240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Tax Return = Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:45 PM

Tax Return = Engine Rebuild

I filled out my taxes a few days ago, and I'm getting back $360, so I decided I'm finally going to pull my engine and have it rebuilt. For anyone who hasn't read my engine story, I spun a rod bearing in my original numbers matching engine which I figured out was due to a cracked head sometime later, and the sucker was seized. I couldn't afford to get the crank fixed, so the car sat until I found a guy on ebay that was giving away a L24 block. I jumped on the deal, bought a new head, and slapped the engine together. She ran once again, but the ebay block had bad oil control rings that the PO failed to tell me about, so she burns oil like crazy. After doing some thinking, I have decided that I want to rebuild the numbers matching block, and once again have my Z as reliable as possible. I want to pull the crank and rods out of the ebay engine, put the numbers matching pistons onto the ebay rods, and piece together the original block with the crank and rods. From what I understand, this shouldn't be too much of a problem. I am going to do some machine work, which I will list below.

So, I have a plan, but I need parts. With my tax return, I plan on buying:
  • Standard piston rings
  • Main bearings
  • Rod bearings
  • Rear main oil seal
  • Timing cover gasket and front crankshaft seal
  • Head gasket
  • Oil pan gasket
  • Valve cover gasket
  • Oil pressure sensor
  • Assembly lube
  • Distributor
I also need some machine work:
  • Measurement of pistons and cylinder bore to check for need of oversize pistons/rings
  • Measurement of crank and rods to check for bearing type
  • Cylinder honing
  • Crank and rod micropolish
  • Block hot tank
  • Flywheel resurface
I also have some literature to help me with the engine rebuild, such as a trusty Haynes manual, and "How to rebuild your Nissan & Datsun OHC Engine" by Tom Monroe, which was very kindly given to me by one of the members from ClassicZcars.com (I forget who it was, but I do appreciate it greatly! You know who you are, speak up! ).

I do have a few concerns though. On the original block, one of my spark plug ceramics fell out of the plug and nicked away at the piston face. I'll get pictures of the damage, but I'm not sure if this will affect the operation of the engine at all. If it will, can the matching piston from the ebay block be used in the original block? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's a bad idea to mix pistons between blocks. I also had water and oil mix on the ebay block before I realized the original head was cracked, but didn't drive the car once I saw it mixed, so I'm afraid the crankshaft may be scored. If so, I can have the crank machined for oversize bearings.

I feel like I'm forgetting something, so if you guys have any ideas, post them here!