240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

how to build a V8 240z

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 02:52 AM
confuzed member

how to build a V8 240z

As some of you know, I was put in an unfortunate situation that ended in my TT being totalled. It will be missed, but I am now going to have about $10,000 to gradually put into another car...hopefully I can stick with a Z. This time, I want to go with a 240z. I want to do the V8 conversion. I already started checking on ebay and a bunch of other sites for motors and I found a 240 that may work...need advice on that too. Here it is:
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...6/69133316.htm
Hopefully that'll be good. It has a 280 motor in it that should allow me to get around for a while. (right?) I'm gonna call the guy sometime this week and go look at it. And I found a few 350s that mostly are built to be pushing around 420-450 hp at the crank. What all would I have to do to get this motor in a 240z and let it run reliably as a DD? I know...gas..not an issue. What kind of tranny setup should I be using? driveline upgrades? eventually I want to supercharge the motor too, lower compresion internals, any body mods? Thanks for all your help, I'm new to this first gen Z stuff.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:34 AM
Z Extreme Guy

hay if your going to to a 350 small block do not buy a suesed one.it is so importent.most pepol that sell them lie out there *** on whats done to it.plus you will have to tare it down to cheek it any ways.if i was you i would buy a crate engin from some where like sumit, or jegs. or even a local auto parts store this way you know what your getting.i know lots of pepol that have done this and they ones that went used regret doing it.also look up scarab kit on the web.and msa has a hole set up engian and all.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:18 AM

That '73 240 look pretty good. Just make sure there is little or no rust and the frame rails are straight. For the V8 conversion pick up the Jags That Run (JTR) conversion manual http://www.jagsthatrun.com/ . That will answer a lot of questions. Getting a crate engine is an easy option and would be reliable. You could also go with a LT-1 if you wanted a fuel injected engine rather than carb. If you do drop in an engine with 450hp at the crank, I doubt you would want to supercharge it after that. It will be plenty fast and you will have problems hooking up as it is. Check out Hybridz.org for all the info you need on V8 conversions.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:56 PM
confuzed member

Thakns for the replies. I've been reading a lot up on this and am starting to realize that it's gonna be a lot of work. I knew it would be, but all the fabrication and stuff, I just wasn't aware. I still want to do it though. I've been thinking about the LT1 and have found some good deals on some LT1s that look pretty good. How well do these fit? My neighbor has a 2000 z28 with the LT1 and he's gotten it REAL quick (enough to give my old TT a fuss) without spending hardly any money and I'm sure he could help me too and that'd be pretty nice. What's the biggest part of this project? I'm just trying to plot out the course. Also, if I wanted to go the turbo route, how much power can be cranked out of a 280 turbo motor safely and stay daily driveable? Thanks for everything again...I have lots of questions and I keep getting more the more I read on it.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:03 PM

Why are you going this route instead of getting another TT? You say you have $10k gradually to get all of this done. How much is the insurance company giving you and where is the rest of the $ coming from (not to pry or anything)? I'm sure you already thought about this, but I'll mention it anyway. Can't you pirate your performance mods off of the totalled TT and swap them onto another one? A less expensive venture than your 350 idea would be to find a Z31 turbo in good shape and mod it. You won't get to 300HP as easily (250HP would be pretty attainable), but financially it makes more sense, plus you'll get better mileage. Don't get me wrong, I think the 350 idea is cool. I just know that the starving student cashflow doesn't make things easy. Just a couple friendly suggestions.

Buddha---what do you think is more economical? Z31 turbo + mods, or 240Z w/ a 350?
Old 04-13-2004, 01:16 AM
confuzed member

91, I have thought about this. The insurance company is giving me $10,250. I'll be making a little more than $5000 this summer. I'll be getting a part time job next semester (don't know what) I found the 240z in the link that has a 280 motor. I hafta see if it's going to last. I just need something that's going to last through the next 3 years or so. hopefully that car would do the trick. Then, I could use the extra money to start gathering parts and start building the motor and getting all the brackets and stuff gathered. Then spend a summer building it. (at home, I'd have another car to DD). I wouldn't get a Z31. Let's face it, they're ugly, not great power potential for the most part, and not my cup of tea...that's all my opinion by the way. If someone thinks there's a better option for me here, let me know. I need something that will have cheap insurance (a z31 turbo may not by the way) and will be reliable enoguh transportation. I've also considered s13's, but sr20s are kind of weak compared to an RB or VG or V8, plus I'm gonna miss being part of Z heritage so much and I don't know if I can leave this family. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:40 AM

