240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

L24 Vs L26 Vs L28 Vs L31

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 08:29 AM
The Evil Twin

Re: L24 Vs L26 Vs L28 Vs L31

The L28 is a longer stroke and that usually means it will not free rev as fast. The added torque makes it rev up faster while pulling the car. It should defiantly have more power than the L24. Even a stoker crank can rev up very high. I guess its mainly dependant on your head work. If your intake and exhaust is very well done and you head is too, then it should have no problem at higher rpms.

To get a 3.1 engine you have to not only bore it but stroke it. If you do a 3mm overbore (which is a safe limit) then you'll have a 3.0 but with the same stroke as the L28 because you didnt' change the crankshaft.
Changing pistons is a way to change your compression ratio, but not all Nissan pistons are the same height. I dont' know all the details on that. Just use the later 280zx block F54 with flat top pistons and then whatever head you have now and you'll increase your compression. (unless that's already what you have)
Your engine might feel like 200hp, but it probably doesn't have that kind of power at the wheels. I'd say maybe 150hp. I saw a car on the dyno with what you've got only he had tripple webbers. He dynoed at 151hp at the wheels. Truthfully, most people with n/a engines don't dyno all that high but they sure do get some really fast quarter mile ETs with their light weight 240Z.

When I do a rebuild, I was thinking of just boring the engine and putting in new pistons from maybe a 240SX or something. That'll give me an L30 but with the same stroke I'm used to. I'll just re-tune the AFM to add a little more fuel for the increase displacement. it'll probably add another 10hp and maybe 15 lbs of torque.