240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

lsd

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 05:14 PM
I have a present for you...

lsd

Anybody tried a Phantom Grip? I see them on eBay for $288. I just got a R200 with 3.9s from the pic n pull. Should I get one or wait for the real thing?
Thanks, Tom
Old 04-01-2003, 11:14 AM
3.0 ltr 77-280Z

I was actually going to post the same thing. I am curious about it as well..
Old 04-01-2003, 08:48 PM

I bought one anyway. It's going to be about 3 weeks before i can get everything cleaned up and installed with urethane bushings.
I am concerned about "thumping" on hard shifts. I've been hearing stories about it and I think the front mount is the culprit.
I am going to design a bracket that allows movement but resticts it from going to far without sacraficing the isolation that it was meant to give. I remember the early Chevy V8's had the rear engine mounts on the bell housing and a power shift would break the distributor cap against the firewall, but the motor mount would look fine. It was always the left rear mount that broke. The 77z that I took the R200 out of had a bracket that had a ruberized strap that looped over the front of the diff. Anyone know if this is stock?
Tom
Old 04-06-2003, 09:43 PM

Your right dozer! Even my '70 has one! I think it looks pretty weak. I didn't realize this until I started to put my R200 in, never noticed it before, how embarrising! I guess I'll leave it in but I'm going ahead with the mount idea, shouldn't be to hard.
Regards, the ramz
Old 04-07-2003, 03:34 PM

A co-worker of mine who's into the Mitsubishi/Eagle AWD cars said he installed a few of those Phantom's in transaxle rebuilds. They're in cars that get regular abuse with no signs of trouble. He has yet to tear one back down and inspect it, but so far after a year, everything's OK.