ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   buying first Z, advice plz.. (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/buying-first-z-advice-plz-1047/)

turrbo 01-01-2002 03:15 PM

buying first Z, advice plz..

hi, im planning on buying my first Z car..(looking for a 70-72 i think).
any advice on what to look for is very well appreciated.

And, do the automatic models really suck (can the engine be built up w/ an auto, are there aftermarket converters, are the automatics beefy)?

thanx.

AlansZ 01-01-2002 06:26 PM

Re: buying first Z, advice plz..

its been said a million times before, but i will say it again. Get a car that is rust free, mechanicals come second. It is a lot easier to fix mechanical problems than rust etc.

Alan, Australia

Ben 01-01-2002 07:17 PM

First a generalisation: for track racing the auto's suck (all auto's, all cars - not including semi-auto's).

But my '73 came out the factory as an auto & that's the way it's gonna stay, even with the 400+ HP L31ETT.

The 3N71B gearbox has been used by most Japanese manufacturers throughout the 70's & 80's. They can be built very tough (well tough enough for a 'L' block anyway).

I have a built up 3N71B & a 4N71B both with kevlar clutches, modified valve-body & higher stall (mid 2000's). I have been using the 3-speed for nearly 4-years with 2 different turbo Datsuns & the only problem I've had is blowing up vacuum modulators (literally). I have solved this problem by bleeding off the vacuum line & adding a check-valve & restriction to prevent it from becoming too pressurised under boost.

The way I feel, is that it's nice to have an auto daily driver & a manual weekend-warrior, especially if you have to contend with peak-hour traffic.

As Alan said (he's learned quickly - only owned a Z for about a month...) get a good shell - there isn't enough money in your bank-balance to buy all the nice aftermarket bits that are available for the Z series. But it's much more fun saving for them than fixing rust.

JMHO
Ben
Adelaide,
South Australia

z432 01-01-2002 08:22 PM

Hi
I totally agree with Alan. There are some very common places where the early zeds will rust.
-The lower "dog leg" behind the doors.
-the area under the battery tray
-floors of course
-the areas around and under the rubber window seals
-of course the wheel well flanges

I am sure that there are some areas I am forgetting, so I hope some one else can add there own input.
Good luck
Oh yeah, buy the best example you can afford it will save you money in the long run.

AlansZ 01-04-2002 08:15 PM

although i have nothing to compare it to, the 240 is definately the best in my opinion (looks wise)

Alan, Australia

BackseatZ 01-05-2002 08:54 AM

Hey Ben; Am I reading that right? You have a 3.1 stroker twin turbo L-series motor? If so that's one hell of a motor!

Joey
1976 280Z 2+2
2+2s are not ugly

rigez 01-27-2002 01:28 PM

I agree with Ben the automatics suck. I owned a 240 with a automatic. Did not enjoy it as much as I would've if it was a manual transmission. If you are going to keep it stock go for the stick. If you are looking to pump it up then a auto is ok I guess.

Happy hunting for your Z!

Warren

jade 01-27-2002 01:58 PM

I just got my 280 for 400 bucks.. It's quite ugly right now, but the body and frame and engine are sound. The only rust spot [ew!] was in the spare wheel-well. Rusted clean through. It's fixed now though. Time to do the interior!

never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker