240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 06:54 PM
ダットサンマニアック

Should I do it?

I was going to put my new headers and rebuilt SU in today, but I was wondering if you guys would recommend the use of blue loctite for securing the bolts holding the header and intake in place? Should I do it?
Old 07-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Taste My Rainbow

I've Read About A Copper Like Substance Thats Supposed To Be Better Like A Liquid Gasket Thing.. I Bet Nismopick Or Bleach Know Whta It Is
Old 07-27-2006, 07:43 AM

Just my 2 cents: Do *not* use loctite blue, you'll never be able to get it apart again. Normally blue will allow you to get the parts disassembled in the future with tools and some effort, but after they get nice and baked in the heat where they're located, you'll be out of luck. The PO of the head I picked up from the machinist on Tuesday did that, and it cost me $100 extra to get the damage repaired (two Tein inserts up front, weld and refabricate the last stud area). Just use antiseize on the threads. One jar will last you a lifetime.

The copper stuff Skittle is talking about is the form-a-gasket copper. It's usually next to the blue RTV stuff at the autoparts store, and is made by the same people, though it's very different stuff. I think it might have been Bleach who even had a photo around here recently of how he used it on the manifold/head interface? I used it on the timing cover of my truck when I replaced the timing chain 75k ago, and it worked great. Haven't tried it on Z's or on manifolds, though.

Dave
Old 07-27-2006, 07:58 AM
ダットサンマニアック

Originally Posted by BoulderZ
Just my 2 cents: Do *not* use loctite blue, you'll never be able to get it apart again. Normally blue will allow you to get the parts disassembled in the future with tools and some effort, but after they get nice and baked in the heat where they're located, you'll be out of luck. The PO of the head I picked up from the machinist on Tuesday did that, and it cost me $100 extra to get the damage repaired (two Tein inserts up front, weld and refabricate the last stud area). Just use antiseize on the threads. One jar will last you a lifetime.
Dave
whooa thanks for the input there! I read the details of loctite blue and I was forbearing the use of the stuff when it stated 115lbs breakaway force after curing. Anway, thx, your a lifesaver!

Allen
Old 07-27-2006, 12:10 PM
I have a present for you...

Loctite fails at about 400 degrees anyway. Probably best to use the copper stuff to help make a good seal especially on the header because they are not as flat as the head surfaces. That way you won't have to over tighten them. Lubricant on threads is not a good idea because it requires more torque to get them as tight as without. That's why you shouldn't use it on your lugnuts.