240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

kids don't try this at home

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 04:05 PM

kids don't try this at home

My Sister just bought a new Honda. There, I said it. She spent the last two months looking for that new car too. To me that's like taking two months thinking of clever names for your new puppy and decide on "Spot," or "Rex." I guess purchasing a new car is a difficult task for most people. Although I cant figure out why, since they all seem to look alike these days.

Having said that, I'm not to sure I could have made a quicker decision either. I'm guessing I would start my search by looking at cars with performance. Not the ones with Space Shuttle like dash boards that only a top MIT grad can figure out. Even after a year your still lying about their functions when asked. Do we really need live street maps? If you can read street names displayed in 6pt. text from your center dash mounted GPX monitor while driving down the freeway (Mr. eagle eye), how did you miss those huge green signs written in eight foot text, with reflective tape no less?

I know I would stay clear from cars offering personnel climate control LazyBoy seats too, even if they are endorsed by four out of five Orthopedic Doctors.

Ever notice they target families promising adventure and quality time with your children if you buy their SUV or mini van? Then why do they have multiple-individual-personal TVs, VCRs and CD players with head sets?

They all brag about their computerized suspension guaranteed to make potholes (and the occasional possum) a distant memory.

Commercials showing SUVs taking short cuts, disregarding orange hazard cones, narrowly surviving a Monster Truck course so little Billy can make it to his soccer game on time. Come on now people. Read the disclaimer warning you this was accomplished in Hollywood on a closed course by a top professional driver and should otherwise never be attempted. Think for a moment, a professional driver (wearing a helmet and fire resistant suite), on a closed course, and don't try this at home...hummm? Would you buy an outdoor gas grill after being warned by the company not to attempt actual cooking unless your a professional Firefighter in a non residential zone?

Small cars are "hip" and girls dig em, that's what their commercials say. Yeah well, a couple holding hands while skipping thru antique stores wearing matching rainbow sweatshirts somehow missed the target for me.

Then there's that all new state of the art vehicle, the Q45 with a camera mounted in the rear (I guess so they can see the on coming Z car, before it passes). I mean, if your bothered by driving, take a bus, a plane, a train, take a nap. Sheesh!

As for me and my Z, I feel every imperfection on my tax dollar roads and my dash mounted high tech clock died ten years ago. I guess having all those luxury items would be nice, but Hell, I'm too busy driving to enjoy them. For me, just getting to my job takes work. I'm usually running late, half asleep, shifting gears with a scorching cup of 7-11 coffee (lava isn't this hot) between my legs with one eye on the tac needle and one eye in the rear view mirror to watch a shrinking Q45.

Say, maybe that rear mounted camera isn't such a bad idea after all.---go z racer, go

Old 05-11-2002, 03:09 PM

Re: kids don't try this at home

i know the feeling....
im at a light and this old man pulls up to the light damn in his 85 dodge aries, so i decided to revv it and i can notice that hes game so we wait for the green light.
BOOM we step on it something screeching (brakes prolly), smoke everywhere (exhaust prolly) he pulls away then i pull away for 3 minutes we went and he ended up turning BUT MARK MY WORDS....... I HAD HIM!!!!

wooohooo done done finaly done