240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Forced induction ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 11:33 PM

Forced induction ideas

Ok, first off, this is just a thought, I highly doubt I'd do this to my Z in the first place.

I've been reading around about forced induction like turbos and superchargers, and it seems that there are certain factors that need to be considered to do forced induction on a vehicle. These factors seem to be: a head that can withstand boost and lower compression in the motor. It seems the easiest way to reach this is to get a reliable head that is rated for boost, dished pistons to lower compression, an intake manifold for said induction, oil/oil cooler lines for the turbo, as well as an FMIC for the forced induction.

If I wanted to force induct my Z, what all would I need? I believe I would need a P90 head since it seems to be the best for forced induction, some dished pistons, and some rods that would withstand the boost, as well as an intake manifold for forced induction. Another modification might be the 3.1 stroker with 8mm rods and a crank from a diesel maxima.

So, what do you all think? Am I on the right track? What else would a person need to consider to properly force induct a vehicle?

I personally like the idea of a supercharger, because of it's continuous boost, whereas turbos have lag, depending on the distance the turbo is from the motor and the size of the turbine. I'd rather have continuous power than lag. I'm thinking something like a root style supercharger might be a way to go, but I'd have to figure something out. If I were to do it, it'd be all custom anyways, so I'd find a way .

Don't forget, I'm not even really considering this, I just wanted to see if I was on the right track.

Last edited by Fast240Z; 08-05-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:32 PM

yea i guess superchargers are good but if u do search on the difference of supercharger and turbo u will see which one has a better outcom. for example supercharger have alot of low bottom power while turbo have higher rpm power. supercharger are belt driven so it takes power to make power. while turbo runs of exhaust. to make your life easy for a turbo if thats what u do go get a zxt and slap in. it will either come with a p90 or p90a, u cant just use dish pistons. their is a difference in dish and turbo dish. i am personally building a cutsom turbo engine for my z. i cant say all what i have but im hoping what im doing no one has done yet alot of info on forced induction on hybridz