240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Gas tank issues today

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Hoov for Pres!

Gas tank issues today

Had a blast driving home today.
I was being robbed of fuel, so every time I accelerated the car would start to stumble. Pulled the fuel line off of the inlet of my pump, and could not get gas to come out. I used my mouth (Don't try this at home) and blew on the hose as hard as I could. No gay comments please. lmao
I could not get any air through it. I have a large transparent filter and could see flakes of tank line in it. Thinking I just had some minor blockage, I pulled around to the back of a gas station where there was an air compressor. I used the air compressor on the fuel line, and could not get it to blow out. I did find out that it would contain around 25psi though.. haha
Took the end off the tank and blew through the fuel line. No problem. Like throwing a hot dog down a hall way. There was no resistance.
So... Middle of nowhere, 300 miles from home I am.
Because my efforts of blowing into the tank, it was now 100% blocked.
I get to drop my tank at the gas station. Good thing I was behind the station.
Still had around 11 gallons of fuel in it. Figures. There was a stack of 5 gallon paint buckets with lids by the dumpster. Pulled the paint out and cleaned them with a rag soaked in some gas, and then pured the tank in them.

Too bad I didn't have children's hands or I would have done this much faster. But, I started pulling a large amount of latex consistency tank liner out.
I think the previous owner did this. But should have used POR-15.

This is what I was pulling out of the tank.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...0326081233.jpg

I am right in saying that this is NOT factory right?
It actually blocked the baffles in the tank so my fuel tank range was cut in half. I thought it was just a small tank, or the pick up tube was too high.

That was a couple hours of my life wasted breathing way too many gas fumes. Just felt like venting, and hope that my problem might help someone else down the road. Especially if it comes to the idea of using a cheap product to coat your tank.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Über User

so are you good at blowing hoses?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Hoov for Pres!

Thanks man. Hahaha

No, I must not have enough practice. I couldn't get it to release at all...
Old 03-27-2008, 09:32 AM
I have a present for you...

It looks like the stuff that Eastwood sells in a kit to clean and coat the inside. It wasn't done right soo to a radiator shop you must go for a boil out.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by theramz
It looks like the stuff that Eastwood sells in a kit to clean and coat the inside. It wasn't done right soo to a radiator shop you must go for a boil out.
I second theramz's suggestion to get the tank boiled out at a rad shop. It should be pretty cheap. I've heard everything from $30 to $100 depending on who does it, what region you're in, etc. Those DIY coat-the-tank kits cost $45 anyway (http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...ID=353&KICKER). It's too easy to mess up the application; and then you end up causing more problems than the kit would fix, as you just had to deal with due to the PO not doing it correctly. Glad you were able to get it home! Weird how that stuff never seems to go wrong in the driveway when you're doing routine checkups and maintenance.
cheers,
Dave
Old 03-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Hoov for Pres!

No kidding. Always when I am coming back from work, or going to. It's a long 4 hour drive.
I can remove it myself.
I have had really good results doing motorcycle tanks with POR-15 products. And it lasts. No flaking, or gumming. Not even inside my black motorcycle tank in the AZ heat.