240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Did I do "ok"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:43 PM

Did I do "ok"?

Ok, so I just recently purchased my first Z. It's a 1977 280z (and what is believed to be a "ZAP" edition) I paid $800 for her, shes runs fairly well for a '77 and drives OK. The issues: She is rusted.. roof has spots all over, rust along the top of the hatch glass, large rust spot behind the passenger side "little glass" lol, rear passenger fender, and worst of all the frame, which is pretty bad.. the floor pans, engine bay, spare tire area, wheel wells, and battery spot all seem to be ok from I've seen. The motor is great I've already replaced some vacuum lines and re-did the fusible wires because the kid the owned it before me had it wired up all sketchy with some speaker wire that kept shorting out and would allow the car to either die or not start at all but now it starts every time! I have a new exhaust for it already since the one on it now is all rusted out and falling apart, I have a new brake master cylinder, and ordered the Bad Dog frame rails. I'm also going to have a valve adjustment done. The interior is pretty nice with everything intact all the way down to the cigarette lighter which actually works! I just wanted to know what you guys thought as I am completely new to the forums as well as the "Z" world. With all the parts purchased including the car itself I'm in it $1400 (so far lol). I have a buddy that welds for a living who's willing to do the frame for free and another buddy that's a mechanic that is giving me really good rates to do some of the work. I'll try and attach a few photos I have and will post more tomorrow after work. Let me know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails Did I do "ok"?-photo-1.jpg   Did I do "ok"?-photo-2.jpg   Did I do "ok"?-photo-3.jpg   Did I do "ok"?-photo-4.jpg  
Old 01-22-2014, 09:46 PM

I'll also add that the photo of the engine bay was before I touched anything and if you can make it out, at the top you can see those janky wires he used haha but like i said I will post more pics tomorrow