240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Need quidance Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 03:21 PM

Need quidance Please

Son is coming over tommorrow with his 73 240, having charging problems. He did the 83 alt upgrade, and g_d knows what else he has done, said he has been thru 2 alts and 2 optima batts.
Said if he dreive s during the day it doesnt go dead, but if he drives at night with head lights it dies fairly quick with a dead batt.
Have all the tools and the shitty FSM wiring diagram and plenty of meters, some one give me some starting points please! Will check his alt uprade first to make sure that aint the prob, but he said it was ok for awhile after he did it????
Thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Taste My Rainbow

sounds like he has a short or a wire hooked up wrong.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:57 PM

My guess is that it is wired up incorrectly. Check blues tech tips for the correct wiring. You may also need a rectifing diode (the biggest one theyve got) from Radio Shack to avoid the run-on issue. A multimeter is invaluable at troubleshooting charging issues. Remember 12v is a good battery, 14v is a good charging system. Also check continuity from the output wire on the alternator (disconnected) and the pos battery cable (also disconnected). And ALWAYS, ALWAYS have the store test the alternator before you take it home. Hooray for lifetime warranties!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Über User

did he remove the external voltage regulator when he put the zx internally regultaed alternator in?
Old 01-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Taste My Rainbow

finally you joined the site huh sean??? When you gonna post pics of your Z for every one else to see?? HAve fun this weekend at drill with the weather... still hope to see ya to get mine running better.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:27 PM

Found out drill is next weekend, so I might be fixing your car this weekend...
Old 01-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Well I Hope So... I Have A Few Parts To Give Ya Like Weather Stripping Gauge Clusters A Few Windows A Rear Hatch And Some Other Small Goodies...
Old 01-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Taste My Rainbow

By The Way The Pic By Mine Is What I Want Mine To Look Like When Done.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:15 PM

Ok got the charging problem fixed, looks like it had been modified twice or something, had 2 of the square pugs in it , both were butchered pretty bad, had to unwrap the loom to trace and then found a bundle of melted wires!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well lets see, 7 hours and 2 parts store runs later its seems ok, told him to monitor everything for awhile before re looming the wires, Yeah that will happen.
Then found it only running on 5 cyls. #1 oil fouling plug as soon as you clean it and put it back in. Guess we'll tackle that tommorow!!!!!

AGAIN I SAY "NOW I KNOW WHY LIONS EAT THERE YOUNG"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 07:04 PM

The alternators usually come with a pigtail in case the connector is dead, that is probably where the extra plug came from. Check that plug for spark with it out of the engine. It could be getting a weak spark for a variety of reasons. Also, check the injectors with a long screwdriver (tip pressed against injector, handle to your ear) to see if they are all going ticky ticky like they should. If the engine harness got damaged, the injector could be holding wide open...
Old 01-14-2007, 04:33 AM

Lin you must have missed something in my post. Its OIL fowling, have tested and cleaned and does fire. Orig its plug wire at the dizzy cap was not connected and sparking inside the boot, but it seems odd that much oil could accumilate in the cylinder that would foul it in a matter of seconds, nice clean ol will drip from the plug when you pull it back out. wonder if there is a plug that will fire thru this oil contamination until it burns it out and can go back to NGK plug?
And never have I seen an alt come with a plug , especially one of these Datsun Factory Square plugs on the 240s.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:58 AM

Severe fouling from fuel can look a lot like oil fouling, so just checking. Im not sure where you can pick them up anymore, but there is such a thing as a spark plug anti-fouler. It screws into the head and the plug screws into it, keeping the plug partially out of the combustion chamber...
Old 01-15-2007, 02:55 AM

Yes I remeber those adapters from years ago, had forgot about them! But anyway no need found and fixed!intake rocker arm, spring ect came off just alying there, got tose back on and adjusted all the valves, then found the idle circuit on front DGV blocked and both way out of adjustment, everything up and running like it is supposed to, FOR NOW !!!!!!!! lets see what happens next!
Thanks for Inputs Folks!
Old 01-15-2007, 08:11 PM

Good to hear!