240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

74 260z

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 10:11 AM

74 260z

Brand new to this forum, thought Id ask for some insight on my 74 260z. Blew up the engine a few years ago (not literally but the main bearing is shot) Ive started the process of removing the engine, taking out the radiator, air cleaner, sensor wires & hoses, working on carburetors currently. Is it worth it to try and rebuild it at this point or find an alternative? Im not sure of a budget at the moment, kinda just playing it by ear and figuring things out. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 06-25-2016, 01:38 PM

Hi Joey, welcome to the forum. Tell us more about your 260Z, post some photos if you can.

What is the car's condition and what do you want to do with it? Is it a daily driver, autocross, show car, track car?

What's your skill level? Sounds more than beginner but from there can't tell. Maybe it's more like what's your comfort level about taking on a project.

There are all sorts of motor options with these cars. They range from staying with an original matching numbers motor to dropping in LS series V8. In between could be installing an L28 from a 280Z or ZX and so on. It all depends on what you want to do, your skill, the time you have available and of course your budget.

You can read about my personal journey with a 260Z and see the forum support I got (there was lots for which I'm grateful) here: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-...project-37922/
Old 06-25-2016, 03:45 PM

The exterior of the Z is in pretty good shape minus a few bumps. The interior needs a lot of work, tears in the leather seats, a few cracks in the dashboard, hole in the floorboard. Its been sitting for about 5 years so of course its got rust in some places.

I really want to get it running again, it was a daily driver driver but im wanting to make it a daily/show maybe even a track car. Just enough to drive it around and take it to some car shows with friends. It was my father's car before handing it down to me. Everything is original however, it was repainted red (from its original tan/brown).

Im no expert thats for sure but a beginner or novice at most. I've done minor work like changing the brakes/pads out, nothing with the engine until now. Im definitely up for making it a project! I considered rebuilding the L26 or swapping in a L28et, RB26, or even a 2Jz.. if I can get my hands on some more money.

College kid here, my parents are all for fixing it up and will help where they can (financially) but it is ultimately up to me to pay for it. So far ive been following the manual and getting tips from anyone I can on how to take out the engine/rebuild it, although I haven't gotten to actually taking the engine out yet.

Thanks for your help, youve got a sweet ride !! and how do you add pictures?
Old 06-25-2016, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyD1
... how do you add pictures?
When in the reply page, scroll down further. You'll see a button that says "Manage Attachments". That's the one. Hit it and a window will pop up which allows you to either upload photos (1600x1200 max) and other attachments.

Pretty simple once you get to the pop-up window. Once the upload is complete, you can leave them as thumbnails which will appear at the bottom of your post or, you can copy the link locations (right click option on the link) and paste them in specific locations in your post - see the icon which looks like mountains against a yellow background with a dot in the upper right corner that's supposed to be a sun.

You'll get it ...

Last edited by beg3yrs; 06-26-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:52 PM

Right on. Here are a few pics of it Ill submit some more as I go
Attached Thumbnails 74 260z-img_4040.jpg   74 260z-img_4042.jpg   74 260z-img_4043.jpg  
Old 06-26-2016, 08:14 PM

Very nice. Looks from the photos like a solid car. L series motors are pretty bullet proof if taken care of. If you just want to drive it, IMHO, get the existing motor fixed. Looks like the carbs have already been changed to the round tops - that's good!
Old 06-27-2016, 06:20 AM

This may be a loaded question or just rhetorical.. but Im real close to being able to pull the motor, I just need a hoist really everything has been disconnected from the engine, getting ready to disconnect it from the transmission.

In order for a rebuild, is it a good idea just to replace every piece inside the engine? or just the parts that are worn down.. also Is this something I can just do myself or is it depending on the damage that I will say, "have to take it to a head shop"?
Old 06-27-2016, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyD1
This may be a loaded question or just rhetorical.. but Im real close to being able to pull the motor, I just need a hoist really everything has been disconnected from the engine, getting ready to disconnect it from the transmission.

In order for a rebuild, is it a good idea just to replace every piece inside the engine? or just the parts that are worn down.. also Is this something I can just do myself or is it depending on the damage that I will say, "have to take it to a head shop"?
First of all, it might be better to pull the engine with the transmission attached. Seems to me that most folk do it that way (I did) and the reason may be that reattaching the transmission when mounted in the car is likely to be very difficult. It was hard enough when I reattached the two outside the car.

As far as the rebuild goes, I'm not experienced there but ... I just gotta say that head shops today don't specialize in car parts.

If you've got the head off and have the budget, might be a real good idea to take it to a machine shop.... even take the block and get both sides worked over.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:38 PM

my 260z stalled and acted like it was out of gas. I had spark but no fuel to the carbs.
AAA show up late and a helpful neighbor added about four gallons and the tank was full!!! It started and ran perfect. the fuel pick up must have had something todo with it. I drained more gas , down to 1/4 tank and still runs Perfect!! afraid to drive
Old 06-29-2016, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by thenry
my 260z stalled and acted like it was out of gas. I had spark but no fuel to the carbs.
AAA show up late and a helpful neighbor added about four gallons and the tank was full!!! It started and ran perfect. the fuel pick up must have had something todo with it. I drained more gas , down to 1/4 tank and still runs Perfect!! afraid to drive
Did you mean to post in this thread? I see it is your first post on the forum. As this is an entirely different subject (you've hijacked this thread), you should start a different thread. Also, unless you are simply providing useful information, you should ask a question ...

Move this to a new post and there's some information for you.

Last edited by beg3yrs; 06-29-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by beg3yrs
Did you mean to post in this thread? I see it is your first post on the forum. As this is an entirely different subject (you've hijacked this thread), you should start a different thread. Also, unless you are simply providing useful information, you should ask a question ...

Move this to a new post and there's some information for you.

Not sure what I hijacked. What is a thread? Also, I should have added, What can I do so it doesn't happen again.

thenry
Old 07-23-2016, 07:46 AM

Ah! I haven't replied in a while, caught up with work and cleaning out the garage for space to put the engine... once its actually out. I started disconnecting the transmission to pull everything out together, however I was able to get in touch with someone about a 280z and 280zx

I found a l28 engine from a 77 280z, 114k miles, runs smooth, he's already taken the engine out to do a v8 swap. The guy wants $600 but might be willing to negotiate. I also have a neighbor with a 280zx, all original with 240k miles on the car. Haven't really talked to him about the price, it almost seems worthless to pull that engine from an already running and in good shape car. What are your thoughts on swapping out the l26 for the 77 l28?
Old 07-29-2016, 10:01 AM

I'd do the swap to the 280Z motor and then take my time to rebuild the original.