240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

better clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 08:57 PM

better clutch?

I'm young, like to go fast, and love to spin the tires on my Z. The only problem I've ran into is that I have to replace clutches after a while because they begin to slip. I'm using a duralast clutch from Autozone, which gets the job done, but slips over time from excessive tire fryage. I bought this clutch when I smoked my first one (I actually made it slip, and when I was accelerating to pass someone, I tore off the rest of the clutch disc, where there was no more clutch pad left ) and it has a limited lifetime warranty, where as long as there is some pad left, I can exchange it. Not a bad deal, I don't mind dropping the transmission to change the clutch every so often, but I'd rather not have to. I've looked into getting a centerforce II clutch or maybe even the dual friction centerforce, but I was curious if they would stand up better to tire fryage. I don't want to drop $300 for a good clutch kit just for it to wear out at the same time that the duralast clutch would. I would possibly also purchase a fidanza aluminum flywheel at the same time if I went with the centerforce kit, but I just wanted to get some input. Overall, I just want a better clutch that won't toast when frying the tires.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:25 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

DO NOT GET THE Fidanza flywheel!

You will warp it very quickly with this type of clutch dumping.

No Centerforce clutch will hold up much better than the stock Nissan clutch without proper break-in or under this kind of abuse.

If you want a clutch to last under this kind of abuse, you need to get a real clutch designed for drag racing.

Call Superior Friction in San Jose, CA and tell them you want a 4 puck cluth disk and pressure plate for your Datsun 240z.

Superior Friction
1610 Old Bayshore Highway
San Jose, CA 95112
(408) 436-1101

This clutch will handle a minimum of 450hp at the drag strip.

You'll find it's a little more difficult to drive away from a stop sign and you better start working out with your left leg...

One word of warning, you're going to smoke your tranny, differential, u-joints and wheel bearings someday soon if you keep this up... Under that kind of abuse, you have probably DRASTICALLY reduced the expected life of these components.

When's the last time you replaced the gear oil in the differential? The tranny?

You better start planning/saving now to replace/repair these parts.

Last edited by lww; 06-22-2005 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:59 AM

yeah, I'd agree. I don't abuse it too much, but I like to smoke the tires when taking off if racing or whatnot, which isn't all the time. the transmission oil was changed about a year and a half ago, but I haven't changed my differential oil yet. the u-joints have a little slop, but no vibration when driving. I'm not one of those guys that smoke the tires everytime they stop, or anytime they have a chance to, but I just want something that has a little more grip and less slip.

As for pedal pressure, I'm ready for that. My 94 Ranger has a heavy duty transmission (or so my father says), and the clutch pedal is stiff as all hell. After driving the truck while my Z was down and getting back in the Z did I realize that the Z is a much easier vehicle to drive. I actually thought that the Z's clutch wasn't engaging or getting enough pedal throw because of how little effort I had to put into it.

I agree that it is abuse to drive the Z like that and to spin the tires and such, but I also think that if taken proper care that it shouldn't hurt anything. As I said, I don't abuse it to the point of overrevving, I just get off the clutch a little fast when taking off, and it tends to break the tires loose.