240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Fair Trade??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 08:09 AM

Fair Trade??

well, i currently drive a 4cyl. '85 mustang, a freebie from the grandfather, and it has recently been causing me trouble. it's my only car, considering i'm only 17. i drive it to school and work, and even then it causes me problems. i would love to do something to it, but it needs tons of restoration. my grandparents bought it new in early 90's, it was a display model, and has very low milage (65,000 or so). but the reason it's in need of restoration is that it wouldn't pass marta, and they just parked it at their work for 8 years. they work in the middle of downtown nashville, but believe it or not, the most damage done to it was the roof dented in from somebody standing on it to jump a fence, and the windshield cracked. now, i do plan on getting a 280z very soon, and it just so happens that my fellow classmate has two '76's 280z's, and wants to trade them for my mustang. he knows it needs work, and i know the 280'z need some work, and as soon as he gets one of them running, we might arrange the trade. now for the info on the 280's. he has two, one '76 and one '77. one automatic and one manual. the automatic is the one in best condition right now. we believe it is in need of a fuel pump, so i plan on taking one from the other and throwing it on just to check. i'll post more info after i look at them more, but tell me if this is an investment worth looking into. but to sum it all up, i don't have the money to fix my daily driver, and want a 280z that runs good to be a daily driver.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:11 PM
I have a present for you...

The only thing better than a Z is two of them! Realisticaly, if you have to have repairs made by someone on the Mustang, you will have a hard time finding someone to fix the Z cars. The FI system is complicated so if you choose the Z's, get both of them and a book or two. I know once you drive that biatch you won't want the Mustang any more.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:48 PM

I know once you drive that biatch you won't want the Mustang any more.
i drove a golf cart and liked it more than my mustang...
but seriously, i do enjoy driving the mustang, despite it's problems, and really really slow acceleration, the handling is like no other. but my brakes scare me... you have to press them far and hard to slow down, and it really doesn't help in the rain, considering it's rear wheel drive... i've spun out so many times in the same exact spot coming home from school on rainy days. and the brakes lock up, lol. at the routine 4-way stop on my way to school, when it rains, it's like my brakes don't work there, unless i remember to pump them. but that's like, 7 in the morning, too freakin early. i just get lucky, because that only happens when nobody is around. but i can't wait to get one of these Z's. I've wanted one since i turned 16, and my parents were like," alright, get a job and buy yourself a car." just so happens my grandfather had this mustang and gave it to me. but i found out recently that he once had a z, much like the ones i'm getting. either a 240z or 260z, but i'll still run it by him, seeing as we had fun fixing up the mustang, with two z's, who knows what we can do. but as the story goes, mustang= ho, 280z's= good.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:27 AM
confuzed member

The 280z will handle better than the mustang plus have the acceleration plus better looks IMO. Restoring any car is a lot of work, but you might as well restore something that will is more worth restoring. I mean, if you restore the mustang and then drive it and realize that you can't stand the lack of power, was it worth it. You wont have that problem with the Z.