$10,250 seems fair enough. Can you still pirate your performance mods off of it? The 240 does have a more 'classic' look than the Z31 and your insurance will be less. You won't have as many electrical component issues with the 240, but you will have more mechanical issues. The mileage should improve as well. Good luck. Keep in touch.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:50 AM
confuzed member

The problem about buying my car back form the insurance company is that I have no where to store it. I live in a fraternity house with limited parking and my house is 8 hours away. I don't own a truck or a trailer. I've offered it up to anyone who wants it for $850 (how much the insurance company is charging me for it). I only want the wheels and tires. The rest is whoever wants it. thta's a great deal considering that you get a full TT car with working motor, trns, very nice suspension, VERY clean interior. If anyone wants it here, email me. You just hafta pay me and you can come and pick it up. THe stereo and Wheels are all I'm keeping.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:13 AM

Check your PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:13 AM
confuzed member

I've been thinking more about this, I have a few more questions. Thanks for being helpful by the way to everyone. I kind of feel like a newbie all of a sudden here..haha. ANyway, what would be an easier and better project? A grand national motor, 2jz (supra), Rb, or V8 in the 240z? why would each be a better project too? would the inline 6's be easier since that's what's in the car now? would it be less fitment issues and more room to work with? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:00 AM
Z Extreme Guy

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Why are you going this route instead of getting another TT? You say you have $10k gradually to get all of this done. How much is the insurance company giving you and where is the rest of the $ coming from (not to pry or anything)? I'm sure you already thought about this, but I'll mention it anyway. Can't you pirate your performance mods off of the totalled TT and swap them onto another one? A less expensive venture than your 350 idea would be to find a Z31 turbo in good shape and mod it. You won't get to 300HP as easily (250HP would be pretty attainable), but financially it makes more sense, plus you'll get better mileage. Don't get me wrong, I think the 350 idea is cool. I just know that the starving student cashflow doesn't make things easy. Just a couple friendly suggestions.

Buddha---what do you think is more economical? Z31 turbo + mods, or 240Z w/ a 350?
well economicaly i would do a z31 t + plus mods.but i when i did the z31 + mods i still wasent happy with it.but it sure was cheper then what i did by a long shot. but doing the 240z w/350 thats not going to be too bad on the cash i think.there are kits to help him thourg it. if it was me i would do somthing els i think? like a vipper v 10, or a triked out 5.0. ummm mabey a 507 big block. i guess im always trying to do things difrent for the better.
but what ever he dose i will try to help him in any way i can. like if he wants to upgrade to a 280z suspetion(if it will fit ) he can come over and get a complet set for free from me i got 4 of them.

ps if i was looking for economical i would go put my money down on a z33. yep thats my next ride when im rich
Old 04-14-2004, 09:08 AM

You'd really waste your $ on a Z33!?! I'm surprised. There's not much you can do with it. Why not a Z32 TT? It's less expensive and far more modifiable.

I don't think a 500 ci would fit in the engine bay of that car. That's a lot of engine. Way heavier than the 350 too. I'd stay away from the 5.0's. Stick to the Chevy's. That Viper V10 is a really long engine. You'd wind up with the bell housing in the dash of the 240, or the radiator in front of the headlights.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:09 AM
Z Extreme Guy

Originally Posted by emo236
I've been thinking more about this, I have a few more questions. Thanks for being helpful by the way to everyone. I kind of feel like a newbie all of a sudden here..haha. ANyway, what would be an easier and better project? A grand national motor, 2jz (supra), Rb, or V8 in the 240z? why would each be a better project too? would the inline 6's be easier since that's what's in the car now? would it be less fitment issues and more room to work with? Thanks in advance.
emo236 look eny thing will fit. all of those moters will do fine. your fit isuess are never a problem and ill tell you why.
to do a convertion right you need 6 things:

1= money

2= cutting tourch (just in cases some triming is needed)

3= welder for adding nessacary parts that are not z related.

4=qualifed persons to run tools and parts

5= all parts necasary

6= the drive and the will to do what you want to do.(i dose not matter what i think or the outher guys think what you should do get all the info you can and go for it.it is your z.)

you need to think of this also what do you want the z to beabel to do?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by dr. buddha
what do you want the z to beabel to do?
At this point, probably put itself together. Maybe jump tall buildings in a single bound? Possibly be as fast as a McLaren F1, get the fuel mileage of a Prius and have the insurance premiums of a 70's VW bug. Attracting all those hot little college girls would be a bonus too. If you can get your Z to be able to do this, I'll place an order now.

