240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Damn, she drives like a brick on wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 05:53 AM

Damn, she drives like a brick on wheels.

Hey Guys,
I was driving my 280 in downtown Baltimore yesterday, and she drives like a rock. Everytime I hit a bump, it sounds like she is going to fall apart. What can I do to make her run more smoothly over the road? I was thinking of new springs and shocks, anything else? I know sportscars are supposed to have a rough ride in general, but she sounds like she is going to fall apart. Let me know.

Terry
Old 03-13-2004, 01:10 PM

I have 4 new tires that are at the correct pressure. The car just sounds like it is falling apart if there are any bumps in the road. How easy is it to replace the bushings yourself?

T.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by BaltimoreZ
I have 4 new tires that are at the correct pressure. The car just sounds like it is falling apart if there are any bumps in the road. How easy is it to replace the bushings yourself?

T.
If memory serves there's a discussion about that in one of the current forums right now. you may also want to check the bump stops. If they're cut or missing that will make for a really rough ride.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:32 AM

Or you can stay STOCK you don't have to go performance! Performance will stiffen your ride (making ride quality worse) if your worried about that. Also you can do suspension youself (the so-called pros do alot of scary things when working on cars) It would be best to do it yourself it will cost less and you don't have to deal with some mechanic and pay outrageous. It isn't to difficult so it can be a weekend job.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:51 PM

Yeah definetaly spray some sort of penetrating oil. When I did my Z31s rear suspension I couldn't get the bolt at the bottom to move. I applied penetrating oil and still didn't work so I had to cut them out and get new bolts fun fun lol it does take alot of time though.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:46 PM

bumps

The original bushings were rubber, and they deteriorated over the years.
Replace all the bushings with urethane replacement parts and they will give a slighty stiffer ride with the advantage of not breaking down.

Unless you have a substantial press, getting the bushings out of the arms can be a bear, best to have a good shop handle the front end. DON'T mess with the springs, they are some of the best ever produced. Instead replace the struts with gas-filled units, for better handling, but not so firm as to rattle your jaw. Professionals use hydraulic spring compressors to handle the springs, a number of shadetrees have been hurt trying to use rental spring compressors, so be careful if you attempt it.

One of the most looked over repairs is the differential mount, they break apart and make a thud when going over bumps. To my knowledge the bushing is not available in urethane so you are stuck with NOS..Don't let anyone talk you into solid mounts, they are very noisey, do not allow desired flex and are for racing only. Might as well replace it when the rear suspension is reworked

The best penetrating oil I have found is "Sili Kroil" from Kano Laboratories. Spray down the nuts and bolts that you will need to remove the week before the work is scheduled and that allows the oil to do its job, hasn't failed me yet and makes the job so much easier. Use this stuff and you'll see what I mean.

Datsun did the job correctly the first time, try not to change the suspension configuiration and you will be awarded with a comfortable and stable ride.

There are quite a number of bushings, mounts and strut bumpers so be prepared to spend a few weekends doing the work. Make sure you have ALL the parts on hand before attempting then do the back first, its the easier of the jobs and then decide if your ready and willing to tackle the front end.

If you remove the strut assemblies you will need to bleed out the brake lines, so have the fluid on hand.

Good luck and happy motoring!

Last edited by Z*Tech; 03-17-2004 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Yikes, the brakes!