240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

240z rear bumper to 280z...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 06:41 AM

You have to take the shocks and mounts off, then the 240 style bumpers will bolt right on. The body of the car is essentially the same as the 240Z.
Wrong, the 240 bumpers do not just bolt up. Even though the bodies are so similar, they are just a little different. The area where the tie down hooks bolt up to on the 280's are offset just enough to where you can't bolt the 240 bumper flanges up. There was a post a while back addressing the exact same question. When I did the same on my '77, I ended up using the tie down hooks as a starting point and welding the 240 brackets to them.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:16 AM

The '78 280Z I just bought had the original bumpers removed, with a pair of 240Z bumpers sitting in the hatch section waiting to be installed. And they will wait (at least the rear). from what my mechanic tells me, the front bumper *can* fit without retrofitting, but the rear will need to be re-drilled.

I will agree that the 280Z without the larger bumper does look nicer, but I cannot drive without them here in south TX, where everyone else has a Ford 150 and likes to drive thisclose to you.

I'm going to have my mechanic attach the front bumper for the time being, but want to place one of those 'fiberglass bumpers', the ones that are semi-customized. Wish I knew the exact term. I might have to do the same for the rear, too. Finding a decent set of bumpers with all the attachments is next to impossible, and just as expensive as if I were to order them from a catalog. Not having a garage, or an automotive-inclined husband (my husband's a merchant marine engineer, and car engines and parts are microscopic compared to the giant ship engines he's used to) also makes it easier to have bumpers added. I used to have an '86 300ZX Turbo, and liked the look of the bumpers; maybe something like that might be doable, especially for those of us who just want to restore the car, just not to original specs.

Old 09-08-2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Brandy
want to place one of those 'fiberglass bumpers', the ones that are semi-customized. Wish I knew the exact term. I used to have an '86 300ZX Turbo, and liked the look of the bumpers; maybe something like that might be doable, especially for those of us who just want to restore the car, just not to original specs.

Brandy,
Have you looked at an MSA catalog? Here is a link to their online store...
MSA.com
This is probably the kit you are looking for with the bumper integrated with the air dam for a more updated look.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:47 PM

I'd like to put that on my 280Z also, but not sure how the rear bumper would work out with the huge rear fenders that I have. Maybe I could just do the front and do the shaved look out back...hmmmmmm