably what will happen, is to go to the small town auto store, not the big chain auto stores, and the last time I was in there, he sold them from a "bin" of all things, not prepackaged... and I would probably remove a wheel and bring it along.... if I cannot find someone who has been there and done that..... This forum has been extremely helpful in the build process for this car and I thanks everyone who has helped.. I am down to one mechanical roadblock that is going to prevent me from driving this car and that is the lug nut issue... everything else that needs to be done amounts to cosmetic things, and finding the right product at the right price and no, that is not going to happen by going to Pep Boys... I am going to have some fun at swap meets this summer!!!! If anybody has had a set of mag wheels, let me know if you have ever had to buy lug nuts for them.... the sellers on Ebay, three main ones, are no help what so ever... Thanks! Dennis
Old 04-04-2013, 05:47 AM
I have a present for you...

Summit racing sells lug nuts in the correct thread and length you need. 12mm fine pitch, pretty sure it's 1.25 pitch.