240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:20 AM

Fuel Tank

So... Have an Idea here, So want input.
My 1976 demonstrated to me how inconvenient it is when the fuel screen clogs right as you try to merge into freeway traffic. (In Las Vegas No Less!)
As are most Z tanks, Mine is basically trash. A large filter before the pump helped a lot; but not my favorite way of going about things. Coating the tank after shaking around a handfull of screws...Still not my Favorite.

I did some research and found a variety of Companies that produce Rotomolded plastic products, including Gas Tanks. The consumer supplies a CAD file for the Company to give an estimate on machining the tooling, and then a per-item cost of production. Tooling cost (Making the Mold) strikes me as probably a couple or three thousand Dollars. I would also guess the production cost to be $200 each.
Dividing the Tooling cost between 20-30 tanks plus production looks like a cost of $300 each (Just educated Guess at this point.)
Personally, I would give that for a tank without blinking! That's not much higher than the Plastic tanks on my dirtbikes.

Most new vehicles have plastic tanks, and they tend to stretch if impacted. But of course even though sold as fuel tanks, they are not DOT tested, and may need to be labeled "Offroad use Only".

So my question is this: "Who's interested?"
If enough to move along, I'll contact the Rotomolding company to get some more accurate figures, and if still feasable, see about having an engineer produce a CAD file from one of these rusty tanks I have here.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:23 PM

Are you just talking about the 75/76 tank? Are you also accounting for baffles in the tank? What are you basing the $200 to $300 price on?
Have you contacted the company, yet?

I'm not trying to shoot holes in your idea. It just needs more definition.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:16 PM

Try Gas Tank Renu

Just a thought but you might want to try Gas Tank Renu Gas Tank RENU - USA as they basically "plasticize" your existing gas tank and have franchised dealers throughout the country.

I had mine done over ten years ago and I have yet to have another problem.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:55 PM

Ok; I used the Word "Guess"...
Being at least marginally intellegent, I did some research on Rotomolding. That, along with extensive knowledge on manufacturing, I'm pretty certain my "Guess" is reasonably in line. At this point just determining interest before wasting time pursuing estimates.
Baffles slow the slosh. Most of us would never notice. Those who will will either use a fuel cell or insert foam made for this. What I have noticed is when It quits in the road.
As far as Plastic coating the existing tank; If your tank is "kinda ok..." sure, coating is fine. But the same baffles that prevent sloshing or accessing the inlet screen will prevent adequate cleaning. Coating rust and crud is never good.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Pez

Originally Posted by FlytMedic
Ok; I used the Word "Guess"...
Being at least marginally intellegent, I did some research on Rotomolding. That, along with extensive knowledge on manufacturing, I'm pretty certain my "Guess" is reasonably in line. At this point just determining interest before wasting time pursuing estimates.
Baffles slow the slosh. Most of us would never notice. Those who will will either use a fuel cell or insert foam made for this. What I have noticed is when It quits in the road.
As far as Plastic coating the existing tank; If your tank is "kinda ok..." sure, coating is fine. But the same baffles that prevent sloshing or accessing the inlet screen will prevent adequate cleaning. Coating rust and crud is never good.
You can get a reconditioned one here for just under $400...

Datsun 280z Fuel Tank

I like your idea though, I would however try to offer something different than a "new" stock tank. I am looking for options to make the gas tank smaller. I want to shave the back end and dont want to see the huge fuel tank under it. If a business were to offer something like that it would be filling a need that isn't already filled.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:48 AM

You have to understand their process.

Your statement "But the same baffles that prevent sloshing or accessing the inlet screen will prevent adequate cleaning." doesn't really apply as the cut the tank open and dump it in hot caustic acid so no rust remains. Yup, "Coating rust and crud is never good." but they do not do that.

BTW, I think you will find that most stock tanks have baffles to prevent sloshing because it can be a problem even on street cars.