Too much coffee this morning.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:41 AM

Veyenyl - Where in the bay area are you from?

Warning, potential thread hijack.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:45 PM

Not to take anything away from this site but have you also tried looking for info on www.hybridz.org They are focused on this type of mod to a Z car and may be able to provide some additional information.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:50 PM

emo236, i agree with buddha. the money you have is plenty to get a z to a good place, all you need is the will. don't let anyone talk you out of it once you make up your mind. personally i'd think the v8 or the turbo would be your best bet. the rb or 2jz is not a common swap, although it's been done, and would more than likely be a complicated swap. if your looking for raw hp and don't care about the fuel economy then go with the v-8. if your looking for decent hp (250-300, respectively) and still maintain good fuel economy go with the turbo swap. i'm getting ready to do one myself. the only downfall that i've heard is that the ecu in the early turbos is only an 8 bit processor where as your TT has a 32 bit processor which creates some problems getting the desired hp. if your running a standard 5-7 psi boost you'll be fine, but after that you start running into problems w/ fuel grade. you end up having to run a higher octane fuel. but you can still get a good amount of hp out of it and safely use it as a dd.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:01 PM
confuzed member

I'm leaning more and more to a V8. I've been doing MASSIVE amounts of research and stuff. I called that guy with the 73 and it sounds to be a good deal. I've been leaning to an LS1. I found the block and liggenfeltter corvette heads. I'm just shopping around and looking at what's out there and what I could do. My neighbor back at home is an ex-pro race car driver and hot rod junkie. He has things like a tig welder and everything else. His son, my buddy, has a 2000 Z28 with an LS1 and he knows how to build them which would be an advantage to using the LS1. I know that it's my choice ultimately, but I haven't owned a classic Z. I know lots about TTs, doesn't do me much good here. I respect all of your knowledge and take it into account since you've done the projects before (buddha). My goal is 500hp without forced induction..who know's with (down the road when it's not my DD). I think the V8 is the best option to fulfill that goal, does everyone agree? Thanks.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:22 PM

500 rwhp?...V8 vs Turbo...Yeah, go with the V8.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:18 AM
confuzed member

Other than extra cross members, what's a good way to reinforce the frame? By next summer, my budget for this project will be around $20,000. Is this going to be enough? It seems to be, but more things keep coming up for this project. I also saw a few 350 blocks that have been already built pretty nicely for decent prices. That would save alot of time. Does anyone know if I could simply bolt up ported/polished/etc LS1 heads to that block even if it's not an LS1 block? I know...I could find it out by researching...but hopefully someone here knows (just this one time). That'll be a good base to work with, and with bolt on's, I should reach my 500hp @ the crank goal easily. The blocks are going for about $1500 and the heads are going for about the same(that's what seems the most reliable on ebay based on LOTS of positive feedback), maybe I could find it cheaper through a junkyard or a friend. Yes, I've been spending MASSIVE amounts on hybridz.org. Great site for this project! That 73 that I posted earlier was a rust bucket. I went and looked at it today. I think I'm going to have to just spend around $3500 and get a good condition 240z and not have to worry about rust. Good info that all you have been helping me with, thanks!
Old 04-16-2004, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by AllmyZs
Go with the LS1, I had the LT1 in my 89 T/A and it was putting out 345HP stock. The LS1 is a superior design over the LT1 so if you can get one do it. I wanna see how it turns out. Do remember to reinforce the frame more than the standard V-8 swap. i had a freind that did a 440 magnum in a 280 but did not reinforce the frame. The 1st time he raced it he ripped the car in half from the twist of the torque. He did get it done right and that was on hell of a monster.
LOL a stock 440ci mopar has like 490ft/lbs of torque at 1500rpm, its no wonder the car corkscrewed on launch
Old 04-27-2004, 08:23 AM
confuzed member

your first question: why not a 5.0. Simple. More power and easier. Plus, I don't know of anyone who makes a kit to put a 5.0 in a Z. JTR makes a kit to put a 350 in the z, this makes the conversion a lot easier. Second question: why do people have auto's in Zs with V8?. Auto's are often better for drag racing.

Quick Reply: how to build a V8 240z